Super Challenge 2016-17 DISCUSSION THREAD

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Super Challenge 2016-17 DISCUSSION THREAD

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:41 am

WingSuet wrote:I just tried tweeting a book I read in German to the bot, but it just answers "You don't seem to be studying Tibetan. Register first using the #register tag!" :/ I tried the tags #German and #de but neither worked... And just like others, I also have a post missing from the list which I sent on May 11th, although the bot confirmed the tweet. Are we really not supposed to retweet them (once the current problem has been fixed)?

Try putting the number of pages after the tags for language and book. Sometimes the bots seem to want things in a particular order and that order has worked for me.

I'm also confused about why we shouldn't retweet the things that are missing. The bot may have answered, but it didn't add them to the list. How am I supposed to tweet more stuff in Japanese when the bot thinks I'm not even studying it?
3 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:43 am

Brun Ugle wrote:I'm also confused about why we shouldn't retweet the things that are missing. The bot may have answered, but it didn't add them to the list.

I rebelled and retweeted all my missing ones (that the bot had already replied to once) this week :lol: I wanted to see how close I was getting to my double challenge and I couldn't figure it out without them showing up in the list. I've kept a list in Excel of which tweets they were though, so if they end up being duplicated at some point in the future I should be able to tweet to undo them quite easily :)
2 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:24 pm

ever since Tibetan was added the tag #book is interpreted as #bo. use the #read or #reading tag

do we still have #book listed somewhere in the instructions? should be removed
4 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

WingSuet
White Belt
Languages: Swedish (Native), English (Fluent), German (C1+), Cantonese A1, Spanish A1

Postby WingSuet » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:33 pm

Serpent wrote:ever since Tibetan was added the tag #book is interpreted as #bo. use the #read or #reading tag

Thanks Serpent! That did the trick. I've always used the #book# tag, so I guess I'll have to get used to writing #read instead :P

And I might follow Radioclares example and keep a note of which tweets I retweet :)
2 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:42 pm

I just spent close to an hour searching for, copying and retweeting all the missing stuff. I'm so glad I didn't have one of my TV binges during the downtime.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:59 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I just spent close to an hour searching for, copying and retweeting all the missing stuff. I'm so glad I didn't have one of my TV binges during the downtime.

humm... I didn't bother with that, I just added up all the time for each language and tweeted once the total for #reading #watching for each language. (Lazy Fist)
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:10 pm

rdearman wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:I just spent close to an hour searching for, copying and retweeting all the missing stuff. I'm so glad I didn't have one of my TV binges during the downtime.

humm... I didn't bother with that, I just added up all the time for each language and tweeted once the total for #reading #watching for each language. (Lazy Fist)

I want to see all the titles on the list. It's still making me a little nuts that they aren't in order now. :(
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:28 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
rdearman wrote:

I want to see all the titles on the list. It's still making me a little nuts that they aren't in order now. :(

The perfect is the enemy of the good.
5 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Cebuano (basic spoken daily, best L2), Spanish (beginner, but can read), Esperanto (beginner and not maintained). Sometimes dabble with Dutch, Serbian, Slovak, Czech, German and Arabic.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5133&start=30

Postby Whodathunkitz » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:50 pm

Thoughts from a beginner's viewpoint on my attempt at a superchallenge...

On 21st June 2017 I started (a bit late!) From beginner level Spanish (A1?) Using readlang to track my progress..

Since then an average of 5000 words or 20 full pages (often music videos though) a day but very little film/video.

"You've completed 305 texts containing a total of 150083 words" or around 600 pages.

Verdict so far... Improvement at every 25k words especially 100k and approaching 150k.

Very little output but good Workrate, seeding my brain. I hope an upcoming course and possibly weekly Spanish learners meetups will join the dots.

I probably do around 2000 words per hour so approximately 75 hours. Plus maybe 7 months low intensity before that spread over 3 years.

Spanish is my second L2.

First L2 is cebuano and is mostly spoken. Fluent basic. That is, I can chat away, join in, joke around but normally just short speech or more complex one to one with effort.

Written on phone about to run out of batt....
1 x
2018 Cebuano SuperChallenge 1 May 2018-Dec 2019
: 150 / 600 SC days:
: 6 / 1250 Read (aim daily 2000 words):
: 299 / 9000 Video (aim daily 15 minutes):

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:57 am

The Super Challenge Bot has stopped processing tweets from some time yesterday. Please don't tweet until we get it resolved.
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Language Challenges”