6WC 6 Week Challenge - Aug 2016

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - Aug 2016

Postby aokoye » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:07 pm

I'm in with Swedish - we'll see if this was a good idea/if I can keep this up. The timing is very convenient as my summer classes end the second week of August and Fall classes start at the end of September. My tentative goal is to get through Chapter 15 of Rivstart A1+A2. I'm about to start the second chapter today. It would, in reality, be great if I could get through all 20 chapters but that's somewhat unrealistic for me.
1 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Postby Stelle » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:15 pm

I'm in for Italian! I'd like to bring my Italian to a more solid level before I leave for Central America, so that it won't be as hard to pick up again in the spring. I'm probably at an A2 level for receptive skills, and at a zero for productive skills. I've only spoken Italian once, for half an hour, and I've never written anything at all.
3 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Postby gsbod » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:02 pm

I've also signed up for Italian - I'll be working through the Italian Language and Culture: Beginner course on edX.

I also plan to log any time I spend with German courses, but not with native materials.
1 x

MCK74
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Studying: Spanish (intermediate) German (beginner) Latin (beginner)

Postby MCK74 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:53 pm

I signed up to study German because it's always been a language I've wanted to learn and have dabbled in many times in the past without getting very far. I'll be using Assimil, Speak and Write German and German for Reading.
1 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:11 pm

I've signed up for Russian. I've been working on Russian for about half a year now, a little bit more intensively since I signed up for the Super Challenge in May. So far I have been using Duolingo, Mondly and Russianpod, plus various reading materials and TV for the Super Challenge. What I really want to focus on for this challenge is WRITING - so far, I haven't written a single Russian letter by hand. I have some handwriting books and a texbook for beginners, both of which I have not started using yet. I also have an Easy Reader at A1 level, which I want to work with for intensive reading. I'd like to work with all these on a daily basis, at least 15-20 minutes for each. I also want to do RussianPod daily (it has been a bit irregular until now).

In addition to that, I want to keep up what I have been doing: Duolingo and Mondly daily, and some reading and listening/watching at least weekly for the Super Challenge.
1 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.

Postby Mista » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:51 am

The bot won't take my registration, using the tweet @6WCBot #register #russian (I've tried a few other variations too). What am I doing wrong?
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:33 pm

Mista wrote:The bot won't take my registration, using the tweet @6WCBot #register #russian (I've tried a few other variations too). What am I doing wrong?

That's weird. Do you get any response at all from the bot? What is your Twitter account? Maybe we will notice something if we see the actual tweets.
0 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:59 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
Mista wrote:The bot won't take my registration, using the tweet @6WCBot #register #russian (I've tried a few other variations too). What am I doing wrong?

That's weird. Do you get any response at all from the bot? What is your Twitter account? Maybe we will notice something if we see the actual tweets.

No, not getting any response at all. I'm @marianilsen11
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:22 pm

Mista wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:

No, not getting any response at all. I'm @marianilsen11

I couldn't see your tweets because your settings restrict who can see them, but maybe the problem is something to do with your settings. You could try checking them and maybe temporarily loosening them to see if that helps.
1 x

Snow
Orange Belt
Languages: Tagalog (native), English (advanced), Spanish (intermediate), Korean (upper beginner)

Postby Snow » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:32 pm

Try adding some text in your tweet, like "I want to" instead of sending a tweet with only hashtags. I also had a problem registering. I put only #reg #JA at first but it didn't work so I added something.
1 x

Return to “Language Challenges”