6WC 6 Week Challenge - Nov 2017

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

6WC 6 Week Challenge - Nov 2017

Postby smallwhite » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:56 am

Challenge XXVII - Nov 2017

Starts: Wednesday, 1st Nov 2017 00h00m01s your time
Ends: Tuesday, 12th Dec 2017 23h59m59s your time

The 6 Week Challenge is a challenge to upgrade your language skills in one language from beginner to something more worthwhile, and to see if you can find more time to study languages when competing with other participants in a global highscore. 6 Week Challenges start on February 1st, May 1st, August 1st and November 1st every year, so there is a rough 6 weeks on / 6 weeks off pattern. Note that you can only do the 6 Week Challenge with a language that you're a beginner at or lower-intermediate at most. This allows for a more just comparison between participants.

More about the Challenge here

The bot is already taking registrations. Join us now!

6 Week Challenge Winners (2011-2017) - List of past winners and runners-up kindly created by Teango.

Sprachprofi wrote
The bot only knows ISO-639-1 languages.

ISO 639-1 codes here

The three tags #ie #multilingual #linguistics which are all grouped together as "Multilingual" on the scoreboard can be used if you don't want to differentiate between several languages.

Also available are: Nahuatl, Ancient Greek, #ASL, #Cantonese. I don't know what the tags are for the first two.

Sprachprofi wrote
Contact @Junesun or e-mail yutian DOT mei AT gmail DOT com if you have any questions or encounter any issues.

@Junesun is no longer valid and Sprachprofi, creator of the 6WC bot, is now @GermanPolyglot instead.

Link to last Challenge, Aug 2017

What language are you signing up with? Why are you learning it? Tell us!
Last edited by smallwhite on Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - Nov 2017

Postby Radioclare » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:58 am

I've signed up with Russian again. I've been struggling to make any progress recently, so really hoping that the 6WC will give me the motivation boost I need to do more study :)
0 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:28 pm

Registered for Indonesian. I'm on lesson 30 of the premium learningindonesian.com and need some motivation to do the last 42 lessons ... will be just doing those lessons plus anki, maybe some GLOSS if I want to win the challenge lol ...
0 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:38 pm

Signed up for Irish again. Just as the others, I need some motivation to really do something with my languages. I have a bunch of books in Irish I want to read, so the 6WC seems to be the optimal incentive for actually reading them. ;) Also, I will be working on my Hebrew and my Ancient Greek.
1 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

peter
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)
Studying:
Bengali (mostly harmless)
German (beginner)
Latin (beginner)

Postby peter » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:51 pm

This was timely. I was planning on some concentrated work in November. I doubt I'll be able to increase the amount of time I'm spending per week, but the challenge should help me stay consistently on task.
  • Signing up with Bengali - the aim is to master all the grammar in Part II of my book along with a sizable chunk of vocabulary.
I'll try to use tags to separate vocab and grammar/practise. I need to ensure I balance my time between these - I wrote more details in my log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6773&p=88047#p88047
0 x
"strange accents do not mar fair speech" - Beregond, Return of the King.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:50 am

6WC starts tomorrow and we have 11 participants so far. Join us now!
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:38 pm

You know, I'm actually tempted to join with German. I have been taking baby steps so far with that language and I reckon I could at least reach some sort of pseudo A1 in 6 weeks :? Let's see how I feel when I get home from work tonight.

Edit: @spoonary You have successfully registered for the 6 Week Challenge. Good luck improving your German by leaps and bounds!
Looks like I signed up :P
Last edited by Spoonary on Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Ольга
Green Belt
Languages: English, French, German, Greek, Portuguese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6206

Postby Ольга » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:00 pm

I really want to join with German. My German is about A2 now.
May I? :)
0 x
Output Challenge 2018
Hours of Recorded Speech: 0 / 50
Words: 4732 / 50000

Jojo
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (L1), English (L2), Italian (Adv), Croatian (Int), French (Int), Egyptian Arabic (Adv Beg), Greek (New Beg), Russian (New Beg)

Postby Jojo » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:36 pm

I can't seem to resist a challenge so I will probably join with Croatian. I'm pretty happy with my study routine, I just like those pretty graphs from the 6WC.
0 x
Formerly JohannaNYC

grey_squirrel
Languages: English (N), French (studying), Polish (dabbling)

Postby grey_squirrel » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:27 pm

Hi everyone, I’m new here.

I finally worked out how to create a Twitter account (the first thousand user names I thought of had already been taken so I resorted to Google translate and Scottish Gaelic) and I’d like to join in with French. I’ve previously taken Alliance Française A1 and A2 classes in England.

A bit about me:

I found this website while searching for ways to improve my French speaking ability, and I think this challenge is exactly what I need to help me focus. Earlier this year I managed to land myself an amazing job in France (which did involve a language assessment!) but my rabbit-in-the-headlights reaction to colleagues’ discussions has pulled me up short. I can follow most conversations, but by the time I formulate a response we’ve moved on by several topics.

I bought Glossika’s French Fluency 123 a couple of days ago (on sale) and it seems good, but the pronunciation of “tu” and the extensive use of “en train de” in early recordings are making my teeth itch* slightly. I plan to combine Glossika with Assimil’s New French with Ease and Sandberg's "French for Reading" (because I brought it with me). There’s a public holiday here tomorrow so I’m hoping to get off to a flying start.

Bonne chance à tous les participants !

*from Wiktionary: (idiomatic) To bother or unsettle a person; to put someone on edge.
4 x

Return to “Language Challenges”