Output Challenge 2018 Registration and Discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Re: Output Challenge 2018 Registration and Discussion

Postby Xmmm » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:59 am

Is the output challenge intentionally skewed towards writing? Now that I've started doing it, I realize that 50 hours of spoken output is going to take 50 hours no matter what, whereas 50000 words can take an enormous amount of time depending on where you start from. For them to be equivalent, you'd have to be able to write at 1000 words an hour in the TL, which is a pretty good clip in your native language if you're trying to write something of decent quality.

This means the written challenge is looking a bit more daunting than I thought when signing up.

Or does one get a lot faster very early on? :)
2 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:25 am

Xmmm wrote:Is the output challenge intentionally skewed towards writing? Now that I've started doing it, I realize that 50 hours of spoken output is going to take 50 hours no matter what, whereas 50000 words can take an enormous amount of time depending on where you start from. For them to be equivalent, you'd have to be able to write at 1000 words an hour in the TL, which is a pretty good clip in your native language if you're trying to write something of decent quality.

This means the written challenge is looking a bit more daunting than I thought when signing up.

Or does one get a lot faster very early on? :)

The first time I tried it, I actually found the writing part easier than the speaking, but now it’s the opposite. I think it’s because I’ve gotten more used to recording myself and also I have a slightly more interesting life, so I have more to talk about. Also, last time I wrote for myself, but this time, most of my writing is for my log and then it feels more difficult because I want to get it right. No one listens to my recordings, so those don’t have the same pressure. Still, I don’t think I could do much more in terms of recording. It’s rather difficult to talk that much and tiring on the voice. But it might get better. It does take me longer to do my writing for the week than to do the speaking, but it still doesn’t seem like much more effort. The recordings I have to just sit down and do, but the writing, I can do a little, take a break, come back and make changes, do a little more. It’s a bit more relaxed.
2 x

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Postby Christi » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:05 am

Well, I wrote something but it looks very unnatural... maybe I should collect my writings and then hire an Italki teacher for one hour to have her/him correct any mistakes. Do you guys think this would work? I haven't got any experience using Italki so I don't know if they would actually go over short pieces of writing and how much time this would take.
0 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:42 am

Christi wrote:Well, I wrote something but it looks very unnatural... maybe I should collect my writings and then hire an Italki teacher for one hour to have her/him correct any mistakes. Do you guys think this would work? I haven't got any experience using Italki so I don't know if they would actually go over short pieces of writing and how much time this would take.

Some teachers do it. You can write to a few and ask. You can also just post your writing on Italki and people will correct it for you.
2 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:57 am

Like Brun Ugle says, if they're short texts, you can easily get good corrections just by sticking them on italki. And then if there's still stuff that's unclear, you can always book a lesson and bring it up with the teacher.

I have had teachers correct longer texts but not often so I don't have much help there. I think Tarvos has written about what she does in her log though? That might be useful?
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:53 am

Christi wrote:Well, I wrote something but it looks very unnatural... maybe I should collect my writings and then hire an Italki teacher for one hour to have her/him correct any mistakes. Do you guys think this would work? I haven't got any experience using Italki so I don't know if they would actually go over short pieces of writing and how much time this would take.

One of the reasons the sign up has "Willing to Correct" is for this type of thing. Have you looked to see if anyone here is willing to correct the language you're using?
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Postby Christi » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:13 pm

rdearman wrote:

One of the reasons the sign up has "Willing to Correct" is for this type of thing. Have you looked to see if anyone here is willing to correct the language you're using?

I'm trying to learn Korean and no one who knows Korean is participating in this challenge.

But I posted my writing on Italki and someone gave a few tips! So I will try to upload my writings there and hoping people will take a lot at it.
0 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Postby Bex » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:00 am

I am assuming transcribing doesn't count since it's not your own output?

Just wondering and then became more confused the more I thought about it...technically it will help improve my grammar, vocabulary and writing but wan't sure if it would count..is the challenge more aimed towards encouraging output or improving output?

:?
1 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:05 am

Bex wrote:I am assuming transcribing doesn't count since it's not your own output?

Just wondering and then became more confused the more I thought about it...technically it will help improve my grammar, vocabulary and writing but wan't sure if it would count..is the challenge more aimed towards encouraging output or improving output?

It is aimed at both. And actually transcription does count.

The idea of the Output Challenge is output both writing and/or speech in your target language. The hope is by increasing the amount of output you produce, you'll be able to identify gaps in your knowledge of grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation or other problematic areas of output.

In the normal course of the challenge if you feel that what you are doing is in the spirit of the challenge, e.g. producing copious amounts of output in your target language, and it is helping you improve, then it is probably OK.
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Postby Bex » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:18 am

rdearman wrote:
Bex wrote:I am assuming transcribing doesn't count since it's not your own output?

It is aimed at both. And actually transcription does count.

The idea of the Output Challenge is output both writing and/or speech in your target language. The hope is by increasing the amount of output you produce, you'll be able to identify gaps in your knowledge of grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation or other problematic areas of output.

In the normal course of the challenge if you feel that what you are doing is in the spirit of the challenge, e.g. producing copious amounts of output in your target language, and it is helping you improve, then it is probably OK.

Excellent...thanks rdearman for the clarification.
0 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

Return to “Language Challenges”