The Super Challenge - discussion thread 2016/2017

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Solfrid Cristin
White Belt
Languages: Norwegian (Native), English (C2), Spanish (C2), French (C1), Italian B1, German (B1), Russian (B1)

The Super Challenge - discussion thread 2016/2017

Postby Solfrid Cristin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:30 am

Hi, any questions or comments are welcome in this thread. I will try to figure out how to find the link to the Twitterbot and post it in the other thread, but if Serpent or any other guardian angels who draws faster than their own shadow beats me to it, they are most welcome. :D

Edit: I fixed it :-)
1 x

Mani
White Belt
Languages: speaks: German (N), English
understands: Luxembourgish (but can't really speak it)
studies: French (intermediate)

Re: The Super Challenge - discussion thread

Postby Mani » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:38 am

This should link to the twitter page and this to the bot. :)

EDIT: I found the other thread where you linked the bot ...
1 x
: 13 / 100 SC films
: 9 / 100 SC books
: 3 / 52 Grammaire
: 20 / 100 Assimil PT (1993)
: 5 / 36 SSIW 1 (old)

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:34 am

Cristina suggested the following subchallenge for September on old HTLAL:

1. Post books and films you have not yet registered, if you have any backlog

2. Write about a film you have seen or a book you have read. You can chose whether to do so in English or in
your target language, and you decide how short or long you want to make it.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian

Postby Serpent » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:34 pm

From another thread, about my Croatian films:

Budva na pjenu od mora is a Montenegrin series that most members learning BCMS have heard about :lol: All three seasons are legally available on this youtube account. It starts out as somewhat cheesy love story but gets more complex soon :) (Radioclare has already watched all seasons, while JohannaNYC has also joined the club :D)

More recently, I tried out the Montevideo project to test my comprehension of something new and got sidetracked completely. It tells the story of the Yugoslavian (really Serbian) national team preparing and travelling for the first World Cup in Uruguay. There are two films, one taking place in Belgrade and one in Montevideo, and there are longer versions of each film as a series, as well as a third series that serves as a bridge and follows the team's long journey, in a time when you couldn't just hop on the plane. I'm currently watching this series, and I don't think I'll go back to Budva until I'm done. I'm enjoying the pre-WW2 atmosphere and the hot guys :D (hotter than in Budva, for my taste) I'm less keen on the unavoidable femmes fatales, but at least they're pretty and they don't speak about football, taking me out of my comfort zone.
The first film is legally available on Youtube, with optional English subs.
3 x
Corrections welcome

Dani
White Belt
Languages: Studies: Chinese (B1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1457

Postby Dani » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:11 pm

Are there plans for a Super Challenge starting in 2015? And, if so, will it start in January or later in the year as well?
If there's one starting next year I might even participate, it seems that something like that will be needed to advance from this point on.
0 x
Corrections are always welcome!

Writing
● Speaking
: 0 / 75000
: 9 / 3000 min
● Reading
● Watching
: 25 / 10000 pages
: 0 / 0 min

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:59 pm

Dani wrote:Are there plans for a Super Challenge starting in 2015? And, if so, will it start in January or later in the year as well?
If there's one starting next year I might even participate, it seems that something like that will be needed to advance from this point on.

The Super Challenge is normally run by Solfrid Cristin, and Super Challenges are normally run from May through Dec of the following year. The Super Challenge 2014-15 ends in December and with any luck Solfrid will issue another challenge in May 2016.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Dani
White Belt
Languages: Studies: Chinese (B1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1457

Postby Dani » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:10 am

rdearman wrote:The Super Challenge is normally run by Solfrid Cristin, and Super Challenges are normally run from May through Dec of the following year. The Super Challenge 2014-15 ends in December and with any luck Solfrid will issue another challenge in May 2016.

Great! Thank you!
0 x
Corrections are always welcome!

Writing
● Speaking
: 0 / 75000
: 9 / 3000 min
● Reading
● Watching
: 25 / 10000 pages
: 0 / 0 min

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:06 am

3 x
Corrections welcome

surrealix

Postby surrealix » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:30 pm

Hi All!

So we're coming up to the end of the 2014-2015 challenge, having read a combined 379,986 pages and watched 1,440,764 minutes of foreign language material since we started!

I've been pretty quiet on the forums, ironically because I moved to a new country and have been busy juggling language learning with work. This means however that I haven't been able to put the time into maintaining the Twitter Bot that it really deserves. Unfortunately this isn't going to change soon, and with the next round of the super challenge hopefully looming next year, I'm now looking at the future of the bot.

So this is an appeal to the language learning programmers out there:

Is there anyone who would like to take over running the twitter bot?

On the technical side it's PHP/SQL, and should run on pretty much any server. I'm happy to do a complete handover, or to turn it into an open source project somewhere. If there's any interest we can start talking about details. (For everyone else, don't fret! The bot isn't going to disappear overnight. Nothing's going to change in the remaining 3 weeks left for the challenge. I'm just starting this conversation now because it might take a while to organise everything.)
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:46 pm

surrealix wrote:Hi All!

So we're coming up to the end of the 2014-2015 challenge, having read a combined 379,986 pages and watched 1,440,764 minutes of foreign language material since we started!

I've been pretty quiet on the forums, ironically because I moved to a new country and have been busy juggling language learning with work. This means however that I haven't been able to put the time into maintaining the Twitter Bot that it really deserves. Unfortunately this isn't going to change soon, and with the next round of the super challenge hopefully looming next year, I'm now looking at the future of the bot.

So this is an appeal to the language learning programmers out there:

Is there anyone who would like to take over running the twitter bot?

On the technical side it's PHP/SQL, and should run on pretty much any server. I'm happy to do a complete handover, or to turn it into an open source project somewhere. If there's any interest we can start talking about details. (For everyone else, don't fret! The bot isn't going to disappear overnight. Nothing's going to change in the remaining 3 weeks left for the challenge. I'm just starting this conversation now because it might take a while to organise everything.)

Hey! Welcome back. I'm sure we could arrange to host the bot here that wouldn't be a problem and if you're willing to opensource your code we have some other challanges that might want a cool rocking bot like yours.
5 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Language Challenges”