The Super Challenge - discussion thread 2016/2017

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: The Super Challenge - discussion thread

Postby Cavesa » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:51 pm

When luring outsiders to join, what link should I give them as the main reference point?

Perhaps it's time for an SC 2016/17 thread/page with up to date info. If there is any, please tell me as I obviously missed it.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:34 pm

Cavesa wrote:When luring outsiders to join, what link should I give them as the main reference point?

Perhaps it's time for an SC 2016/17 thread/page with up to date info. If there is any, please tell me as I obviously missed it.

Cristina hasn't launched the official 2016/17 registration thread, so at the moment this is probably the best place to send them to.
1 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Solfrid Cristin
White Belt
Languages: Norwegian (Native), English (C2), Spanish (C2), French (C1), Italian B1, German (B1), Russian (B1)

Postby Solfrid Cristin » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:10 pm

Hm. I am suspecting that it will soon be time do that. :mrgreen: How long ahead would you guys like - one week, two weeks? :D
0 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:58 pm

How much repetition is allowed for the super challenge? I know that we can reread the same book over and over, and count it, but what about reading the same chapter.
I've been thinking about going a little more intensive for part of the time, maybe reading hard stuff a couple of times before I move forward.
0 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:22 pm

I have a question about this years Super Challenge. I'm planning (along with a couple of others) to do Esperanto as part of the challenge. We'll probably manage to gather enough books to hit the target amount, but we are really struggling to get films (there are only 3 in the world as near as I'm able to tell) and very few podcasts.

My fellow Esperantists have recommended a lot of online lectures which are done in Esperanto, but last years rules precluded "live lectures" so I'm wondering if we could have an exception to live lectures (or any lectures) in Esperanto due to the scarcity of resources? Please? Pretty Please with sugar on top?
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:42 pm

ahem, the resources problem is not unique to Esperanto... But online lectures were accepted if I understand correctly, it's live ones that were deemed too much of a stretch. live meaning offline - if you're watching a lecture online, I don't think it matters whether it's aired live or you watch a recording later.
And yeah the differences can be arbitrary between live lectures vs educational videos/MOOCs or tourist bus/museum audio vs audiobooks. But I understand Cristina's viewpoint by now :P

BTW, rdearman, a common "Romance" group on the bot could be motivating for you with French/Italian/Esperanto ;) (though I know there's also the risk of focusing on the bigger languages too much... that's up to you) If Cristina allows that I'm ready not to count most of the football I watch in the Romance languages (I'd definitely count Catalan though, I still get so little input in it).
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:02 pm

Serpent wrote:ahem, the resources problem is not unique to Esperanto... But online lectures were accepted if I understand correctly, it's live ones that were deemed too much of a stretch. live meaning offline - if you're watching a lecture online, I don't think it matters whether it's aired live or you watch a recording later.
And yeah the differences can be arbitrary between live lectures vs educational videos/MOOCs or tourist bus/museum audio vs audiobooks. But I understand Cristina's viewpoint by now :P

BTW, rdearman, a common "Romance" group on the bot could be motivating for you with French/Italian/Esperanto ;) (though I know there's also the risk of focusing on the bigger languages too much... that's up to you) If Cristina allows that I'm ready not to count most of the football I watch in the Romance languages (I'd definitely count Catalan though, I still get so little input in it).

I've had a look at the code, and there is a problem. Because the database was created with language code as a 2 character field there isn't really way to label something as a family... for example you couldn't use 'FamRom' for Romance Family, unless perhaps we use numbers not letters. I'll have to test that theory on my test system. We might be able to use F1, or 11 instead. (Assuming Cristina approves it of course)
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:20 am

I tried to register for #Tagalog and the bot registered me for Tamil.
Oops.
0 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

Mani
White Belt
Languages: speaks: German (N), English
understands: Luxembourgish (but can't really speak it)
studies: French (intermediate)

Postby Mani » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:11 pm

sfuqua wrote:I tried to register for #Tagalog and the bot registered me for Tamil.
Oops.

Have you used the right ISO code? For Tagalog it's "tl" - Tamil on the other hand would be "ta".
Or maybe Tagalog isn't listed as a SC language yet? (I had that problem last time with Welsh.) So maybe rdearman could have a look at it?
0 x
: 13 / 100 SC films
: 9 / 100 SC books
: 3 / 52 Grammaire
: 20 / 100 Assimil PT (1993)
: 5 / 36 SSIW 1 (old)

Komma
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N); learning actively: Japanese (beginner); learning passively: English (probably C1/2), French (false beginner); on halt: Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... =15&t=1067

Postby Komma » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:31 pm

How lucky that I accidentally found that the discussion for the next round is in this thread and that registrations are on again. I might have missed the start and May 1st is a holiday with so much time to read and/or watch :mrgreen:

Since I take on my Spanish again, but still want to continue French, I signed up for both. And yes, I failed greatly last time, but that won't prevent me from trying again.
0 x
: 38 / 113 Assimil French - passive
: 5 / 40 Language Transfer
: 20 / 81 Le petit Prince
: 0 / 52 Grammaire progressive - intermédiaire
: 0 / 28 Vocabulaire progressf - débutant

Return to “Language Challenges”