6WC 6 Week Challenge - Aug 2016

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - Aug 2016

Postby Mista » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:52 pm

Thanks for your suggestions - I'm now in. :D Following the bot separately is what made the registration go through in the end.
2 x

JordenMichelle

Postby JordenMichelle » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:58 pm

Hey there! I've signed up for Farsi (Persian) and hope to put in a couple hours a day and hopefully hold a decent conversation with my boyfriend...

I've got Anki, the Lonely Planet spoken Persian phrasebook, the podcasts Chai and Conversation and PersianPod101.com and will be spending a lot of my time on sentence shadowing for pronunciation and familiarity. Been studying for a couple years, but haven't made much progress, so I hope this will really kickstart my learning!
1 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:16 pm

Is there a way to change languages during the 6WC? I've been continuing on Spanish, but I'm feeling the need to switch back to German for a few months.
0 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:05 am

CarlyD wrote:Is there a way to change languages during the 6WC? I've been continuing on Spanish, but I'm feeling the need to switch back to German for a few months.

I think the only way to do it would be to actually quit the challenge and rejoin with a different target language. I find my own balance between Spanish and German might tip either way during a 6WC, and most people that study multiple languages probably experience low target language numbers compared to their overall numbers. If you intend to keep studying both languages during the 6WC, and can accept that your target language numbers are relatively low, you might not want to bother switching. If you really want to switch target languages, make sure you write down the numbers for what you've done so far because everything will disappear if you quit and you will have to retweet what you've done if you want it to be counted by the bot.
1 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:46 am

smallwhite wrote:Starts: Monday, 1st Aug 2016 00h00m01s your time
Ends: Sunday, 11th Sep 2016 23h59m59s your time

2 weeks out of 6 have passed. How's everyone doing?

smallwhite wrote:My goal for Dutch is to reach a TY/Hugo/Colloquial kind of textbook level, and I think this Aug 6WC would be enough to take me where I want to be.

I'm doing well. Very well. In fact, so well that I've fallen in love with Dutch! I like how it sounds, I like pronouncing it, I like how it looks in print, I like V2 (verb-2nd-place-in-sentence). I've always liked German word order (also V2 and also TMP) because I find it very neat and tidy, but it's so rigid that every sentence looks the same, making sentences look like application forms (Christian name, then surname, then age, then gender, then birthday...) or like database data (Peter, male, 30; Paul, male, 32; Mary, female, 31...) Whereas Dutch word order is German word order plus some flexibility, so sentences feel more lively and seem to convey emphasis better.

And like every girl madly in love, I'm starting to think about commitment. You know, things like marriage, babies, B2 and fluency. I want to get good at Dutch!
4 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Postby Stelle » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:01 am

I was solidly in third position for a while there, but then I was bumped to fourth, with little chance of clawing my way back up again. Now I'm switching back and forth between fourth and fifth place.

I love Italian! It's such a beautiful language, and my comprehension is growing by leaps and bounds.

But now it looks like we're going on a road trip. We're rather spontaneous people, we're on a year-long sabbatical from work, and we decided yesterday to push Guatemala back to October, and spend 6 weeks driving across the United States to California and back again to Toronto. We're going to leave on Thursday. I have no idea what the Six-Week challenge will look like from a car! I won't have any data on my phone, and we'll be camping, so other than reading books and writing in a journal, I'm not sure what else I'll be able to do.

But I do love an adventure!
5 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:56 am

So far so good for me. I'm the one who, after a back and forth with fourth and fifth, surpassed Stella for fourth place. I suspect that will be where I stay unless I decide to binge watch Welcome to Sweden and get to the sections where it's all in Swedish which could happen now that my summer classes are over.

Right now I'm completing a chapter in Rivstart every 2 to 3 days which puts me on course to complete chapter 18 by the end of the challenge. Given that my goal in terms of progress, was to complete chapter 15 I'm pretty pleased. But really my main goal is to see this challenge through and to study Swedish everyday for the six weeks.
2 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:48 am

smallwhite wrote:
smallwhite wrote:Starts: Monday, 1st Aug 2016 00h00m01s your time
Ends: Sunday, 11th Sep 2016 23h59m59s your time

2 weeks out of 6 have passed. How's everyone doing?

smallwhite wrote:My goal for Dutch is to reach a TY/Hugo/Colloquial kind of textbook level, and I think this Aug 6WC would be enough to take me where I want to be.

I'm doing well. Very well. In fact, so well that I've fallen in love with Dutch! I like how it sounds, I like pronouncing it, I like how it looks in print, I like V2 (verb-2nd-place-in-sentence). I've always liked German word order (also V2 and also TMP) because I find it very neat and tidy, but it's so rigid that every sentence looks the same, making sentences look like application forms (Christian name, then surname, then age, then gender, then birthday...) or like database data (Peter, male, 30; Paul, male, 32; Mary, female, 31...) Whereas Dutch word order is German word order plus some flexibility, so sentences feel more lively and seem to convey emphasis better.

And like every girl madly in love, I'm starting to think about commitment. You know, things like marriage, babies, B2 and fluency. I want to get good at Dutch!

Dammit... you're tempting me to have an affair with Dutch without French knowing... Actually as I speak i'm ripping the audio to Assimil - Le Néerlandais in the hopes that some day in the future we can all get along :) Yep I know the feeling with Dutch, initially it sounds off putting, learn a little and it sounds playful, and fun, learn a little more and you get hooked and want to defend it's front cover by saying once you get to know it, it's really quite nice indeed.
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:31 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:Dammit... you're tempting me to have an affair with Dutch without French knowing... Actually as I speak i'm ripping the audio to Assimil - Le Néerlandais in the hopes that some day in the future we can all get along :)

Then there's motivation for you to finish off French asap. My French knows I'm seeing Dutch. And Swedish, and Korean and Latin and all the little nymphs that don't even make it to my profile, but he's fine with it ;) Boy, are those nymphs seductive!
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:52 am

smallwhite wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:Dammit... you're tempting me to have an affair with Dutch without French knowing... Actually as I speak i'm ripping the audio to Assimil - Le Néerlandais in the hopes that some day in the future we can all get along :)

Then there's motivation for you to finish off French asap. My French knows I'm seeing Dutch. And Swedish, and Korean and Latin and all the little nymphs that don't even make it to my profile, but he's fine with it ;) Boy, are those nymphs seductive!

It's not a 6 week one, but nevertheless, challenge accepted! Or should I say 'geaccepteerd', sorry I mean 'accepté' ;)
2 x

Return to “Language Challenges”