6WC 6 Week Challenge - Feb 2018

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - Feb 2018

Postby smallwhite » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:40 am

CarlyD wrote:Has there been any actual attention paid to the request that the challenge be returned to the beginner/low intermediate learner and involve actual study rather than just leaving the tv on all day and logging it as "study time"?

Otherwise, maybe we should just remove the part about "competing with other beginners" because we've totally lost that.

Tell me what you want me to write in the opening post for the next challenge (write the actual sentences for me). People can comment now if they want to. Okay?
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:47 am

CarlyD wrote:Has there been any actual attention paid to the request that the challenge be returned to the beginner/low intermediate learner and involve actual study rather than just leaving the tv on all day and logging it as "study time"?

Otherwise, maybe we should just remove the part about "competing with other beginners" because we've totally lost that.

I'm sorry you found it "no fun" and decided to #unregister.
1 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:01 am

smallwhite wrote:I will be unable to upload my minutes for a few days. Will log them afterwards. Won't be a lot.

I'm back. Logged 442 minutes in one go for the last 8 days.
0 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:05 pm

smallwhite wrote:

I'm sorry you found it "no fun" and decided to #unregister.

smallwhite wrote:We do have cheaters but what can you do.

While no one apparently noticed, I unregistered from both the SC and here as well. I reregistered here to try to focus more on a single language. I've "competed" with people who were reporting progress in Cat V languages in 10-hour increments. The challenge was also advertised on Reddit and elsewhere without any specific instructions.

TV is allowed as long as one is paying attention. It's not hard to find speakers of Romance languages who can't score higher than A2-B1 on Dialang in another Romance language they had previously studied.

If you want to make the challenge about intensive study at A1-B1 level label it as such, disallow any tweets that report more than 90 minutes per study session and require that each intensive activity be labeled with a second hashtag. The second column could be reserved for extensive activities. This will require some involvement from the bot's owner.
Last edited by reineke on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:13 pm

oops I wrote this earlier today and forgot to post.

As I said in another thread, have you contacted Sprachprofi (@GermanPolyglot) about that?

Or have you confronted the individuals?

Also, there's no rule about the challenge having to involve what you call "actual study". Have you ever spent hours watching or listening in a B1- language? it's hard :roll:
3 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:39 am

reineke wrote:It's not hard to find speakers of Romance languages who can't score higher than A2-B1 on Dialang in another Romance language they had previously studied.

Never heard of this. Heading there now! Never took a test before other than kwiziq. This one seems more in depth.
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:53 am

reineke wrote:TV is allowed as long as one is paying attention. It's not hard to find speakers of Romance languages who can't score higher than A2-B1 on Dialang in another Romance language they had previously studied.

What is your Dialang score in Spanish listening? (How many hours of Spanish have you had altogether, btw?)

TV is indeed allowed, 100% when attention is 100%. How do you count and discount your TV time wrt attention and simultaneous activities?

Serpent wrote:Also, there's no rule about the challenge having to involve what you call "actual study". Have you ever spent hours watching or listening in a B1- language? it's hard :roll:

Indeed activities don't have to be traditional study activities. But whether they are hard or not is irrelevant as well.

I do 2 types of listening activities:
1. listening while reading transcript or translation - I count all that time.
2. listening while facebooking etc, while walking, while taking public transport - I count 30% of the time or less. I'm actually paying full attention during some of that time, but since I'm doing 2 activities (walking and listening), I feel that each should only count 50% to start with.

My other activities are traditional study activities - textbooks, flashcards, reading, etc.
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:13 pm

smallwhite wrote:
Serpent wrote:Also, there's no rule about the challenge having to involve what you call "actual study". Have you ever spent hours watching or listening in a B1- language? it's hard :roll:

Indeed activities don't have to be traditional study activities. But whether they are hard or not is irrelevant as well.
I didn't mean it's a hard activity, I meant it's hard to keep going. It's exhausting.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:47 pm

Serpent wrote:I didn't mean it's a hard activity, I meant it's hard to keep going. It's exhausting.

No idea what difference that makes. Whether an activity is exhausting is also irrelevant.
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:34 am

smallwhite wrote:
Challenge XXVIII - Feb 2018

Starts: Thursday, 1st Feb 2018 00h00m01s your time
Ends: Wednesday, 14th Mar 2018 23h59m59s your time

:!:
1 x

Return to “Language Challenges”