The Super Challenge - discussion thread 2016/2017

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: The Super Challenge - discussion thread

Postby rdearman » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:18 pm

You might want to test your level before and after the SC. Here is a great website. https://oda.lingnet.org/
oda.lingnet.org.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:21 pm

Is there a thread for discussing books, films, etc, that people might use for the challenge? I know there was last time, and many of those suggestions became the basis for the wiki. I'm sure people have made a lot of new discoveries in the last couple of years, and it would be fun and useful to share.

I would start a thread, but I think it would be better if started by a moderator so it could be stickied (at least for the beginning of the challenge).
3 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:24 pm

Any thread can be stickied :)
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:40 pm

jeffers wrote:Is there a thread for discussing books, films, etc, that people might use for the challenge? I know there was last time, and many of those suggestions became the basis for the wiki. I'm sure people have made a lot of new discoveries in the last couple of years, and it would be fun and useful to share.

I would start a thread, but I think it would be better if started by a moderator so it could be stickied (at least for the beginning of the challenge).

Actually the wiki is better for this, because all last years recommendations are still there and can be added too and edited by anyone.

http://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Super_Challenge_Recommendations
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:09 pm

rdearman wrote:
jeffers wrote:Is there a thread for discussing books, films, etc, that people might use for the challenge? I know there was last time, and many of those suggestions became the basis for the wiki. I'm sure people have made a lot of new discoveries in the last couple of years, and it would be fun and useful to share.

Actually the wiki is better for this, because all last years recommendations are still there and can be added too and edited by anyone.

The wiki is good for an organised list, but I mean for discussion: What do you think about such and such? I prefer xyz, but it has some good language. Etc.
1 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:10 pm

jeffers wrote:
rdearman wrote:

The wiki is good for an organised list, but I mean for discussion: What do you think about such and such? I prefer xyz, but it has some good language. Etc.

Good idea... just start one. :)
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Aozora
Orange Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17971

Postby Aozora » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:41 pm

There seem to be a few more SC threads now. I have a couple questions. I'm thinking of doing a double Challenge for Japanese, at least for the reading portion--do I have to change my registration with the bot, or just read extra and have more books logged?

And the other question is, I listed my registration in this thread, but should I list it again in the new SC 2016-2017 Registration thread?
0 x
Super Challenge Books: 14 / 100
Super Challenge Films: 63 / 100

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun May 01, 2016 11:13 am

I'm signing up for a French full SC
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun May 01, 2016 3:34 pm

Aozora wrote:There seem to be a few more SC threads now. I have a couple questions. I'm thinking of doing a double Challenge for Japanese, at least for the reading portion--do I have to change my registration with the bot, or just read extra and have more books logged?

And the other question is, I listed my registration in this thread, but should I list it again in the new SC 2016-2017 Registration thread?

You don't have to re-register, and the bot just records what you've done, so if you do more than a full challenge it just records it.
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sun May 01, 2016 5:15 pm

So registering in one of the many SC threads and declaring a half, full, or double challenge is pointless unless it means something to you personally.
Tweet #register to the registration bot and read the equivalent of 2500, 5000, or 10000 pages @250 words per page and you've completed the reading part. 5 pages of comics/manga count as 1 page. Watch/listen to 75, 150, or 300 hours of audio/video and you've completed the multimedia portion. You can sign up for a half challenge (2500 pages and 75 hours of "films") but end up completing the double challenge. The 2015 Super Challenge will end in December 2017.

I'd like to invite fellow TAC participants to complete the Super Challenge by the end of this year. Also throw in the short story challenge for good measure as the pages count anyway and those guys need some company. It's always a good idea to read a variety of texts like short stories, poetry, non-fiction etc in addition to old-fashioned novels.
1 x

Return to “Language Challenges”