Goldlist Challenge

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Goldlist Challenge

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:27 pm

There is a new Goldlist Challenge starting on the 15th of January if anyone is interested. You sign up via the Goldlist Method User Group Facebook page.

I was a skeptic to Goldlisting, but decided to give it a try and joined the last challenge. I found that the method actually does work. I'm not sure it's any faster or more effective than other methods, but if you find you learn best by writing things down, it might be for you. There is an explanation of the method here. The explanation is a bit long-winded, but the method itself is simple and effective.
4 x

shandra
Orange Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (B1), Spanish (SIELE: Reading B2, Listening C1), French (A2), Chinese (HSK1), Japanese (JLPT N5) Frozen: Danish, Forgotten: Romanian
Language Log: http://bit.ly/2C2Du5z

Re: Goldlist Challenge

Postby shandra » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:46 pm

This challenge intrigues me :geek:
I think I could be in.
I have a week to revise how the method works 8-)

Thanks for sharing :)
0 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:59 am

I'm in--and that post was very long-winded. I found it easier to just go to Youtube and search for Goldlist. There's a nice variety of videos explaining it there.
1 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1131 / 15000

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:52 am

Yeah, it was a little confusing. Basically you just write a list, wait two weeks, cross off 30% of the words and rewrite the rest. Then do the same thing on the rewritten list, distilling every two weeks. He seems to have bigger notebooks that I do and writes 25 words in the headlist and distills that to 17, then 12, then 9. I have trouble finding notebooks that will fit that many lines so I do 20-14-10-7.
2 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt

Postby CarlyD » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:04 pm

Does it matter that I'm using words I'm currently studying? I listed a bunch of words from the chapter I'm on now, but I need to know these words before I move on to the next chapter, so I'm working on them every day.

I do like that after I finish this chapter I'll be reviewing the words again every two weeks for what--several months, depending on how many times you distill them.

I think this could work for me.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:04 am

The only rule is that you can’t look at the list in your notebook for two weeks. It doesn’t matter that you see the words in other contexts. I tend to take my lists from TV shows, books and GLOSS lessons. Since I usually watch new episodes of the TV show and continue to read the book, I end up seeing some of the words again. I don’t usually bother with vocabulary study in the early stages of language learning because I find the words in my textbooks usually stick pretty easily anyway, but it might depend on the transparency of the language and how much vocabulary your textbook gives you.
2 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:20 am

Brun Ugle wrote:Yeah, it was a little confusing. Basically you just write a list, wait two weeks, cross off 30% of the words and rewrite the rest. Then do the same thing on the rewritten list, distilling every two weeks. He seems to have bigger notebooks that I do and writes 25 words in the headlist and distills that to 17, then 12, then 9. I have trouble finding notebooks that will fit that many lines so I do 20-14-10-7.

The thing that I've never got is how you cross off the 30%. Is it meant to be the ones you know? I'm not sure I would remember that many.
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:48 am

MamaPata wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:Yeah, it was a little confusing. Basically you just write a list, wait two weeks, cross off 30% of the words and rewrite the rest. Then do the same thing on the rewritten list, distilling every two weeks. He seems to have bigger notebooks that I do and writes 25 words in the headlist and distills that to 17, then 12, then 9. I have trouble finding notebooks that will fit that many lines so I do 20-14-10-7.

The thing that I've never got is how you cross off the 30%. Is it meant to be the ones you know? I'm not sure I would remember that many.

That’s what I was afraid of when I started, but usually I do know enough to cross off. I find that words that I get from my reading and TV are much easier than lists of random words plucked from the dictionary since I’ve met them at least once in context. Your state of mind is also important. At one point, I was trying to do a lot of lists to get a high score in the challenge and I kept doing lists even when I was tired and those lists are much harder to remember.
2 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt

Postby CarlyD » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:25 pm

I would think if you had a particularly troublesome word, you could "start it over again" on a new list.

I made a little chart today to remind me which pages to distill when. Hope it works.
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:24 pm

CarlyD wrote:I would think if you had a particularly troublesome word, you could "start it over again" on a new list.

I made a little chart today to remind me which pages to distill when. Hope it works.

The troublesome word would remain on the list through each distillation until you finally learned it. Of course, sometimes a word might be so forgettable that you don't even remember that it was on your list and you add it again later. That has happened to me a couple of times.

Sometimes it's surprising to see which words you remember. My brain has a great love of useless information and trivia, so if there is a word on my list that I'll surely never need, I'll remember it right away. :roll:
1 x

Return to “Language Challenges”