6WC 6 Week Challenge - May 2017

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - May 2017

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:43 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:That's weird! I've had some slight trouble with the bot a couple of times, but nothing like that.

I ended up dropping out this time because of my trip to Bratislava, and I didn't feel like picking it up again when I came back. I should be back in the game in August though.

July is the next start, right?
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:45 pm

zenmonkey wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:That's weird! I've had some slight trouble with the bot a couple of times, but nothing like that.

I ended up dropping out this time because of my trip to Bratislava, and I didn't feel like picking it up again when I came back. I should be back in the game in August though.

No, I think it is August. It always goes for about 1.5 months and then there is a 1.5 month break.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:48 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:

No, I think it is August. It always goes for about 1.5 months and then there is a 1.5 month break.

Thanks. I don't know how I thought it was July - I just looked at the winner dates and sure enough it's clearly August.
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:39 pm

smallwhite wrote:
smallwhite wrote:I undo an #oral entry, re-tweet an #oral entry, and my #mp3s total changes :x

OK, this time, I undo an #oral entry, then do an #mp3s entry, and my #voca total changes :roll:

Well, there're hiccups to put up with, but the 6WC is still worth it - I got B1 in the Dialang grammar test just now :P I did not expect that at all :P Before the test, I thought my grammar was only so-so, and during the test I almost gave up because both the vocabulary and the grammar felt too hard. (The test probably adjusts itself to your level but I have very low tolerance for difficult words and tasks). Anyway... couldn't be happier! I love the 6WC!
5 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:38 am

OK, we've made it through yet another 6WC. Well done, everyone!

I noticed that this time, we only had 1 member who signed up but did not upload any scores, and that's our lowest number ever. We used to get more than 10 of them.

I signed up for Greek and managed to spend 93% of my time on Greek. That reflects how I'm loving my shiny new toy. I also managed to average 4:28 hours of study per day, 25 minutes less that my all-time average but satisfactory nonetheless. I study a lot more leisurely when the 6WC is not on, so when it is, I try to get as much intensive grinding work done as possible. This time, the torturous intensive work was to acquire basic vocabulary such that following textbook dialogues and examples wouldn't be so torturous, ie. I shifted the source of torture. Got 2192 recognition flashcards made and studied during the 6WC. Also got more background listening done than usual, although that doesn't fully reflect in the scores due to discounting. Result is, it's still all Greek to me but not as Greek as before.
4 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Return to “Language Challenges”