Super Challenge registration thread (18/19)

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Super Challenge registration thread (18/19)

Postby Serpent » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:08 pm

With Cristina's blessing, I present the Super Challenge 2018/2019!!!

The challenge is on between May 1st 2018 and December 31st 2019. It begins and ends at midnight your local time.

As before, the 2018/2019 challenge entails:
- 100 films (90 minutes each)
- 100 books (50 pages each)
- in 20 months

- You can do a half challenge which would entail 50 books, 50 films
- You can sign up with multiple languages (regardless of challenge type). You can also choose to do language families.
- Registering with your native language is not allowed (apart from tracking the items symbolically as "1 page" or "1 minute")
Feel free use a social tracking website or your log. You can also join an external challenge.

To register, you state:
Language:
Challenge: (full, half, double)
Current level:
Comments, links: Any comments you feel like adding as to your reasons for the choice of language, type of challenge or material or your expectations for the outcome. Feel free to post a link to your Twitter account and/or log.
(The Twitter bot is available at https://twitter.com/langchallenge)

The template is repeated in this thread's second post. For simplicity you can just CLICK HERE - remember to remove the {quote} tags!

NB: PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS THE THREAD ONLY FOR REGISTERING, UPDATING YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS AND FOR GIVING ENCOURAGEMENT TO YOUR FELLOW SUPER CHALLENGERS.
For discussions about the rules or the interpretations of them, please go to the Super Challenge discussion thread.

Infographic for the films part (by jeffers). Green represents the original idea, yellow and orange are allowed, red is not allowed.

Quick reminders:
- If you just have 5 books and 5 films then you read them 20 times. Though my guess is that by the time you have read/seen them 5 times, you WILL get other films or books.
- A film counts even if you see it with subtitles in your native language or vice versa (in your own language but with TL subtitles). If both subtitles and audio is in a non-native language you have to choose which language you want to count. The same goes for the LR method (Listening-Reading).
- If it lasts approximately 45 minutes (a show/series) it counts as half a film. If it lasts more than three hours it counts as two films. The bot counts 90 minutes for a film.
- You can do fiction or any other material – a documentary on whales, or a book about gardening works just as well as a novel.
- With parallel texts, remember not to count your native language. Usually this means counting 50% of the total text, or a bit less if there are explanations in your L1. If the text is in two non-native languages, you can count it as a half for each.
- A manga counts as 5 manga pages = 1 book page.
- Poetry/librettos count as 1/3 of a page
- For a children's book with large letters, pictures and few words on every page you count 5 pages as one page. When in doubt, use your best judgement.
- You can be at any level when the challenge starts.
- The material covered for this challenge can be counted and done in parallel with any other challenge.
- Podcasts and YouTube videos must have a minimum length of 10 minutes to count.
- If you want to join later than May 1st 2018 you are welcome to do so.
14 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Registration

Postby Serpent » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:14 pm

:!:
Language:
Challenge: (full, half, double)
Current level:
Comments, links: Any comments you feel like adding as to your reasons for the choice of language, type of challenge or material or your expectations for the outcome. Feel free to post a link to your Twitter account and/or log.
:arrow:
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

vov
Languages: Danish (N), English (C1), German (B2), French (A1-ish)

Re: Super Challenge registration thread

Postby vov » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:39 pm

Language: English, German
Challenge: (full, half, double) English full, German half
Current level: English C1-ish, German B2
Comments, links: I'm not completely sure whether I'll do a full or double challenge in English, and whether or not I'll do a half or full challenge in German. For now I'll just stick with the less ambitious goals.
4 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:01 pm

Language: German
Challenge: Full for right now.
Current level: A1.1 on my last online test
Comments: I will probably be using Youtube a lot for the videos, but hope to progress to watching German crime shows. I'm hoping to hit B1 by the end of the Challenge.
3 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1131 / 15000

lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:20 pm

Language: Family-Romance
Challenge: Double
Current level: Italian B1/B2, Latin/Sicilian A0

Comments, links: 99% of what I do will be Italian but since I may find Latin and/or Sicilian materials that meet the requirements I may as well include them. I plan to concentrate on reading more this time which means I will not be able to read any English books as they tend to kill my momentum.
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:40 pm

Language: Arabic and Japanese
Challenge: full
Current level: Beginner
Comments, links: My plan was to watch anime with Arabic subtitle, and a member on HTLAL gave me this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGA34hsMMn0.
3 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

sheirena
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~A2), French (A1), Polish (A2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5670

Re: Registration

Postby sheirena » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:45 pm

Language: Japanese
Challenge: Full
Current level: Elementary (A2)
Comments, links: I intermittently try to learn Japanese for almost 15 years, and progress is minimal. Main hurdle is kanji, because I mainly learn things by reading - and I can't with Japanese. I hope having some real goal can help me to advance.
2 x
SC Japanese
books: : 0 / 100
films: : 0 / 100

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:27 pm

Language: Croatian
Current level: B2ish
Comments, links: I did a double challenge in Croatian last time around but I'm just aiming for a single challenge this time, mainly because I'm trying to use my spare time to focus on Russian. I have a subscription to a Croatian TV on demand service and I'm planning to watch a lot of telenovelas :) The films part of the challenge is always a lot harder for me than the books.

Here is my log and my Twitter.
4 x

picklelanguage
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish(B1-B2), German and French (I suck)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7984

Postby picklelanguage » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:07 pm

Language: Spanish
Current level: B1.5 I guess
Comments, links: So, I plan to do more than just a full SC. However, I don't want to commit to all of them now, so that when I'm working hard at this challenge, I don't have to think about the 2-3 more challenges I want to get done as well. So for now, just going to be doing this one.

Hoping that by the end of this full challenge, I'll be able to consider myself B2. we'll see.
2 x
Spanish - Half Challenge
: 0 / 50 Books 0/50
: 0 / 50 Films 0/50
German - Half Challenge
: 0 / 50 Books 0.0/50
: 0 / 50 Films 0.2/50

Allison
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native), Spanish (high intermediate-ish), American Sign Language (ASL) (I dabble occasionally)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5177

Postby Allison » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:17 pm

Language: Spanish
Challenge: full
Current level: Somewhere in the Bs. At my highest level last year, I could read a page in two minutes, with minimal lookups, and I could understand some TV without subtitles and some I had more trouble with. I'm sure I've backslid since then—not exactly sure how much.
Comments, links: My log is here. I "failed" the Super Challenge last time in that I did not complete the full challenge, as I aimed to, but I kept pace for the first half and it greatly helped my skills. I've been basically away from Spanish for a while, so I'm getting back into it. I have a bunch of books on my Kindle and Netflix is my main source for TV.
3 x

Return to “Language Challenges”