Super Challenge registration thread (18/19)

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Re: Super Challenge registration thread

Postby jeffers » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:48 am

Personally, I wouldn't be doing a book/film challenge before the book/film challenge. I reckon that would burn me out: a bit like climbing up a mountain part way before having to descend and start again.

The whole world is having to make adjustments and finding new ways of doing things for the next few months at least. It seems to me like a wasted opportunity not to bring forward this challenge which seems designed for this period of enforced isolation.

Nevertheless, I'll go with the decision of the organisers.
2 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:12 pm

I think I’ll try to read a few books in English and get it out of my system before the start then. I’m having a bit of trouble concentrating right now, so I don’t know that I’d get much reading done in a difficult language right now anyway.
2 x

picklelanguage
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish(B1-B2), German and French (I suck)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7984

Postby picklelanguage » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:20 am

I'd be happy to try something like that. Maybe it could have a sort of theme to sort of differentiate itself as pre-challenge. Just a couple things that come to mind
- The Deep Dive - Read a single book twice. This can sort of scale as easy and as hard as you want. Could be a short story or a full novel.
- The Pre-Modern Pre-Challenge - Read something that was written over 200 years ago
- The Taste - Do a short challenge in a language you do not intend to do your challenge in and haven't used in a previous challenge. Who knows, you may find your plans changing.
3 x
Spanish - Half Challenge
: 0 / 50 Books 0/50
: 0 / 50 Films 0/50
German - Half Challenge
: 0 / 50 Books 0.0/50
: 0 / 50 Films 0.2/50

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:41 pm

So we're a month away! Is someone going to start up a new SC 2020-21 registration thread? :)
5 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

jonm
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv.)
Bangla (int.)
French (passive)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9402

Postby jonm » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:10 pm

Quick SC question, and please consider this low-priority...

Would it be possible to do the whole Indo-European family? I'm learning modern and ancient languages from four or five IE branches depending on how you count them (Romance, Germanic, Greek, and Indo-Iranian). I could do separate partial challenges, but I wouldn't really know how to proportion them. And I do look for connections across the branches and basically approach it as one big family (I'm also studying Proto-Indo-European after a fashion, but of course no SC material there).

Looks like there's an ISO code for Indo-European, "ine", that doesn't conflict with any of the two-letter codes.

Thanks, and as I say, this definitely isn't pressing, just thought I should ask ahead of time since it would involve adding a family to the bot.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:54 pm

jonm wrote:Quick SC question, and please consider this low-priority...

Would it be possible to do the whole Indo-European family? I'm learning modern and ancient languages from four or five IE branches depending on how you count them (Romance, Germanic, Greek, and Indo-Iranian). I could do separate partial challenges, but I wouldn't really know how to proportion them. And I do look for connections across the branches and basically approach it as one big family (I'm also studying Proto-Indo-European after a fashion, but of course no SC material there).

Looks like there's an ISO code for Indo-European, "ine", that doesn't conflict with any of the two-letter codes.

Thanks, and as I say, this definitely isn't pressing, just thought I should ask ahead of time since it would involve adding a family to the bot.

Shouldn't be a problem, and I can always add a number if there is a conflict. Of course someone might look at the code and fix the problem before then.
https://github.com/rdearman/superchallengebot
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:18 am

While it's technically possible, wouldn't that be a bit too much? I do Romance, Slavic and Germanic challenges too. What's your issue exactly? You don't need to set goals for each subgroup if you don't want to :) You'll get a star for each 1250 pages completed in the same "language".

(I do think it would be great to bring back sorting by the totals - do we still have the code? Back when surrealix handed over the challenge he definitely had it)
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:15 am

Serpent wrote:While it's technically possible, wouldn't that be a bit too much? I do Romance, Slavic and Germanic challenges too. What's your issue exactly? You don't need to set goals for each subgroup if you don't want to :) You'll get a star for each 1250 pages completed in the same "language".

(I do think it would be great to bring back sorting by the totals - do we still have the code? Back when surrealix handed over the challenge he definitely had it)

The only code surrealix handed over was the one on the github site. So if he had some other version he didn't give it to me.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:34 pm

Please please let's start signing up. I'll fully jump in in July, cannot start right away, but I am already excited to start tons of fun reading and "official" tv series watching again!!!
6 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:20 am

rdearman wrote:
Serpent wrote:(I do think it would be great to bring back sorting by the totals - do we still have the code? Back when surrealix handed over the challenge he definitely had it)
The only code surrealix handed over was the one on the github site. So if he had some other version he didn't give it to me.
He turned off the feature in like 2014, but he said the code was still there. IDK if it's on github :| Can you ask him about it?
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “Language Challenges”