Output Challenge 2015/2016 Discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Output Challenge 2015 Discussion

Postby rdearman » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:07 pm

Hello everyone! This month's mini-challenge is a guest challenge from Spoonary who suggestions a play!
My suggestion is - write a scene of a play! That way, there is very little description required and dialogue is generally easier to come up with, as a lot of us focus on actually speaking our target languages. The audio part can be acting out the play, which can be on video or audio (radio plays etc.).

A magnificent challenge for us all and hopefully something you can all get into!

Here are some examples for formats of real screenplays for you to have a look at.
http://www.writersstore.com/how-to-write-a-screenplay-a-guide-to-scriptwriting/

Good luck!
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:22 pm

The March Mini-challenge was:
Audio Challenge: Find a short fairy tale in your target language and record yourself reading it.
Written Challenge: Write a fairy tale, it can be as long or short as you want

The April Mini-Challenge was:
Audio and/or Written Challenge: Create an instructional video, audio dialogue, or a written manual which gives "How To" instructions. This can be on any subject from how to build a multi-hulled catamaran, to how to change a battery in a remote control. The audio/video should be at least 30 minutes long, and written instructions must be at least 750 words!

The May Mini-challenge was:
Audio/Video Challenge: Describe the rules of a game, it can be a board game, football, rugby, chess, card, whatever.
Written Challenge: Create a crossword puzzle completely in your target language on a 12 by 12 grid.

The June Mini-CHallenge was:
Audio/Video Challenge: Do some vlogging or audio recordings about your day and your life. A quick 5-10 minutes each day would quickly build up into a significant amount of output over the course of the month! So have a go.
Written Challenge: Grab a notepad, a diary, or whatever you want to write in, and keep a journal. Perhaps you could do a food diary, or just a list of cool people you met? Doesn’t matter what you write, you don't have to share it.

The July Mini-Challenge was to write, and possibly sing and record, a song. Simple huh?
Audio/Video Challenge: Record and sing the song. This assumes you have some musical talent, or could dub over something else. If you don't have any musical talent, you can head on over to http://opsound.org/music where you can get free/opensource music to record over.
Written Challenge: Write the song lyrics in your target language.

The August Mini-Challange was to write a script or the scene from a play. Very little description and lots of dialogue.

The September mini-challenge is to do arthaey's Prompted Daily Output for the entire month! Which means arthaey has to keep posting the daily challenges. But in the even she forgets, please just grab a topic from the first post of this thread or the twitter list of prompts at the beginning of her thread. You can do this challenge as both Audio/Video Challenge and as a Written Challenge, or both, completely up to you!

As always if this months challenge doesn't float your boat, then you can always return to one of the other mini-challenges and either do it again, or try some of the example exercises from the first post of this thread. Good luck everyone!
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:16 am

Hehe, I see you! ;)

I'm delighted that my idea was thought good enough to be the "official" monthly challenge. The irony that I came up with the idea because the month-long challenges weren't working for me isn't lost. ;)
3 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

Hrhenry
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish (C2), Italian (C2), Catalan, Galician, Portuguese, Norwegian

Studies: Turkish (B2), Polish, Ojibwe, Indonesian

Postby Hrhenry » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:02 am

I like the idea of using table topics for short output practice!

For this challenge, do we have to concentrate on one language, or can it be multiple languages?

R.
==
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:29 am

Hrhenry wrote:I like the idea of using table topics for short output practice!

For this challenge, do we have to concentrate on one language, or can it be multiple languages?

R.
==

Sorry but the Output challenge is just the one language you signed up for. Of course since these are short daily prompts, it doesn't stop you doing other languages, it is just that only one counts toward your Output Challenge totals.
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:35 am

Audio Challenge: Find a short fairy tale in your target language and record yourself reading it.

Audio and/or Written Challenge: Create an instructional video, audio dialogue, or a written manual which gives "How To" instructions. This can be on any subject from how to build a multi-hulled catamaran, to how to change a battery in a remote control. The audio/video should be at least 30 minutes long, and written instructions must be at least 750 words!

Audio/Video Challenge: Describe the rules of a game, it can be a board game, football, rugby, chess, card, whatever.
Written Challenge: Create a crossword puzzle completely in your target language on a 12 by 12 grid.

The June Mini-Challenge was:
Audio/Video Challenge: Do some vlogging or audio recordings about your day and your life. A quick 5-10 minutes each day would quickly build up into a significant amount of output over the course of the month! So have a go.
Written Challenge: Grab a notepad, a diary, or whatever you want to write in, and keep a journal. Perhaps you could do a food diary, or just a list of cool people you met? Doesn’t matter what you write, you don't have to share it.

The July Mini-Challenge was to write, and possibly sing and record, a song. Simple huh?
Audio/Video Challenge: Record and sing the song. This assumes you have some musical talent, or could dub over something else. If you don't have any musical talent, you can head on over to http://opsound.org/music where you can get free/opensource music to record over.

The August Mini-Challange was to write a script or the scene from a play. Very little description and lots of dialogue.

The September mini-challenge was to do arthaey's Prompted Daily Output for the entire month! Which means arthaey has to keep posting the daily challenges. But in the even she forgets, please just grab a topic from the first post of this thread or the twitter list of prompts at the beginning of her thread. You can do this challenge as both Audio/Video Challenge and as a Written Challenge, or both, completely up to you!

The October Mini-Challenge is to become a tour guide / travel writer. This challenge is for you to describe your town/villiage/city/countryside/local area and to become a tour guide by creation of a video or audio tour, or a travel writer if you only want to do the text portion. As always you need to create this content in your target language, and if you do a video please, please, please, upload it and show us a link! I'd love to see.

As always if this months challenge doesn't float your boat, then you can always return to one of the other mini-challenges and either do it again, or try some of the example exercises from the first post of this thread. Good luck everyone!
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

PsiField
Languages: English (N), French (A2), German (A2/B1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1415

Postby PsiField » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:40 pm

Sounds like fun!
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:03 pm

The June Mini-Challenge was:

The September mini-challenge was to do arthaey's Prompted Daily Output for the entire month! Which means arthaey has to keep posting the daily challenges. But in the even she forgets, please just grab a topic from the first post of this thread or the twitter list of prompts at the beginning of her thread. You can do this challenge as both Audio/Video Challenge and as a Written Challenge, or both, completely up to you!

The October Mini-Challenge is to become a tour guide / travel writer. This challenge is for you to describe your town/villiage/city/countryside/local area and to become a tour guide by creation of a video or audio tour, or a travel writer if you only want to do the text portion. As always you need to create this content in your target language, and if you do a video please, please, please, upload it and show us a link! I'd love to see.

The November Mini-Challenge is to write/record a speech. Use this link: http://www.ratespeeches.com/t=Speech-Topics to generate random topics for a speech. Write and/or record a 5 or 10 minutes speech based on one of the topics. Speech must be in your target language!

Come on people! I know you are doing output challanges out there! Lets see some. Show us the YouTube video, or the lang-8 link to your writing.
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:18 pm

rdearman wrote:Come on people! I know you are doing output challanges out there! Lets see some. Show us the YouTube video, or the lang-8 link to your writing.

I think you might be the only person still going - the rest of us have been dropping like flies! :cry:
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:22 pm

Radioclare wrote:
rdearman wrote:Come on people! I know you are doing output challanges out there! Lets see some. Show us the YouTube video, or the lang-8 link to your writing.

I think you might be the only person still going - the rest of us have been dropping like flies! :cry:

Well, time to get back on the bus!
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Language Challenges”