6WC 6 Week Challenge - May 2018

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
strannik
White Belt
Languages: Finnish (n), English; FIGS of various sizes; poor Swedish, lopsided Portuguese; most actively learning Russian

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - May 2018

Postby strannik » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:14 pm

I'm going to do Persian this time around, and I'm aiming to pile up an honorable number of hours so hold onto your hats. Until starting Pimsleur Farsi earlier this week I had previously dabbled in Persian for about 10 hours many years ago so effectively I start from scratch.

#Ancient_Greek is the tag for Ancient Greek. I assume Nahuatl is similarly obvious, but I haven't tried.

For those who haven't played 6WC before, you really should try it. Don't forget your primary opponent in the hullabaloo is yourself. Recording even just a little bit of study every day is better than nothing. Look at the scoreboard for motivation. Don't look at the top if it's running away but look at who you can catch or draw away from.

John F. Kennedy said this about the 6-Week Challenge, "We choose to go to the moon in this 6-Week Challenge and do the other things, not because they are easy but because they are easy-peasy." See you there!
4 x

petr
White Belt
Languages: ­

Postby petr » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:18 am

I am in with Japanese. I am a beginner in Japanese, so far I have learnt hiragana and katakana and a few kanjis only. So I hope this 6WC will help me to make some progress.
0 x
Double SC English Books: 25 / 200 Movies: 83 / 200 Half SC French Books: 0 / 50 Movies: 2 / 50

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:40 pm

I just signed up for Danish. I'm a beginner and I've only spent a couple of weeks on Danish last year, and I'm on my second week this year, so a total of less a month, although I do know some closely related languages (beginner Icelandic, intermediate German, and native English).

I have no particular time goal but I want to finish Pimsleur and have the Duolingo tree complete with a crown level of at least 1 in each skill within the 6 weeks. I may consider some iTalki lessons depending on how far I get with the resources I already have and what my schedule is looking like.

I'll be posting updates in my log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7581
0 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

aledda
Yellow Belt
Languages: Español (N)
English (C2), Português (C2)

Studying now: 日本語 (N4->N3), 한국어 (beginner)

Dabbling: Italiano (beginner), Deutsch (beginner)

On the waiting list: 普通话 (~A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=5561

Postby aledda » Tue May 01, 2018 12:47 am

I've signed up for Korean. I've been putting it aside for a long time, and this challenge is a good opportunity to dedicate time and effort to it.
Until next week I have many (other) things to do, so I don't know how much time I will be able to spend studying until then. But I don't want it to be an excuse to not start it.
I still don't know what resources I will use, but I'm sure it will be a variety of books, applications and online reference.
0 x
Please, feel free to correct any mistakes.

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Tue May 01, 2018 6:54 am

I signed up for French. I'm visiting Marseille for four days in just under 3 months, so I really want to kick my French back into gear!
2 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Monkel
Languages: German(N), English(C), French(B), Esperanto(A), Spanish(A), Russian(A)

Postby Monkel » Tue May 01, 2018 5:51 pm

Singed up with Russian. Although May is full of real life deadlines, so let's see how far I will get.
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue May 01, 2018 6:16 pm

I’ve joined for German. I’ll disappear for a couple of weeks at the end of May though.
1 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Tue May 01, 2018 6:37 pm

I've signed up for Russian again - for the last time, I think. I'll have two French exams and two Russian exams towards the end of the period. I'm aiming for at least 40% Russian and at least 40% French.

I was a little late in registering because my parents have been visiting. They left this afternoon, so now I'm ready to get going.
0 x

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Postby Axon » Fri May 04, 2018 3:18 pm

I just registered with Cantonese under the name RantaSosite. I'm planning to visit Guangzhou for two or three days in June, so I'd better spend six weeks studying the language or else I'd be a bad tourist.

Right now I have a very shallow knowledge of Cantonese, even though it was one of the first foreign languages I was exposed to and I've been interested in learning it for about four years. I know a whole lot about Cantonese though.

I'll mostly be using Glossika and YouTube. Maybe Anki if things get really wild.

Edit: on second thought, I'll mostly be using this video. French has French in Action, Spanish has Destinos, Cantonese has ... this.
Last edited by Axon on Sat May 05, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sat May 05, 2018 5:32 am

Without the 6WC, I averaged ~3 hours of study a day, while over the last few days I averaged ~4 hours. Funny how an arbitary motivation makes me work 33% harder.

After a final push in grammar and speaking, I have finished the first / B1 stage of my Turkish studies. I had originally budgeted 360 hours for this stage, which was later reduced to 270, and then finally to 260. Grammar even tested B2 (online) the other day. It's good to know that Cat IV is not that scary afterall, as it has the longest list of languages to choose from <3 Got 100% in reading but 85% in listening so off to add a listening bar to the graph!

20180505-6wc.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Return to “Language Challenges”