NaNoWriMo (writing a novel from November 1-30)

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: NaNoWriMo (writing a novel from November 1-30)

Postby rdearman » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:56 pm

Spoonary wrote:
Elenia wrote:You can do it! I believe in you!

Thank you so much for your belief, but maybe you should believe in someone else. I got to 1,610 words this afternoon, and at this point, I don't want to write any more. :oops:

Maybe I'll pick my pen back up when my family is in bed tonight and I can focus a little better, who knows...

I have to say aswell that the quality of what I've written so far is absolute trash :lol: In the spirit of NaNo, I'm resisting the temptation to edit anything, but still, my wording is SO "calque-y" and Spanglish it's not even funny. :roll:

Better than me! I've only managed 50 words in 2 days, and that was only because of the Chrome/Google Docs speech recognition plugin for french.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:55 am

Spoonary wrote:
Elenia wrote:You can do it! I believe in you!

Thank you so much for your belief, but maybe you should believe in someone else. I got to 1,610 words this afternoon, and at this point, I don't want to write any more. :oops:

Maybe I'll pick my pen back up when my family is in bed tonight and I can focus a little better, who knows...

I have to say aswell that the quality of what I've written so far is absolute trash :lol: In the spirit of NaNo, I'm resisting the temptation to edit anything, but still, my wording is SO "calque-y" and Spanglish it's not even funny. :roll:

You get a well done from me, too! You've got about 1,000 words more than me, and I've attempted this before! Yep, my faith remains firmly in you!
0 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:07 pm

I think I have reached my peak early though. I'm currently on my lunch break at work and I still don't really feel like writing when I leave today.

The thing is, I have finished my prologue, so now it's time to dive into the story itself and I just can't be bothered :lol:
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:40 pm

That's the great thing about NaNo. It takes a look at 'can't be bothered' and shoves it off a cliff.

(In theory. In practice - well, take a look at my languishing word count!)
1 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:58 am

So, after a whole week of not writing anything at all, I picked up my pen again this evening and wrote just under 500 words. I think I might be out of my slump now and I'm hoping to write at least something each day.

I have let go of my hopes of writing 50,000 words in a month and I have also admitted to myself that what I'm writing is basically just a narrativised (is that even a word?) account of several events in my life and an exploration of my thoughts about them. It's basically just my brain smooshed onto paper in sub-par Spanglish, but it's something. :roll:
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:01 am

Spoonary wrote: but it's something

That's the spirit! That's the true spirit of NaNoWriMo!
1 x

Return to “Language Challenges”