Super Challenge registration thread (18/19)

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: Registration

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:39 am

Language: French
Challenge: full edit: double
Current level: Somewhere beyond B2
Comments: This is my third SC and third time for French. I’ve completed the film component twice but not yet succeeded in the book department. That’s highly likely to change this time round ;)
5 x

Ketutar
Orange Belt
Languages: Finnish (N), Swedish, English, French (~A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3147

Postby Ketutar » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:42 am

Language: Romance languages
Challenge: full, divided
Current level: French probably B1, the others A1
Comments, links:
I am neglecting the Romance languages because I think they are "easy". I am able to read books and watch movies in French, Spanish and Italian, I don't think it takes that long to be able to do that in Portuguese as well. Romanian might take a bit more work, but I don't think it will be a real problem either.
I don't anticipate any problems with finding and watching/reading material in French, Spanish and Italian, the other two might be more difficult. There is a lot of literature in American Portuguese, which isn't a problem, really, as the main difference is the pronunciation... I think I'll find some Portuguese soap opera to watch, if not movies. Romanian... I think I'll find some books, but movies... I don't think so. Now, I haven't investigated that yet, but I don't expect to find much.
Expectations? I do expect becoming more comfortable with reading in these languages. Now, if I manage to get in some "actual" studying with grammar, speaking and writing, good. If not - is OK.

During the last Super Challenge, I did manage to get my French from "yeah, well, not a total idiot" to "I can comfortably read in this language and I understand most of what I read", and that's wonderful, but I think I managed to read... 5 books? I saw quite a lot of movies, though. Not 100. I mean, definitely didn't win the challenge. But I did read more books and watched more movies than I would have done without. So - it's still a victory :-D
3 x
Memrise: 656 / 1657
5000 words: 2300 / 5000

Bunnychu
Orange Belt
Languages: Romanian (N), English (?), Korean (Intermediate), Swedish (Beginner), French/Spanish (Elementary)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7956

Postby Bunnychu » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:45 am

Language: Korean
Challenge: half
Current level: A2-B1
Comments, links: I'm usually a slow reader. I hope I can rise to the challenge.
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Super Challenge registration thread

Postby rdearman » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:05 pm

The Bot is now taking registrations via twitter, the website still isn't up and configured with the new database, but that will happen soon. Some people have already tested the bot for me ( :roll: :ugeek: ) and even posted some reading and films. It is already May 1st in a couple of places.

In order to register you just need to send a tweet to the bot.

Tags in brackets are optional.
Example: "@langchallenge I'm going to #register and study #French for the Language Challenge."

If participating with multiple languages, simply tweet a new registration for each one.
Example: "@langchallenge I'm also going to #register for #Swedish."

Good luck all, and we'll have the leaderboard website up and running shortly.

EDIT: If you have any problems with registration or logging books or films over the next couple of days please PM me, or post in the Technical Support area and I'll respond as soon as I can.
8 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

schlaraffenland
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2)
Actively studying: French (C1), Japanese (~N5)
My old flames: Latin, Ancient Greek (Koine, Attic, Homeric)
On ice for now: Spanish, Korean, Turkish, Norwegian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5831

Postby schlaraffenland » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:29 pm

Challenge: Double
Current level: C1
Comments: After having completed a double challenge, I hope to have solidified my level and to feel as though C2 is within comfortable reach (maybe I'll sit an exam in 2020). I plan to read novels and nonfiction -- mostly social sciences and history in the latter category, I think -- and listen to a lot of political talk shows and the like. I read lots of newspaper and magazine articles, but I find these too cumbersome to bother tracking, so I'll really only keep track of paginated material.
4 x
: 120 / 150 Expressions françaises (120/150)

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:31 pm

Language: Russian
Challenge: Full
Current level:Around B2
Comments: Good luck to all ;)
5 x

Aozora
Orange Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17971

Postby Aozora » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:32 pm

Language: Japanese
Challenge: full
Current level: B2-C1?
Comments, links: Last time I finished with 201 films but only 74 books. This time I hope to keep up with the reading and meet my goal.

Challenge: half
Current level: A2?
Comments, links: First time attempting the challenge with French, but I hope to improve my stagnating French skills. If it goes really well, I might switch to the full challenge for French.
2 x
Super Challenge Books: 14 / 100
Super Challenge Films: 63 / 100

zjones
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1-certified), Spanish and Greek (abandoned)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9860

Postby zjones » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:35 pm

Challenge: Half
Current level: A1
Comments, links: I'm curious to see how this goes since I'm still A1, and I haven't done a lot to consume shows or books in French outside my course material. Hopefully I'll hit A2 sometime during this challenge. ;) My log is here: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7957.

Shows, movies and videos won't be a problem for me -- I have access to YouTube and Netflix, which have many native French titles available. I'm a little worried about reading, though. I'm a slow reader even in English, and reading in normal French is excruciating. Today I'll go on a hunt for easy, free, legal books online and see what I can find. This would be my chance to finally read Le Petit Prince.
4 x

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1), Mandarin Chinese (B1), Spanish (A2), Polish (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17648

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:52 pm

Language: German
Challenge: Double
Current level: C1

Language: Spanish
Current level: A1

Language: Mandarin
Current level: A2

Language: Korean
Challenge: Half
Current level: A0

Comments, links: I'm going all-in for this one to see how far it'll get me. Despite never completing a Super Challenge, it has proved to have had an impact on my German reading skills, so I'm hoping going for a double this time around will push me to the point where I'm reading pretty much effortlessly (I'm almost there now, depending on the text). I always feel like my Spanish level is higher than it is, but I did the Dialang listening and reading tests and got an A1 in both so, uh, time to seriously step up my game. For Mandarin, my first focus will be audio, then reading (I need to review a lot of characters) and for Korean, I'm planning on only really focusing on subtitled TV, though if I find FLC-approved texts and can read them (as in, if I have the ability :lol: ) then I don't mind adding some books in there too! ;) I have a twitter account with the same username as I have here and I'm probably going to create an SC log at some point this week.
5 x
pronouns: she/her

: 31 / 365 365-Day Language Challenge; de, zh, es

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:05 pm

Language: Romance (French, Italian, Spanish, Latin)
Challenge: Maybe one double challenge. Maybe four half-challenges.
Level: Mixed Bs. I read well, I can follow podcasts, I can speak once I've warmed up, and I don't even try to write. I'm a beginner at Latin.

Comments: I actually haven't decided yet if I want to register with one double challenge for the combined Romantic languages, or four half-challenges. Right now I'm leaning towards four halves: French, Italian, Spanish, and one general "romance" to capture both Latin and the Renaissance Italians (Dante, Petrarch, Boccaccio). I'm totally reliant on parallel texts for both Latin and the Renaissance guys, so it makes sense to me to lump them together.

I'd call it a "dead Romantics" category, but that might irritate all those people who insist that Latin is a living language.

For now, I'll be tracking on my log. I'll jump on the twitter-bot sometime this summer.
4 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

Return to “Language Challenges”