Team French Thread - Le Fil d'équipe français

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: Team French Thread - Le Fil d'équipe français

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:09 am

extralean wrote:Bon, bien que c'est très triste l'histoire de Tom; et je te donne mes condoléances; ç'a un peu coupé l'élan de cet discussion. Je suis content de voir qu'il y a un fil que pour nous qui affrontons la langue française.

Moi je vise au plus haut; vers le sommet et même plus loin encore; vers les étoiles et le certificat C2.

J'ai commencé un log ici. J'aimerai vous voir écrivant dedans!

Et voici mes réponses aux questions:
Favourite book: Ma plus récent revu de 5 étoiles sur goodreads était pour Les Désorientés par Amin Maalouf
Favourite band/singer/musician: Maitre Gims/Aznavour/Grand Corps Malade/Christophe Maé.
Favourite textbook: Assimil
Favourite audio learning resource: Streaming radio.

Anything else about your learning journey: Rien de très intéressant.

En esperant que ce post relance un peu ce fil.

Bienvenu et bienvenu aussi extralean. J'ai l'intention de passer l'examen C2 à l'avenir moi aussi. Alors ton voyage m'intéresse beaucoup. Comme je te l'ai déjà dit ... mais tu m'as téléphoné dix fois pour me demander de le répéter ici aussi...non, je plaisante, c'était cent fois ! Mais là-voilà quand même encore une fois- 'bonne chance avec l'examen c2 extralean!' Si tu as besoin d'aide, ne me demande pas ! Je n'en ai aucune idée ! Merci pour avoir devenu membre de notre équipe très bavarde !
0 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:10 am

Bonjour à tous.

Here is a quick update on where I stand. I'm still using
+French In Action
+Pimsleur French
+Duolingo
+Memrise

I added Pronounce It Perfectly In French to the mix.

I purchased all the books and audio for French In Action. Quite expensive! I found that while the videos are good, the only way for me to get the most out of the series is to use the workbook and study guides. It takes a long time to work through a chapter. At the rate I'm going I can't see myself finishing the first twenty-six chapters until early Spring 2016. The French In Action videos can also be found at the web site of Middlebury College. They also have the audio files that are needed to use the workbook. You do have to register, but it is free. Middlebury College

I also purchased a lot of books from CLE. These include Grammaire Progressive Du Français, Vocabulaire Progressive, Communication Progressive, etc. These are all at the débutant level and even that level is a challenge for me. They were written for students who can already speak French at an elementary school level.

I keep telling myself that language books are not a waste of money. Who needs to eat?

There are not enough hours in the day to do all the studying I should. And, because I get easily distracted while at my computer I'm using a program called Cold Turkey to block social media sites. If you do use this program be careful. Once you set it block access to social media (and you get to choose what sites) you are locked out of them for the time you choose. If you choose a very long time, such as 100 hours, you are blocked for four days. You cannot bypass it, you can't stop it with the task manager, or uninstall while it is running.

That's all for now. I hope we all have a good Autumn studying.
Tom
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

extralean
Orange Belt
Languages: English N
French C1
Spanish B2
Italian A2
German A1
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1283

Postby extralean » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:48 am

tomgosse wrote: These include Grammaire Progressive Du Français, Vocabulaire Progressive, Communication Progressive, etc.
I keep telling myself that language books are not a waste of money. Who needs to eat?

That's all for now. I hope we all have a good Autumn studying.

Hi Tom.

Those are good books; I used many of the series in the course of my learning.

There are many ways of acquiring language books in pdf form; the majority of which are quite easy on the pocket.

It's Spring in the best part of the world!

Cheers,

Thomas
1 x
: 53 / 52 53/52 Book Challenge. Reading: Ourania - J.M.G Le Clezio

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Français (A1)

Postby tomgosse » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:19 pm

extralean wrote:
It's Spring in the best part of the world!

Cheers,

Thomas

Enjoy your Spring in the Merry Old Land Of Oz!
0 x

extralean
Orange Belt
French C1
Spanish B2
Italian A2
German A1

Postby extralean » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:33 am

So how many people do we have learning French here? And at what levels?
1 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Français (A1)

Postby tomgosse » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:54 am

extralean wrote:So how many people do we have learning French here? And at what levels?

J'apprends le français.
Je suis un éternel débutant. :roll:

Choses que je dois faire : pratique plus écrit.
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:17 pm

B1 certified myself (March 2014), hoping to be able to pass B2 real soon with an aim to go to make it to C2 eventually.
1 x

extralean
Orange Belt
French C1
Spanish B2
Italian A2
German A1

Postby extralean » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:20 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:B1 certified myself (March 2014), hoping to be able to pass B2 real soon with an aim to go to make it to C2 eventually.

Unless you need to have the actual certificate; is there any reason you want to pay for the actual exam multiple times?

D’ailleurs Peter, ça me dérange que tu n'as pas d'avatar... il en faut un, pour la gloire de la France!
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:35 am

extralean wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:B1 certified myself (March 2014), hoping to be able to pass B2 real soon with an aim to go to make it to C2 eventually.

Unless you need to have the actual certificate; is there any reason you want to pay for the actual exam multiple times?

As its a lot of time and effort from one exam to the next, its a goal thing. It gives me a sense of progress, something to aim for, and verification of that progress/achieved level once i pass each one.

Edit: ...Je ne suis pas trop sûr si le premier ministre a besoin d'un avatar...
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:55 pm

Not sure whether I should rejoin now. I have completed my goals-DALF C2 and now I am mostly maintaining and any progress is gonna be slooooooow and impossible to notice. But I'll surely keep an eye on your logs, guys, and I'm sure you'll do great during the rest of the year!
1 x

Return to “Language Challenges”