SC 2016-17 Discussion of Books/Films/audio

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Re: SC 2016-17 Discussion of Books/Films/audio

Postby arthaey » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:20 pm

zhuzilu wrote:
tomgosse wrote:I found a decent history channel on YouTube: L'Ombre D'un Doute. I watched this documentary on King Edouard VIII last night.

I saw the link a few days ago, and the channel looked amazing. I was back to check the videos deeply and maybe watch a couple, but the channel has been deleted... So sad, hope I could find them somewhere else...

I love documentaries! The channel may be gone, but if you just search for "L'Ombre d'un doute" videos, plenty show up. :)
3 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

EverythingDeclines
Languages: English (N), Japanese (Fluent), Russian (Beginner)

Postby EverythingDeclines » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:03 am

Does anyone know where I can find Russian tv serials or movies subtitled in english? Those always seem to really boost my listening comprehension but I've exhausted a lot of the ones on youtube already :?
0 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:15 pm

sfuqua wrote:One of my favorite series to read during my high school days was Travis McGee. This character has many similarities to Raymond Chandler in writing style, but the whole thing takes place in 1960s-1980s Florida, among sunburns, vacationing college student on Easter Break, and the other beach and boat scenery. This series has some of the evilest "bad guys" I've ever seen.
It is available in English, and the first book has a good, recent translation into Spanish. There are many other translations into Spanish over the years, but they are a little hard to find (at least for me).
I'm not sure what other languages they may have been translated into.
Wikipedia says there are french translations, so I'll add those to my reading list. Thanks. :-)
0 x

Return to “Language Challenges”