The 30-Day Speaking Challenge

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Jojo
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (L1), English (L2), Italian (Adv), Croatian (Int), French (Int), Egyptian Arabic (Adv Beg), Greek (New Beg), Russian (New Beg)

The 30-Day Speaking Challenge

Postby Jojo » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:41 pm

Has anyone done the 30-Day Speaking Challenge
http://hugginsinternational.com/30dayspeakingchallenge/ ? If so, what was your experience with it?

It starts tomorrow, November 1st. I registered with Croatian.
1 x
Formerly JohannaNYC

Ольга
Green Belt
Languages: English, French, German, Greek, Portuguese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6206

Re: The 30-Day Speaking Challenge

Postby Ольга » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:16 pm

Registered with English. ;)
1 x
Output Challenge 2018
Hours of Recorded Speech: 0 / 50
Words: 4732 / 50000

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:47 pm

Hmm, this looks really good, but I am hesitant to fill in that form, for some reason. I think I'll give it a miss this time, but I'll be interested to see how it goes for other people.
2 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:47 am

I signed up for Spanish. :shock:
0 x

Glarus Girl
Languages: English (N) German (B1+) French (A1)

Postby Glarus Girl » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:16 pm

I did it in July. I didn't get a lot of feedback on mine and what I did get wasn't overly useful. I stuck it out for 27 days because I didn't want to fail the challenge (for myself) but in the end life is too short to do something you're not enjoying or getting anything useful from so I stopped doing it. I do have a tutor though so it was more something else to do rather than actually needing to do it.

Hopefully you will get more from it. Language challenges from language tutors always seem more like a marketing challenge to me... that's the skeptic in me! ;)
2 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:20 pm

Glarus Girl wrote:I did it in July. I didn't get a lot of feedback on mine and what I did get wasn't overly useful. I stuck it out for 27 days because I didn't want to fail the challenge (for myself) but in the end life is too short to do something you're not enjoying or getting anything useful from so I stopped doing it.
Isn't the daily speaking practice habit the benefit? The challenge aspect just gets you started.
4 x

Ольга
Green Belt
Languages: English, French, German, Greek, Portuguese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6206

Postby Ольга » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:17 pm

DaveBee wrote:
Glarus Girl wrote:I did it in July. I didn't get a lot of feedback on mine and what I did get wasn't overly useful. I stuck it out for 27 days because I didn't want to fail the challenge (for myself) but in the end life is too short to do something you're not enjoying or getting anything useful from so I stopped doing it.
Isn't the daily speaking practice habit the benefit? The challenge aspect just gets you started.

Yes, it is what has inspired me a lot! To speak every day in a foreign language, think in this language, live with this language, make a habit of that! Of course, the founder of the challenge has his inner motives, but just an opportunity of practicing a lot is superb, isn't it? :P
1 x
Output Challenge 2018
Hours of Recorded Speech: 0 / 50
Words: 4732 / 50000

Glarus Girl
Languages: English (N) German (B1+) French (A1)

Postby Glarus Girl » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:06 pm

True! I just felt I didn't need to be a part of it to do it daily. I failed the online challenge by stopping near the end but I did continue on my own with the help of my tutor so you're probably right!! :)
2 x

Jojo
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (L1), English (L2), Italian (Adv), Croatian (Int), French (Int), Egyptian Arabic (Adv Beg), Greek (New Beg), Russian (New Beg)

Postby Jojo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:43 am

I failed miserably, November was a crazy month. But I look forward to doing it again some other time and most likely with a different language. This time I did it with Croatian. Although having to think about topics I don't normally think about and then trying to express my thoughts in a language I still struggle with was definitely helpful, next time I'm gonna pick a language I'm likely to get feedback in, maybe French or even Egyptian Arabic.

I definitely like the challenge aspect of it, otherwise it's just too easy to put it off.
1 x
Formerly JohannaNYC

lemonzy
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), Russian (C1), Italian (B1),
Hungarian (A2)

Postby lemonzy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:54 am

Is anyone else doing the speaking challenge for October? There's still time to join. I really hope to be able to do this each day since I failed last time :)
1 x

Return to “Language Challenges”