6WC 6 Week Challenge - Aug 2017

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
AirrickArk
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:31 am
Languages: English (Native), Spanish (Low Intermediate)

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - Aug 2017

Postby AirrickArk » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:45 am

Hello Everyone,

I was a member on HTLAL back in the day. Finally getting back into learning languages and came here. I know I'm behind on this challenge start, I will probably start during the next one. (I have previously done one with spanish)

My question is, is there any way to use the 6wcbot for personal use, outside of the challenge dates? I would like to have something like it, to keep track of my continual language studies across the board. Thanks for any help!
0 x

User avatar
smallwhite
Brown Belt
Posts: 1297
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:55 am
Languages: Cantonese (native), Mandarin, English, Spanish, French, German, Swedish, Dutch at B1 or above.
.
Studying Greek.
.
x 2214
Contact:

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - Aug 2017

Postby smallwhite » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:15 am

AirrickArk wrote:My question is, is there any way to use the 6wcbot for personal use, outside of the challenge dates? I would like to have something like it, to keep track of my continual language studies across the board. Thanks for any help!

Tracking spreadsheets and apps
1 x
: 9 / 10 10 more days of German speaking practice

User avatar
smallwhite
Brown Belt
Posts: 1297
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:55 am
Languages: Cantonese (native), Mandarin, English, Spanish, French, German, Swedish, Dutch at B1 or above.
.
Studying Greek.
.
x 2214
Contact:

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - Aug 2017

Postby smallwhite » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:18 pm

Final week alert!
0 x
: 9 / 10 10 more days of German speaking practice

Kotiro
White Belt
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 5:50 am
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C2), German (B2), French, Portuguese, Esperanto (B1), Scottish Gaelic, Norwegian (A2), Quechua, Japanese, NZSL, Auslan (A1)
On ice/rusted: Korean, Arabic, Maori

2017 Target Languages: Scottish Gaelic, Quechua, Norwegian, German
Language Log: https://kotirokarukakariki.wordpress.com/
x 14
Contact:

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - Aug 2017

Postby Kotiro » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:15 pm

I've had such a busy week I've tapered off a bit but hoping to finish strong!! Good luck everyone :) Keep it up!
0 x
: 403 / 1000 Qu Vocab 403/1000
: 2 / 4 QKP Chapters 2/4

User avatar
lemonzy
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:35 am
Languages: Spanish (N), English (Fluent), Russian (C1), German (B1), Arabic &
Hungarian (beginner)
x 8

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - Aug 2017

Postby lemonzy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:57 pm

I can't believe how quickly it has gone by already. Good luck to you all too! :)
1 x

User avatar
smallwhite
Brown Belt
Posts: 1297
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:55 am
Languages: Cantonese (native), Mandarin, English, Spanish, French, German, Swedish, Dutch at B1 or above.
.
Studying Greek.
.
x 2214
Contact:

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - Aug 2017

Postby smallwhite » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:11 am

Today is your last chance!
0 x
: 9 / 10 10 more days of German speaking practice

User avatar
smallwhite
Brown Belt
Posts: 1297
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:55 am
Languages: Cantonese (native), Mandarin, English, Spanish, French, German, Swedish, Dutch at B1 or above.
.
Studying Greek.
.
x 2214
Contact:

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - Aug 2017

Postby smallwhite » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:37 am

Honk! Hoooonk! and the 6WC is over. I hope everyone had a productive one. Once again, everyone who signed up did at least something, so Well Done Us!

It's still a bit early to tell how I rank, but I've averaged 5:22 hours which is my 4th best to date. 85% of that was in the registered target language, Greek, so obviously I improved a lot there. I reached 120 days of Greek study a few days ago, out of a planned total of 180 days, and progress is on schedule in some areas and exceeding expectations in others. I'm now taking my 2nd break from Greek, so I've been casually revisiting my other languages and my study hours have dropped significantly. I'm not eager to return to Greek after this break as the study process has been rather unchallenging. I had thought Greek was very different from other European languages grammatically, but it's not, rendering the whole task to mere vocabulary-acquisition.
0 x
: 9 / 10 10 more days of German speaking practice

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Posts: 813
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:49 pm
Location: UK
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
x 1093

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - Aug 2017

Postby DaveBee » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:30 am

smallwhite wrote:I had thought Greek was very different from other European languages grammatically, but it's not,
That's a surprise. I thought Greek (and Basque?) was supposed to be unrelated to other european languages.
0 x
FR films: 60 / 100, FR books: 37 / 35

User avatar
smallwhite
Brown Belt
Posts: 1297
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:55 am
Languages: Cantonese (native), Mandarin, English, Spanish, French, German, Swedish, Dutch at B1 or above.
.
Studying Greek.
.
x 2214
Contact:

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - Aug 2017

Postby smallwhite » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:16 am

DaveBee wrote:
smallwhite wrote:I had thought Greek was very different from other European languages grammatically, but it's not,
That's a surprise. I thought Greek (and Basque?) was supposed to be unrelated to other european languages.

I'm really sick of the present perfect tense being AGAIN a compound tense and AGAIN formed by "have + past participle", that that "have" is AGAIN same as the "have" in "I have a dog", that the past perfect tense is AGAIN formed by shifting the "have" one tense back thus "had + past participle", that there are AGAIN present and past perfect tenses to begin with, that the 6 persons are AGAIN the same 6 persons, that formal you AGAIN equals plural you, that there is AGAIN this tu/vous thing to begin with and that it is AGAIN expressed through conjugation... the only new thing about verbs is there's no infinitive, thus "she likes to sings", but that's hardly a challenge because it's more "she likes that she sings" which is the same as "I am sure I am fine. I expected something more exotic.
1 x
: 9 / 10 10 more days of German speaking practice

User avatar
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Posts: 1553
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:54 am
Location: Australia
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=784
x 2764

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - Aug 2017

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:23 am

smallwhite wrote:
DaveBee wrote:
smallwhite wrote:I had thought Greek was very different from other European languages grammatically, but it's not,
That's a surprise. I thought Greek (and Basque?) was supposed to be unrelated to other european languages.

I'm really sick of the present perfect tense being AGAIN a compound tense and AGAIN formed by "have + past participle", that that "have" is AGAIN same as the "have" in "I have a dog", that the past perfect tense is AGAIN formed by shifting the "have" one tense back thus "had + past participle", that there are AGAIN present and past perfect tenses to begin with, that the 6 persons are AGAIN the same 6 persons, that formal you AGAIN equals plural you, that there is AGAIN this tu/vous thing to begin with and that it is AGAIN expressed through conjugation... the only new thing about verbs is there's no infinitive, thus "she likes to sings", but that's hardly a challenge because it's more "she likes that she sings" which is the same as "I am sure I am fine. I expected something more exotic.


Sounds like it's time for something very different smallwhite... In terms of grammar with what little grammatical knowledge I have of other languages, I cannot make a suggestion. Still, why not try Basque or Breton or Vietnamese or Burmese or...... beats me. On a side note, i'm slightly pleased to hear Greek is not that different to other West European languages, but if I get to Greek, but the time I get there i'm likely to be like you, wanting something more unique. Still, I doubt I'll get there. What's that? Basque you say?
0 x


Return to “Language Challenges”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aloysius, hedgehog.chess and 1 guest