April Vocabulary Challenge

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: April Vocabulary Challenge

Postby Cavesa » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:15 pm

Could my info in the first post be changed to a few thousands instead of just thousands? I simply have no clue whether I know 2000 or 5000 or how many words, just thousands looks like much much more :-D

Of course it is not a priority, just a detail
0 x

shandra
Orange Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (B1), Spanish (SIELE: Reading B2, Listening C1), French (A2), Chinese (HSK1), Japanese (JLPT N5) Frozen: Danish, Forgotten: Romanian
Language Log: http://bit.ly/2C2Du5z

Postby shandra » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:30 pm

Shandra
Language: French
Estimate of pre-April vocabulary: active 50 (passive B1)
Goal: 1000+ (Memrise's French A1 deck)
Words Learned in April:
Hi! I'm in too!
I'm just started French A1 deck from Memrise (thanks Tom Gosse!)

I need to reactivate my French vocabulary: I can read many texts due to cognates words and similarities to my native grammar, but if you ask me to talk in French I have to admit that I've forgotten almost everything, except maybe je m'appelle, ça va, croissant :roll:

The deck will allow me to type words in French keeping attention on details (spelling, accents). I remember the App makes things way easier, so I'll try to use it only when commuting to/from work.
1 x

CurlySue
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (advanced fluency), Japanese (JLPT N2), Spanish (intermediate), Hebrew (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5609

Postby CurlySue » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:07 pm

OK, I've added all the new people (as of this writing) and made the change Cavesa asked for.

Aozora wrote:How will we be updating our progress? Part of a contest is seeing where others are at.

I made an update to the OP, but I'll re-post it here:

CurlySue wrote:EDIT/NOTE: This contest will run through April 1st (today) to April 30, whatever your local time is. On the morning of:

Saturday, April 8th
Saturday, April 15th and
Saturday, April 22nd

I will post an announcement asking how everyone is doing. You don't have to answer, but if you do, you will have until Sunday (the next day) at 11:59pm EST to post an update. On each subsequent Monday (10th, 17th, and 24th), I will post a graphic showing how many words everyone who responded has learned.

All of your updates should be totals for April, i.e. on the weekend of the 22nd-23rd, please update with the number of words you've learned from April 1st, and not just the past week.

Good luck and happy learning to all!
4 x
: 3 / 16 Pimsleur Conversational Hebrew
: 2 / 9 Hebrew: A Language Course 1
: 0 / 10Hebrew: A Language Course 2
: 0 / 12Hebrew: A Language Course 3
: 4 / 500 Hebrew Comprehensible Input (500 Hours)

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:09 pm

I'd like to join too.

I have been trying to wrap up the 6WC challenge lately, by finishing some of the stuff I started in Portuguese, and I'm approaching a natural cut off point now (few days, maybe). At the same time, I'm really eager to start focusing on Russian again, and for this challenge, I have picked up the Harry Potter deck on Memrise. I started on it a long time ago and gave up almost immediately, as I just wasn't ready for it. But I have tried it again today, and it feels much better now. I have the book too, and will be reading in it to reinforce the vocabulary I pick up from the Memrise deck.

I'm going to do other stuff in Russian too, including learning the vocabulary of my Russian texts for the Literature course I'm doing, but I'm not going to count those, as I don't want to waste time trying to count words. I may change my mind if I decide I need to use Anki, for example, because then Anki will be doing the counting.

Which brings me to my comment on the "being fair"-discussion: I think we will all be winners here if we reach our goals, and I think the most important thing about the rules is that they make it easy for people to focus on their learning needs. I'm not counting inflected forms because my chosen deck doesn't do that, but if someone is using another Memrise deck that does use inflected forms, why should that exclude them from joining us? And if that means they end up learning twice as many words as me in this competition, that's fine with me.

So, the registration form:

Language: Russian
Estimate of pre-April vocabulary: 1000, maybe?
Goal: 300 minimum
Words Learned in April:
3 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:01 pm

Ok, I'll bite too...it's just one month...Mother Russia forgive me!

Please add me to your list (fingers crossed this doesn't turn out to be a fool's errand given the date ;) ).

Teango
Language: Hawaiian
Estimate of pre-April vocabulary: ~2,000 words
Goal: +2,000 (i.e., ~4,000 words total)
Words Learned in April:
Last edited by Teango on Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

CurlySue
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (advanced fluency), Japanese (JLPT N2), Spanish (intermediate), Hebrew (beginner)

Postby CurlySue » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:51 am

Added Mista and Teango :)

Mista wrote:Which brings me to my comment on the "being fair"-discussion: I think we will all be winners here if we reach our goals, and I think the most important thing about the rules is that they make it easy for people to focus on their learning needs. I'm not counting inflected forms because my chosen deck doesn't do that, but if someone is using another Memrise deck that does use inflected forms, why should that exclude them from joining us? And if that means they end up learning twice as many words as me in this competition, that's fine with me.

Agreed 100%.

I had the idea to do this more to challenge myself/keep myself on track more than anything.
2 x

Jimjam
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese N4, German B1
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1789

Postby Jimjam » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:51 am

Ooh this sounds like fun! I'm going to enter with Japanese, though i'm not in it to win; just to kickstart my japanese vocab studies again.
I've been learning for a few years so i'm not sure how many words I actually know, but I would estimate it to be between 2500 - 3000.
I'll be hopefully doing 21 words per day, so my goal will be 600, and I will only be counting headwords.
I'm a little sick of using flashcard apps and programs so I'm going to make use of some of the books I have, primarily the 日本語単語スピードマスター books starting with the n4-n5 book to find any left over words then moving on to the n3 book. I'll be writing these into a little vocabulary word book thing my friend got me from South Korea. This one now has 89 pages, with space for 7 words per page (thus my goal of 21 per day) so I hope to just about fill it up with this challenge. I might end up getting sick of this and going back to flashcard programs but it feels nice to be free of them for the time being.

Language: Japanese
Estimate of pre-April vocabulary: 2500-3000
Goal: 21 per day, so around 600 (though i'm happy with learning anything new in Japanese)
Words learned in April:
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:22 am

Language: Spanish
Estimate of pre-April vocabulary: I have no idea. A few thousand.
Goal: Finish my Memrise course, so 1250 - 437 = 813

That will be a little difficult for me to complete, but I'm trying to force a breakthrough in my Spanish this month, so maybe this will help. I'm counting each Memrise card as a "word". The course I'm using has mostly individual words (in dictionary headword form), but also some phrases.

I'm Brun_Ugle on Memrise. If anyone wants some friendly competition for the top spot on the leaderboard, add me.
4 x

CurlySue
White Belt

Postby CurlySue » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:38 am

Added Jimjam and Brun Ungle :)
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:10 am

CurlySue wrote:Added Jimjam and Brun Ungle :)

Thanks. There's no n in Ugle, by the way.
0 x

Return to “Language Challenges”