Interest in an East Asian TAC team in 2017?

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)

Would you be interested in participating in an East Asian language TAC team in 2017?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:19 am

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes: 12

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Re: Interest in an East Asian TAC team in 2017?

Postby reineke » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:06 pm

Xelian wrote:
ロータス wrote:Couldnt wait until New Years so here it is lol

Thanks for the late Christmas present.. XD I was so excited to see it this evening!!

Also, I need to sign up on the TAC thread before I can join the East Asian TAC team right?

You can create your own TAC group, start an individual TAC challenge, find a TAC buddy or form an informal group. You don't need anyone's permission to start a TAC and you can start this summer if you like. What's over is TAC's recent transformation into a group you sign up for. The most successful TAC I've seen was an individual effort in 2008. The participant "destroyed " Japanese and left behind a long list of very useful study resources.
2 x

Xelian
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:
Arabic (Egyptian, Yemeni), Hindi, Turkish, Thai, Tibetan, Nepali, Bengali, Urdu, Russian, Armenian, Greek, Kurdish, Farsi
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17163

Postby Xelian » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:43 pm

reineke wrote:
Xelian wrote:
ロータス wrote:Couldnt wait until New Years so here it is lol

Thanks for the late Christmas present.. XD I was so excited to see it this evening!!

Also, I need to sign up on the TAC thread before I can join the East Asian TAC team right?

You can create your own TAC group, start an individual TAC challenge, find a TAC buddy or form an informal group. You don't need anyone's permission to start a TAC and you can start this summer if you like. What's over is TAC's recent transformation into a group you sign up for. The most successful TAC I've seen was an individual effort in 2008. The participant "destroyed " Japanese and left behind a long list of very useful study resources.

Hey thanks for the info, I might just do that. Can it be just my own log, or should I start a thread on the "challenges" board? I assume since I'm kind of doing it anyway, I can just make my log into it on my own and that would be enough..
0 x
: 84 / 1000 Japanese Pages Read

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:17 am

It can be anything you like, including your own log (especially your own log). You can simply create a log and decide later whether you wish to declare a challenge. If you create a TAC group you don't have to act like a concierge, signing people up etc.

I don't want to talk you into something you'll abandon in a few weeks and I don't want you to feel foolish being the only person with "TAC" in the log title. If you feel like chilling and chatting about language learning in some kind of collaborative environment, maybe a language group is a better idea. To use gym terminology, the point of the TAC challenge is to work hard, feel the burn and have something to show for it. If you were studying an alphabet-based language, I'd say that a good TAC goal would be to complete the "super" challenge by the end of summer. If you have no time for any study, committing to a minimum of 60 minutes" worth of study time before bed is a great and challenging goal. Find an achieveble but challenging goal and try to complete it. Everyone's circumstances are different.
1 x

Xelian
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:
Arabic (Egyptian, Yemeni), Hindi, Turkish, Thai, Tibetan, Nepali, Bengali, Urdu, Russian, Armenian, Greek, Kurdish, Farsi
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17163

Postby Xelian » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:47 am

reineke wrote:I don't want to talk you into something you'll abandon in a few weeks and I don't want you to feel foolish being the only person with "TAC" in the log title. If you feel like chilling and chatting about language learning in some kind of collaborative environment, maybe a language group is a better idea. To use gym terminology, the point of the TAC challenge is to work hard, feel the burn and have something to show for it. If you were studying an alphabet-based language, I'd say that a good TAC goal would be to complete the "super" challenge by the end of summer. If you have no time for any study, committing to a minimum of 60 minutes" worth of study time before bed is a great and challenging goal. Find an achieveble but challenging goal and try to complete it. Everyone's circumstances are different.

Thanks for the heads up, I had my log titled TAC for a while, as I thought that the "East Asian Team 2017~" was a TAC team. It is actually more of a study group, which I'm still a part of anyway.

As far as my circumstances go, I study two languages for a minimum of 2 hours a day (1 hour each) in my university classes, plus the homework that takes maybe another 2 hours minimum, but I am also trying to supplement it with something extra (as usual). I'll look into the "super" challenge, I'm not quite sure what that is..
1 x
: 84 / 1000 Japanese Pages Read

Return to “Language Challenges”