The Super Challenge - rules

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: The Super Challenge - rules

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:03 pm

rdearman wrote:Bit of technical clarification. If you want the bot to track this, then it has to have digits. e.g. Therefore I was going to go with "Romance = 01", etc. Annoying but I don't want to have to re-write the bot one week before the start of the challenge, and it means that families sort to the bottom.

Brun Ugle wrote:It could be cool if you could tweet your progress by language, but it was also collected by family. I mean so that your score would say, for example, that you'd read 20 books in the Germanic family and then if you clicked on that it would show that you'd read 7 books in Norwegian, 5 in Swedish, 5 in Danish and 3 in German. But I think that would be a lot more work to set up than Serpant's idea of setting up families as separate languages.

Cool, but ain't going to happen this year! :)

Unless of course you know a programmer type who'd like to extend the source code. (Actually that probably isn't that difficult even for a hacker like me, but I don't have the time. I'm sort of busy, SC, OC, 10kSRS, admin forum, and working for a living seem to take up a lot of my time) :lol:

Don't worry. I wasn't expecting that to happen this late. I figured it would probably be a bit too late. I will probably stick to individual languages myself since that's how I want to track things.
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:51 pm

Brun Ugle wrote: I plan to try reading some books in English too, classics and other important works mostly, but I don't know that English really fits well in the Germanic family even if it is technically a member.
English is fine, the thing is that you can't count your native language :P There's goodreads for that. Though if you list each book as 1 page long that's fine :D Some have done that before.

@rdearman oh okay, I thought the problem was that we need codes that aren't taken by individual languages :D (for example ro is Romanian) sort to the bottom where btw?'

and yeah obviously I would've wanted to have languages as sub-categories under families, I just didn't even bother suggesting :mrgreen:
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:43 pm

Serpent wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote: I plan to try reading some books in English too, classics and other important works mostly, but I don't know that English really fits well in the Germanic family even if it is technically a member.
English is fine, the thing is that you can't count your native language :P There's goodreads for that. Though if you list each book as 1 page long that's fine :D Some have done that before.

@rdearman oh okay, I thought the problem was that we need codes that aren't taken by individual languages :D (for example ro is Romanian) sort to the bottom where btw?'

and yeah obviously I would've wanted to have languages as sub-categories under families, I just didn't even bother suggesting :mrgreen:

You can't do your native language?! You used to be able to, in the original challenge. I didn't do it then, but I was hoping to now. Why not? My native language is suffering from lack of use. And it is certainly no harder for me to read in Norwegian, which I am allowed to do, than in English.
0 x

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:58 pm

I'm glad to see language families this round! It helps me a lot - I'd much rather finish one proper challenge than multiple partials

On the technical side, do I tell Twitter that I want to study #romance? Or should we hold off until R. works on the code?

I'm ok with tracking the individual languages on my own. If a programmer comes along that would be great, but my guess (and I could be totally wrong) is that it's only a handful of us who would choose this.
1 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian

Postby Serpent » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:44 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:You can't do your native language?! You used to be able to, in the original challenge. I didn't do it then, but I was hoping to now. Why not? My native language is suffering from lack of use. And it is certainly no harder for me to read in Norwegian, which I am allowed to do, than in English.
Well, ask Cristina...
In the original challenge, there was the advanced option (200 films/200 books) and it was actually added when someone asked if they could read in their secondary native language (Bulgarian I think). But that was more of an exception :roll:

@kanewai I don't think the code has been changed yet ;) I'm sure rdearman will announce it.

btw I've noticed that Moldavian has been added. It's no longer pushed even in Moldova, a few years ago they changed the constitution to make Romanian their official language. there are certainly different dialects etc but honestly Brazilian is more of a separate language than Moldovan :mrgreen:
2 x
Corrections welcome

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:51 pm

Serpent wrote:

Yes, that is the problem. But because none of the codes are digits, that is the easy option.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:52 pm

kanewai wrote:I'm glad to see language families this round! It helps me a lot - I'd much rather finish one proper challenge than multiple partials

On the technical side, do I tell Twitter that I want to study #romance? Or should we hold off until R. works on the code?

I'm ok with tracking the individual languages on my own. If a programmer comes along that would be great, but my guess (and I could be totally wrong) is that it's only a handful of us who would choose this.

Most likely you'll have to tweet the number, so for example #01
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:58 am

I don't think any of rc, gc, sc (ha) or fu are taken, though?
edit: oh and normally it's been possible to tweet #de, #deutsch and #german. i hope we can also have #slavic, #germanic etc then?
0 x
Corrections welcome

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:42 am

Serpent wrote:I don't think any of rc, gc, sc (ha) or fu are taken, though?

No, but then they would sort into the official languages, and I'd prefer they were separate.

Serpent wrote:edit: oh and normally it's been possible to tweet #de, #deutsch and #german. i hope we can also have #slavic, #germanic etc then?

I don't know, I'm going to guess no. I can't check it on my test system because there isn't a twitter account associated with it. I would prefer that we spend the few remaining days coming up with a list of family group you need me to support and what languages they include. I'll have to build in some kind of information screen about what language families are used for and what languages they include.

If we can't get this nailed down before the 1st of May, then you'll have to wait until I get back from the Polygot conference, and I'm not going to want to shift through the database collating all the things which get mis-recorded.

SO!

Romance includes:
  • French
  • Spanish
  • Italian
  • ???

Germanic includes:
  • English?
  • German
  • Danish?
  • Swedish?

Need a list.
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:12 pm

rdearman wrote:Need a list.

There is an official ISO list of codes for language families! These include:

• roa: Romance.
  • gem: Germanic.
  • ine: Indo-European.
  • afa: Afro-Asiatic.
  • sem: Semitic.
These codes are an international standard (ISO 639-5), and they're not supposed to conflict with any of the standard 2- or 3-letter codes for individual languages. If we need letter codes for language families, I recommend using the ISO codes, which will save us the trouble of inventing our own.
2 x

Return to “Language Challenges”