6WC 6 Week Challenge - Aug 2016

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - Aug 2016

Postby Mista » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:43 pm

aokoye wrote:
Mista wrote:Twitter doesn't like me anymore.

On Friday, I finally landed at home and in front of the computer after various vacation things going on for a week or so. Meanwhile I had been writing down every language learning activity I had been doing, and on Friday I started tweeting these one by one. Obviously not a good idea, because after a while, twitter decided that I was spamming and blocked my tweets. And it told be to take a break and come back a bit later. Which I did - and now twitter lets me tweet, but the bot isn't responding, and neither is the Super Challenge bot. Does anyone have any idea how I can sort this out?

Honestly I would just contact Twitter and let them know what's going on so. I'm sure they'll be quick to get things sorted. In the future I would just group everything into blocks by tags if you're using them or, if you aren't, just put everything in in one giant block. For example, if I was using Anki for a week that I didn't have access to the internet and was using it for an hour a day I would type @6WCBot #Swedish #Anki 7 hours as opposed to typing @6WCBot #Swedish #Anki 60 min seven times.

Thanks - I did as you said and now I'm back in business.

I'm now up to date in the list, but unfortunately I'm a bit further down the list than I was before. My apologies, by the way, to those I have passed at high speed in the last hour, while posting everything I did the last two weeks... I'll be updating at least daily from now on.
1 x

Ketutar
Orange Belt
Languages: Finnish (N), Swedish, English, French (~A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3147

Postby Ketutar » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:28 pm

If I'm "moonlighting" with other languages than my target language, how do I log it in?
What is the code for Finnic language group?
0 x
Memrise: 656 / 1657
5000 words: 2300 / 5000

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:01 pm

The good news is that you don't need to register separately :) Anything you tweet will count for the totals.
The bad news is that I don't think there are tags for most Finnic languages. There's a link on the first page of the thread. Unless you're learning Estonian I think you'll need to tweet #multilingual or #linguistics ;) There might be a Saami tag too, not sure.
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:21 am

smallwhite wrote:Starts: Monday, 1st Aug 2016 00h00m01s your time
Ends: Sunday, 11th Sep 2016 23h59m59s your time

We're entering the final week of our Challenge! Keep up the good work!
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:33 am

smallwhite wrote:

Wow the time has really flown by! I haven't made as much progress as I may have wanted to but I didn't give up which is the most important part for me. Moreover I progressed further in the textbook I'm using than I did when I was taking Swedish at my university (they finished the book by the end of the year but I had to drop the course).
1 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:22 am

smallwhite wrote:

Just when I'm finally getting into the rhythm of it. My first two or three weeks were terrible.
0 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:43 am

Last weekend! Everyone all excited? :D

I think I did pretty good this 6WC--lots of progress in my textbook and with vocabulary. Now back to lots of grammar until the next one starts.

Anyone else have good progress to report?
1 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1131 / 15000

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:01 am

CarlyD wrote:Last weekend! Everyone all excited? :D

I think I did pretty good this 6WC--lots of progress in my textbook and with vocabulary. Now back to lots of grammar until the next one starts.

Anyone else have good progress to report?

Well, I felt like it took me a long time to really get going what with post-vacation tiredness (and laziness) and a bit of illness, but now I seem to be getting into study modus again --- just in time for the challenge to end. :? :lol:
1 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:54 am

Mista wrote:I've signed up for Russian. I've been working on Russian for about half a year now, a little bit more intensively since I signed up for the Super Challenge in May. So far I have been using Duolingo, Mondly and Russianpod, plus various reading materials and TV for the Super Challenge. What I really want to focus on for this challenge is WRITING - so far, I haven't written a single Russian letter by hand. I have some handwriting books and a texbook for beginners, both of which I have not started using yet. I also have an Easy Reader at A1 level, which I want to work with for intensive reading. I'd like to work with all these on a daily basis, at least 15-20 minutes for each. I also want to do RussianPod daily (it has been a bit irregular until now).

In addition to that, I want to keep up what I have been doing: Duolingo and Mondly daily, and some reading and listening/watching at least weekly for the Super Challenge.

Ok, now that the challencge is over, it's time to evaluate.
- My Russian is MUCH better than it was, which is the most important thing.
- I did do a lot of writing, though maybe not as much as I thought I would. I have mainly been doing handwriting practice. Got the workbook for my course book last week, and started doing some more writing then, but that's something I'll keep working with, as I've barely started on the book.
- Easy reader - never got back to that, will do so now. Hopefully I'll notice how much I've learned these six weeks!
- Have done plenty of Duolingo, Mondly and RussianPod, as planned, and have noticed the effects of it. Will continue, but probably at a slower pace to make more room for French.
- Finally, logging everything I do has made me realize that I don't do as much as I think I do. A very useful observation, which has made me become a bit more efficient. But in that process, I've noticed that taking breaks can be useful too...
4 x

lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:56 am

Mista wrote:- Finally, logging everything I do has made me realize that I don't do as much as I think I do. A very useful observation, which has made me become a bit more efficient.

Yes, this is what the 6WC taught me too. This was my first 6WC and I'm glad I did it. I added more variety to my studying routines and worked nearly every day of the entire challenge other than a few days when I was on a short trip.
2 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

Return to “Language Challenges”