The Super Challenge - rules

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: The Super Challenge - rules

Postby Serpent » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:43 pm

It seems like rdearman has switched them for numbers, but maybe it's better to assign the three-letter codes to the individual languages that overlap with families? like fin, ron/rum, etc?
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:47 pm

kanewai wrote:
rdearman wrote:
kanewai wrote:Romance for me too.

Yeah, yeah, we all want romance... but what languages do you want? :lol:

I obviously don't know what I'm doing, in romance or Romance.

I tried to register #roa, but got Romanian. And I can't find where the directions are that tell us how to un-register.

Just PM me your username (if different from here) and what you need deleted and I can do it in the backend. I think that is the problem with using the ISO codes for families instead of numbers. It matched the first two characters and it doesn't expect 3 characters. So... I'm going to have to recode the registration function to deal with 3 character codes. In fact this will be the same problem if you try to tweet book pages, etc against those codes.

SO!!! Forget the months spent by various government agencies coming up with ISO standard codes. I've changed family codes to numbers where there is a conflict. I don't have time to do a proper re-write of the source code before this all kicks off in 5 days time. So look at the bottom of the web page and for the 4 families with conflicts they've been converted to numbers.

When and if I get it working properly, then I'll update the database, the registrations, and all the associated data. (I now see why surealix didn't include families)

Anyway, I fixed your entry, you were the only one signed up for Romanian so I figured it out.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:52 pm

Serpent wrote:It seems like rdearman has switched them for numbers, but maybe it's better to assign the three-letter codes to the individual languages that overlap with families? like fin, ron/rum, etc?

That is a good suggestion, but means the languages aren't using the correct codes. So this temporary hack should work, and I can always go into the database later and do an update, after I've fixed the source code to deal with 3 character and 2 character codes. In theory it is just intersting some if statements in to check the length of the code.

I'll make a backup of the DB and mess around with it. But I'm going to stop messing about with it now, just in case I seriously break it. Now isn't the time to be mucking about. :)
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:24 am

rdearman wrote:Anyway, I fixed your entry, you were the only one signed up for Romanian so I figured it out.

I just went in to #giveup Romanian, and saw that it was already replaced by famille romance. Thanks! I'm going to try some zero-page posts to see how logging Romance goes.

take one
@langchallenge #reading 0 pages #romance
...@kanewai1 You don't seem to be studying Romanian. Register first using the #register tag!

take two
@langchallenge #reading 0 pages #family-romance
...@kanewai1 You don't seem to be studying Persian. Register first using the #register tag!

take three
@langchallenge #reading 0 pages #01
...@kanewai1 read 50 pages of a book in Family-Romance.
......@langchallenge #undo #reading 0 pages #01
.........@kanewai1 made a mistake and removed a tweet.

Score! I missed the codes at the bottom.

The site is blocked at work, but I can access it using google translate (hence, I'm studying famille-romance and not Family-Romance). The other codes, with their French-language family names:

02 Famille-finno-ougrienne
joyau famille-germanique
04 Famille grecque
GMQ Famille-Nord-germanique
01 Famille-Romance
sem famille sémitique
asseoir la famille sino-tibétaine
sla famille slave
03 Famille-turcique

I think I need to change the name of my log to #01 famille-romance. It has a nice ring.
1 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:09 am

minor note: Finno-Ugric is a more common term than Finno-Ugrian.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “Language Challenges”