The Super Challenge - discussion thread 2016/2017

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: The Super Challenge - discussion thread

Postby Serpent » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:03 pm

FWIW I'm going to count less football in Romance languages because if I counted everything I'd get some 200 "films" easily, and I don't think it's fair to those who will be counting individual languages. I didn't actually need to give this "argument" in the process of begging* Cristina to accept the idea, but I'll stick to this decision anyway, and I'm incredibly grateful that she didn't mind.
*not really begging haha
Besides, this would be a mess if the totals ranking were to be brought back, which i'm hoping it will. the code still exists, though i'm not sure if surrealix has shared it.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:50 pm

I think the confusion here is the new "Families" thing. If your signing up for a family, lets take romance as the example, you shouldn't sign up for French, Italian, and Spanish and then book time against each and the family, but rather sign up for the family and then book all your time against that. However it looks like geoffw only signed up to the gmq family in order to have the bot track his work, but his challenge is actually the Swedish language. So if you want to use the bot just to track an auxiliary language (or family), and challenge for real in another I don't have a problem with that. Or just to have it track your work and not even participate in the SC that is cool too.

This LR thing has caused a lot of arguments in the past and my understanding of the ruling is you have to count either reading or listening. Regardless of what languages you are doing. So an English speaker reading a French book and listening to Italian audio of the book still has to pick reading or audio. So if you were doing the romance family you'd still only be able to log either the audio or the video.

The point of the SC is to READ or LISTEN and you have to pick one or the other, the language is not relevant.

As far as double booking challenges, I know some people logged their reading against both the 6WC & the SC last time, I don't think there was a rule against it.

Can I just say, none of these Challenges; Super Challenge, Output Challenge, 6WC, etc. are ruled over by a group of judges. I remember there was some uproar last time because someone logged more books than seemed possible to read without 28 hours days. But I'm of the view you're only cheating yourself if you decide to "slip the rules". I'm not the arbitrator of the rules, Christina is, but I don't really see an issue with using the bot just to track, as long as you've made that clear in the signup thread.

For me this is a personal challenge, and while I wish you all well, I'm not in competition with any of you. I believe the SC is like a marathon, where the majority of the competitors are only completing against themselves, the road, and the clock. So, let's just have some fun, read some books, and watch some films.
4 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian

Postby Serpent » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:21 pm

Kerrie wrote:
Montmorency wrote:I haven't seen Cristina's words on the subject, but that's not the way I interpreted rdearman's response to my question about L-R:
If I read in Norwegian, and listen in Norwegian, then fine, I can see that should only count as one thing, i.e. either a book, or audio, but not both. However, if I read in Norwegian and listen in German (neither of which is my native language, and both of which are registered for the SC for me), then I'd think there would be a good case for counting both. As it happens, that would be a rather academic question in this case, since I have no intention of doing it (I want to get in as much Norwegian listening as I can). But it might be something to run by Cristina when she is next around and has time to answer. (Until then, it can certainly wait, as far as I am concerned).

This was discussed to death in the past. You can only count it for one or the other, not both. It's in one of the SC threads at the old site.
Yeah. ahem :? :oops: If anyone feels like reading the drama :roll:
4 x
Corrections welcome

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1), Mandarin Chinese (B1), Spanish (A2), Polish (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17648

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:32 pm

sfuqua wrote:Outlander is translated into Spanish; you may be able to make it part of your challenge.

So far in my L2 reading, I do better when I read things in Spanish that I haven't gotten around to in English.

Oh my goshhhhhhhhh thank you for this news! I definitely need to get around to finding them then, that'll be fab.

And really? I'm not sure how it is for me; on the one hand I guess I don't get as bored because I'm reading something new, but I find myself frustrated with the 'fuzziness' of it if I haven't read it before and I often (less so in German, more so in my other languages) get lost. Still, good to know it works differently for other people! :D

Kerrie wrote:Other seven. There are eight now. :lol: You'll be able to find them in Spanish and German, if you want to use them for the SC. If you need help finding them, PM me. I actually read the first five of them in Spanish for the last SC. Of course, I had already read the first four a half dozen times before that, but . . . who's counting. :lol: :lol:

Ah, my friend said that but I didn't believe her! Haha, I mean, that's good news though, more to read. If only there was another secret Game of Thrones book... But yes, I'll take you up on that. And :lol: I get that, I feel like it's a series I'll read over and over again because a) there's so much going on and b) some of it's kind of ridiculous and I feel like I made it up. :lol:
1 x
pronouns: she/her

: 31 / 365 365-Day Language Challenge; de, zh, es

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:05 am

How are other people going to approach two or more languages? One language a day?
Read one, listen another?
Whatever feels good on any given day?
Do any particular approaches work better?
0 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:01 am

rdearman wrote:Am I the only one scrambling to read a load of native language books before the 1st of May? :lol:

haha. i've liked the Russian translation of our Spanish club book surprisingly much, and I've just read three chapters :D of course I'll still listen or LR in Spanish :)
0 x
Corrections welcome

Anya
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), French (C1), English, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, German, Turkish, Mandarin, Sanskrit, Catalan, Portuguese, Hungarian, Greek, Romanian, Occitan, Latin ...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=754&p=11667#p11667

Postby Anya » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:08 am

I am trying to do several languages every day, 30 minutes per language. But if the film is interesting I just can't stop.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:22 am

sfuqua wrote:How are other people going to approach two or more languages? One language a day?

Last time I was only doing two, but what i did was read two books at a time and alternate between them. For films I was mostly doing TV shows so I just binge watched them at night.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:33 am

sfuqua wrote:How are other people going to approach two or more languages? One language a day?

I was never disciplined enough to take a regular approach. I was doing 3 languages, but French definitely got the lion share of my attention most weeks. That's the way I study languages challenge or no challenge: one language is the focus, and others might get 10-20% of my attention. I just did "whatever feels good".
2 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:13 pm

I try to do something with most of my languages every day if I can, but that doesn't usually mean books or movies. I think I probably won't want to have too many books going at a time. I think I will probably have one in a hard language and one in an easier language going at all times though. I'm not sure yet about movies. Some languages are easier than others for that. I can easily watch loads of Spanish telenovelas without getting tired, but other languages can be harder to manage either because the language is still hard for me or because I can't find anything entertaining enough to get me hooked. So, for non-Spanish movies, I think I will try to watch a couple of things each week, in various languages. I'm not planning any proper rotation of languages for either books or movies, but I will try to mix things up a bit. In other words, I have no plan. And I haven't even tried to calculate how much I need to do, I'm just going to dive in and see what happens.
1 x

Return to “Language Challenges”