6WC 6 Week Challenge - Aug 2017

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - Aug 2017

Postby Radioclare » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:42 am

I've had a few issues too. Firstly none of the replies I'm getting are showing in my own mentions, so I have to go and check the original tweet or the bot page to see whether it's been replied to. Then I had three or four tweets yesterday which weren't replied to at all, although I could see the bot had been working and picking up tweets from other people around the same time. This happened to me in the last 6WC as well and I developed a theory that the problem was linked to my tweets being too similar/repetitive. So I deleted the original missed tweets, rephrased them as longer sentences, and they were all picked up within 10 minutes. I don't know why this is though and whether it's a problem with the bot or with Twitter itself.
2 x

Kotiro
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C2), German (B2), French, Portuguese, Esperanto (B1), Scottish Gaelic, Norwegian (A2), Quechua, Japanese, NZSL, Auslan (A1)
On ice/rusted: Korean, Arabic, Maori

2017 Target Languages: Scottish Gaelic, Quechua, Norwegian, German
Language Log: https://kotirokarukakariki.wordpress.com/

Postby Kotiro » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:09 am

Thanks Radioclare!! I was getting some accepted and others not, that makes sense now. Makes it a little hard since I'm doing the same activities most days, seems like I'll have to think of some creative comments!
0 x
: 403 / 1000 Qu Vocab 403/1000
: 2 / 4 QKP Chapters 2/4

geoffw
Orange Belt
Languages: Speak well = English (N), Deutsch
Speak poorly = יידיש (Yiddish), Français
"Speak," I guess = עברית (Hebrew), Русский (Russian), Español, Nederlands, Esperanto

Postby geoffw » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:52 am

Radioclare wrote:I've had a few issues too. Firstly none of the replies I'm getting are showing in my own mentions, so I have to go and check the original tweet or the bot page to see whether it's been replied to. Then I had three or four tweets yesterday which weren't replied to at all, although I could see the bot had been working and picking up tweets from other people around the same time. This happened to me in the last 6WC as well and I developed a theory that the problem was linked to my tweets being too similar/repetitive. So I deleted the original missed tweets, rephrased them as longer sentences, and they were all picked up within 10 minutes. I don't know why this is though and whether it's a problem with the bot or with Twitter itself.

Ugh. In the 6 previous 6WCs I've never done anything different than "@6WC XX minutes #LanguageName." Spending 20 minutes wrestling with this this morning I've only managed to get one new tweet registered and still have several from yesterday that I can't get picked up. Has this been fixed in the past when it occurs? If this is going to be an ongoing thing now, I'm going to just give up on 6WC altogether.
0 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:39 am

geoffw wrote:Ugh. In the 6 previous 6WCs I've never done anything different than "@6WC XX minutes #LanguageName." Spending 20 minutes wrestling with this this morning I've only managed to get one new tweet registered and still have several from yesterday that I can't get picked up. Has this been fixed in the past when it occurs? If this is going to be an ongoing thing now, I'm going to just give up on 6WC altogether.

Mine have been registering if I've tweeted something like "10 minutes #russian #memrise on the train this morning" but not if I've tweeted "10 minutes #russian #memrise".

I first had the problem during the Feb 6WC and it recurred during some of the May 6WC, but not every day and it seems to have affected some people who are participating in the challenges but not others.

I was wondering whether Twitter could be marking our tweets as spam in some way (because of them being brief, repetitive etc) and therefore not letting the bot see them to reply to them. Or marking the bot's replies to us as spam, so that they don't show up in our mentions. If so, it could just be a new development in Twitter rather than a fault with the bot. But that was just a personal theory of mine; I don't know enough about how it works to be sure :(

I can't remember whether anyone has already raised it with Sprachprofi who looks after the bot :?
3 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:39 pm

@geoffw have you checked your stats? everything is untagged though :(
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

geoffw
Orange Belt
"Speak," I guess = עברית (Hebrew), Русский (Russian), Español, Nederlands, Esperanto

Postby geoffw » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:13 am

Serpent wrote:@geoffw have you checked your stats? everything is untagged though :(

Yes, that's how I noticed that nothing was registering. Then I looked at my tweets and saw that for the first day they all had 1 reply each, and then the second day none had any replies. As of this moment I have no unanswered tweets because I just tracked my minutes on paper today (so far).

Sorry, I'm actually not sure what you mean by untagged here? As opposed to what?
0 x

geoffw
Orange Belt

Postby geoffw » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:20 am

Radioclare wrote:I first had the problem during the Feb 6WC and it recurred during some of the May 6WC, but not every day and it seems to have affected some people who are participating in the challenges but not others.

Thanks for all the info!

FWIW, something I used to run into often is that Twitter would refuse to let me post exact duplicate tweets on the same day. My workaround was to insert a superfluous space. Obviously in the present case, the tweets are (allegedly) being allowed out the door, at least, since they aren't resulting in an error.
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian

Postby Serpent » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:04 am

Untagged as opposed to having a tag like #book, #music etc.
0 x
Corrections welcome

Kotiro
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C2), German (B2), French, Portuguese, Esperanto (B1), Scottish Gaelic, Norwegian (A2), Quechua, Japanese, NZSL, Auslan (A1)
On ice/rusted: Korean, Arabic, Maori

2017 Target Languages: Scottish Gaelic, Quechua, Norwegian, German
Language Log: https://kotirokarukakariki.wordpress.com/

Postby Kotiro » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:28 pm

Does anyone know how to track sign languages? They don't seem to have a two letter code (I use/watch a bit of 3 different ones ASL, NZSL and Auslan) but for my purposes in this challenge I could group them together

Edit: ah in the first post I see one can use #ASL guess I'll group my SLs under that
0 x
: 403 / 1000 Qu Vocab 403/1000
: 2 / 4 QKP Chapters 2/4

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:48 pm

You can also use the #multilingual tag.
Note that if you register with #asl as your target language, you can't count other sign languages under the same hashtag.
0 x
Corrections welcome

Return to “Language Challenges”