6WC 6 Week Challenge - May 2017

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
JohannaNYC
Yellow Belt
Languages: In order of fluency: English (L2), Spanish (L1),
Italian (Adv.), Croatian (Int.), French (Adv. Beg.),
Egyptian Arabic (Beg.), Greek (New Beg.), Russian (New Beg.)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15795

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - May 2017

Postby JohannaNYC » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:29 pm

Is anyone else feeling an adrenaline rush? I wish we could get started today! I'm feeling so envious of those in Europe, but especially those in Asia.
2 x
Corrections welcomed!

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:30 pm

JohannaNYC wrote:Is anyone else feeling an adrenaline rush? I wish we could get started today! I'm feeling so envious of those in Europe, but especially those in Asia.

I generally start--and end--the challenge using Berlin time. Otherwise, I'm consistently a day behind everyone else which can seem very de-motivating (if that's a word.)

I'm in again--for the last time, I swear--with Spanish. Maybe I'll finally hit intermediate this time. Or next time.
1 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

schlaraffenland
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2)
Actively studying: French (C1), Japanese (~N5)
My old flames: Latin, Ancient Greek (Koine, Attic, Homeric)
On ice for now: Spanish, Korean, Turkish, Norwegian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5831

Postby schlaraffenland » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:37 pm

I've decided to register in addition for Japanese part-time. I am not a complete beginner, and I'm enrolled in a once-a-week course at present. But I find I could use some accountability to keep me learning daily and practicing what I acquire, instead of dashing off the homework the night before and coming up stumped when asked to produce very basic sentences. :?

I'm also all too susceptible to the habit of pitting one language against another as procrastination, as I'm sure many people here are... "Well, it's easier to read 70 pages of a German novel right now than to learn and practice the elementary Japanese verb forms we learned this week, so I'll bask in my false sense of accomplishment from the former." I hope to balance things out better via the challenge and develop a daily habit, all while racking up the hours.

Edit: Oops, now I see that the bot only allows registration for one language, and for good reason. :D Fair enough! Perhaps I'll simply keep a personal tally of how it goes with Japanese over the next six weeks.
1 x
: 120 / 150 Expressions françaises (120/150)

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon May 01, 2017 6:17 am

schlaraffenland wrote:I've decided to register in addition for Japanese part-time. I am not a complete beginner, and I'm enrolled in a once-a-week course at present. But I find I could use some accountability to keep me learning daily and practicing what I acquire, instead of dashing off the homework the night before and coming up stumped when asked to produce very basic sentences. :?

I'm also all too susceptible to the habit of pitting one language against another as procrastination, as I'm sure many people here are... "Well, it's easier to read 70 pages of a German novel right now than to learn and practice the elementary Japanese verb forms we learned this week, so I'll bask in my false sense of accomplishment from the former." I hope to balance things out better via the challenge and develop a daily habit, all while racking up the hours.

Edit: Oops, now I see that the bot only allows registration for one language, and for good reason. :D Fair enough! Perhaps I'll simply keep a personal tally of how it goes with Japanese over the next six weeks.

You can only register for one language, but you can track them all. One of the things I like to do, is to look at my graphs to see how much time I'm using on each language compared to the others. It is useful for getting that balance you're looking for.
2 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon May 01, 2017 9:44 am

CarlyD wrote:
JohannaNYC wrote:Is anyone else feeling an adrenaline rush? I wish we could get started today! I'm feeling so envious of those in Europe, but especially those in Asia.

I generally start--and end--the challenge using Berlin time. Otherwise, I'm consistently a day behind everyone else which can seem very de-motivating (if that's a word.)

I'm in again--for the last time, I swear--with Spanish. Maybe I'll finally hit intermediate this time. Or next time.

But there is an advantage to being in one of the last time zones to start too. You can see how much time the people in Europe and Asia did that day and then you know what to aim for. "Brun Ugle did six hours today? I'll show her! I'll do six hours and one minute. :twisted: "
2 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Mon May 01, 2017 4:07 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
schlaraffenland wrote:I've decided to register in addition for Japanese part-time. I am not a complete beginner, and I'm enrolled in a once-a-week course at present. But I find I could use some accountability to keep me learning daily and practicing what I acquire, instead of dashing off the homework the night before and coming up stumped when asked to produce very basic sentences. :?

You can only register for one language, but you can track them all. One of the things I like to do, is to look at my graphs to see how much time I'm using on each language compared to the others. It is useful for getting that balance you're looking for.

Just to check, before I get myself in a muddle, I log everything with my target language using that hashtag (plus whatever tags I'm using for me). And then any other language work without any hashtags? Or with that language's hashtag but not any additional tags?
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1), Mandarin Chinese (B1), Spanish (A2), Polish (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17648

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Mon May 01, 2017 4:11 pm

MamaPata wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:

Just to check, before I get myself in a muddle, I log everything with my target language using that hashtag (plus whatever tags I'm using for me). And then any other language work without any hashtags? Or with that language's hashtag but not any additional tags?

With that language hashtag, plus any others you want. On the charts it'll show up in a different colour and it'll count towards your 'total' score (but not your TL score). :)
1 x
pronouns: she/her

: 31 / 365 365-Day Language Challenge; de, zh, es

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon May 01, 2017 4:20 pm

MamaPata wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:

If you're doing more than one language, you need to put the language hashtag and the time, all other hashtags are optional.

I almost always tweet in the form @6WCBot #language #personaltag xx min Here are some examples of my tweets so far for the day so you can get an idea how it works:

@6WCBot #es #audiobook 53 min
@6WCBot #ja #Clozemaster 9 min
@6WCBot #es #vocab 22 min
@6WCBot #de #podcast 47 min
@6WCBot #de #Duolingo 23 min
@6WCBot #ja #audiolingual 21 min
@6WCBot #ja #script 20 min

Now if you go to the score page and click on my name, you can look at the graph for all the tags and languages. Since today is the first day though, there isn't a lot to see. You'll probably get a better idea of how the graphs look if you click on "Old High Scores" and look at the my graphs from last time.
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon May 01, 2017 8:46 pm

Signing up with my German. Currently passive B1, active A1. It should help. The goal: something every day.

Thanks for still running this, guys.
1 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Mon May 01, 2017 9:47 pm

Brun Ugle wrote: But there is an advantage to being in one of the last time zones to start too. You can see how much time the people in Europe and Asia did that day and then you know what to aim for. "Brun Ugle did six hours today? I'll show her! I'll do six hours and one minute. :twisted: "

Ummm.....you weren't supposed to notice that I've been doing that. :oops:
1 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

Return to “Language Challenges”