6WC 6 Week Challenge - Aug 2016

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - Aug 2016

Postby aokoye » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:55 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:
smallwhite wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:Dammit... you're tempting me to have an affair with Dutch without French knowing... Actually as I speak i'm ripping the audio to Assimil - Le Néerlandais in the hopes that some day in the future we can all get along :)

Then there's motivation for you to finish off French asap. My French knows I'm seeing Dutch. And Swedish, and Korean and Latin and all the little nymphs that don't even make it to my profile, but he's fine with it ;) Boy, are those nymphs seductive!

It's not a 6 week one, but nevertheless, challenge accepted! Or should I say 'geaccepteerd', sorry I mean 'accepté' ;)

If we ever have a Dutch challenge I am so SO in.
1 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:43 am

aokoye wrote:If we ever have a Dutch challenge I am so SO in.

You start one, then. We can't know what kind of challenge you're up for.
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:25 pm

smallwhite wrote:

No! Don't start one! I need to step away from the Dutch books, do it PM, slowly, but surely... and unsubscribe to this thread dammit!
1 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:58 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:No! Don't start one! I need to step away from the Dutch books, do it PM, slowly, but surely... and unsubscribe to this thread dammit!

Haha... :lol: YOU are the one got me into this Dutch quicksand, you know! You and Vogeltje!
2 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:33 pm

smallwhite wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:No! Don't start one! I need to step away from the Dutch books, do it PM, slowly, but surely... and unsubscribe to this thread dammit!

Haha... :lol: YOU are the one got me into this Dutch quicksand, you know! You and Vogeltje!

Ummm... :oops: oops? I think you'll find it was Vogeltje 99.99% and my 0.01%. Unless of course you reach C1 in Dutch and it opens many exciting doors for you, then it's the other way around- 99.99% me and 0.01% Vogeltje ;)

Edit: A good start btw for me yesterday. Despite being extremely tired I pushed my way through 3 hours of French courses, so that one day, perhaps 10 to 20 years from now, I'll start Dutch! Yay! Umm... Anyway, see you in 20 years when you know 72 more languages than me ;)
1 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)

Postby aokoye » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:04 am

smallwhite wrote:

You'll probably have to wait until next August or September ;) Right now I'm focused on Swedish, in a little over a month I'm tacking on Modern Hebrew, and I'm hoping to spend a month in Vienna next summer (maybe with a side trip to Amsterdam?)
0 x

Snow
Orange Belt
Languages: Tagalog (native), English (advanced), Spanish (intermediate), Korean (upper beginner)

Postby Snow » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:21 am

I dropped out from the challenge just now. :oops: I've decided to focus on my Korean instead.

Good luck to everyone! And thanks to Ketutar for the tweet.
1 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:25 pm

Twitter doesn't like me anymore.

On Friday, I finally landed at home and in front of the computer after various vacation things going on for a week or so. Meanwhile I had been writing down every language learning activity I had been doing, and on Friday I started tweeting these one by one. Obviously not a good idea, because after a while, twitter decided that I was spamming and blocked my tweets. And it told be to take a break and come back a bit later. Which I did - and now twitter lets me tweet, but the bot isn't responding, and neither is the Super Challenge bot. Does anyone have any idea how I can sort this out?
0 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby aokoye » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:05 pm

Mista wrote:Twitter doesn't like me anymore.

On Friday, I finally landed at home and in front of the computer after various vacation things going on for a week or so. Meanwhile I had been writing down every language learning activity I had been doing, and on Friday I started tweeting these one by one. Obviously not a good idea, because after a while, twitter decided that I was spamming and blocked my tweets. And it told be to take a break and come back a bit later. Which I did - and now twitter lets me tweet, but the bot isn't responding, and neither is the Super Challenge bot. Does anyone have any idea how I can sort this out?

Honestly I would just contact Twitter and let them know what's going on so. I'm sure they'll be quick to get things sorted. In the future I would just group everything into blocks by tags if you're using them or, if you aren't, just put everything in in one giant block. For example, if I was using Anki for a week that I didn't have access to the internet and was using it for an hour a day I would type @6WCBot #Swedish #Anki 7 hours as opposed to typing @6WCBot #Swedish #Anki 60 min seven times.
0 x

MCK74
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Studying: Spanish (intermediate) German (beginner) Latin (beginner)

Postby MCK74 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:38 pm

I've been moving very slow because I wasn't feeling well earlier this month, but I'm feeling better now and want to get caught up with my German studies.
0 x

Return to “Language Challenges”