NaNoWriMo (writing a novel from November 1-30)

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Re: NaNoWriMo

Postby arthaey » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:04 pm

Note that not even the creator of NaNoWriMo, nor the official site or forums, are sticklers for the "rules". It's "supposed" to be 50,000 words of fiction, which you start from scratch. But there are many "NaNo Rebels" who tweak the rules to suit themselves: non-fiction, working on an incomplete story, a lower (or higher!) word-count goal, etc.

If I write in anything but English, I'll defintiely be lowering my word count goal from 50,000 to something appropriately "very challenging but achievable" — which is the main point of NaNoWriMo, apart from a (very) rough draft at the end of the month. :)
0 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:33 pm

Ok, so this is one of those things I would love to do but which my current living situation (11am-8pm work day, family who don't give me any peace etc.) will make extremely difficult. However, I think I might just be able to persuade myself to have a go!

arthaey wrote:If I write in anything but English, I'll defintiely be lowering my word count goal from 50,000 to something appropriately "very challenging but achievable" — which is the main point of NaNoWriMo, apart from a (very) rough draft at the end of the month. :)

Yeah, I was thinking that. Maybe we could all settle on a Llorg NaNo word count to aim for? Maybe 25,000 words?
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:14 pm

Spoonary wrote:Ok, so this is one of those things I would love to do but which my current living situation (11am-8pm work day, family who don't give me any peace etc.) will make extremely difficult. However, I think I might just be able to persuade myself to have a go!

arthaey wrote:If I write in anything but English, I'll defintiely be lowering my word count goal from 50,000 to something appropriately "very challenging but achievable" — which is the main point of NaNoWriMo, apart from a (very) rough draft at the end of the month. :)

Yeah, I was thinking that. Maybe we could all settle on a Llorg NaNo word count to aim for? Maybe 25,000 words?

I'm still going to aim for 50,000. I have a friend who might kill me if I don't even try... :?
0 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:27 pm

Any writing prompts?
0 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

arthaey
Brown Belt
EN (native);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)

Postby arthaey » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:38 pm

Spoonary wrote:Ok, so this is one of those things I would love to do but which my current living situation (11am-8pm work day, family who don't give me any peace etc.) will make extremely difficult. However, I think I might just be able to persuade myself to have a go!

Running away to a cafe can be a good solution, especially if there are any local meetups to join.

Spoonary wrote:Maybe we could all settle on a Llorg NaNo word count to aim for? Maybe 25,000 words?

IME, a good custom goal needs to be per-person, based on however much you would be able to write if you spent nearly all your free time writing.

If you are a fast writer in your native language, it would be "fair" to adjust that percentage downward. But for me, to write 50,000 English words takes up all my non-sleeping/eating/working time.
1 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
EN (native);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)

Postby arthaey » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:40 pm

Expugnator wrote:Any writing prompts?

With the caveat of do whatever works for you, I wouldn't recommend using a writing prompt for a project like NaNo. By the time you hit the 3rd Week Slump of Despair ;) you want it to be a story your really have your heart in.

(The 4th week gets better, I promise!)
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:02 am

arthaey wrote:
Expugnator wrote:Any writing prompts?

With the caveat of do whatever works for you, I wouldn't recommend using a writing prompt for a project like NaNo. By the time you hit the 3rd Week Slump of Despair ;) you want it to be a story your really have your heart in.

(The 4th week gets better, I promise!)

Ha, my fourth week is usually me surrounded by encouraging crowds of people going 'come on, you can do it! Just write anything, anything at all!' and me, painstakingly, typing out

a...

n...

d...

before giving up and starting to knit something instead.

But. Um. No one else is like that.
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:47 am

I have won nano a couple of times and i have written a lot of books. The trick is to have an outline.
3 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:15 am

rdearman wrote:I have won nano a couple of times and i have written a lot of books. The trick is to have an outline.

Yep. This is always my stumbling block. I think that I've planned really effectively each year only to realise about a third of the way through that I forgot to outline the plot. Fingers crossed that I break this streak this year.
0 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:04 am

I had to look up NaNoWriMo as I had never heard or seen antyhing about it before. Write a novel in one month? In your TL :shock: You guys are crazy.
3 x
Ich grolle nicht

Return to “Language Challenges”