Output Challenge 2017 - Registration and Discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Output Challenge 2017 - Registration and Discussion

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:15 pm

I think the requirements are OK. I really should have been able to complete it this year, but it was kind of a tough year for me and I ended up not getting much of anything done. I think the hardest part is the recording even though it averages at less than 9 minutes per day. It’s hard to get used to talking out loud to no one like that, and it took me a while to really get started, so I was behind from the beginning and never caught up. This year, I will try to start right away and make some longer recordings when I can so that it doesn’t matter if I skip a day now and then.
1 x

Ольга
Green Belt
Languages: English, French, German, Greek, Portuguese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6206

Postby Ольга » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:55 pm

I am quite interested in the Output Challenge!
Looks captivating. I am really impressed by the success of other participants! :)
I am going to sign up with English in January.
I hope I won't fail again, like I did in the 6W challenge. :D
1 x
Output Challenge 2018
Hours of Recorded Speech: 0 / 50
Words: 4732 / 50000

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:50 pm

This year I only made it to 13856 words (about 28%) and was never doing the spoken part. I gave up in about July to be honest, because I was finding that I was getting more and more feedback that I didn't know how to work from, and I had other priorities. However, it made me write far far far more than I would have done on my own, so I'm really pleased with my terrible little score. I'd definitely be up for doing it again this year - it was a useful source of motivation to write, when I was doing it properly. Writing is absolutely the skill I neglect and it shows a lot, so it's useful for me to have to push myself.

I don't really have an opinion on the requirements - 50000 words works out at just under 140 words a day, which isn't too much really. I personally don't like writing much more than that because I like to get corrections and above 200 words feels like too much to ask people to correct for free. So I probably won't ever 'win', because I'm never going to write daily. But I don't think that means it has to go down - it's useful having a higher goal because it pushes you to do more, even if you technically fail. Equally, 50000 is a come down from what you previously did and it may be accessible for lots of people. If we want, people like me who are not natural writers can always aim for a half or something.

If you were thinking of changing anything, it might be nice to be able to do less with more than one language (my priorities are going to change halfway through the year, so I don't know what to go for) but I can also see that that doesn't match with the main goal really.
3 x
Corrections appreciated.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:35 pm

Good point, I could change it so people can sign up with more than one language.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Language Challenges”