Super Challenge 2016-17 DISCUSSION THREAD

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Super Challenge 2016-17 DISCUSSION THREAD

Postby Radioclare » Sat May 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Re Esperanto videos on Youtube, you just have to be careful because sometimes the level of the language isn't very high. It's mainly because there are some beginners out there whose level of enthusiasm isn't always matched by their grammatical accuracy :lol:

In the 'Kuru' film that you linked to, for example, there are definitely some mistakes. Obviously with someone like Lapenna or anything that has come from an official Esperanto association/congress you ought to be fine, but random stuff put up by individuals can be a bit hit-and-miss.

The Universal Language isn't a bad documentary, although I think you probably have to buy the DVD.

I made a few suggestions to help with Esperanto SCs in rdearman's log a while ago. 'Gerda Malaperis' is what I recommend most for those just starting out - there's a book and a film, both available for free online - and it deliberately starts simply and gets more complex as you go on.
0 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sat May 14, 2016 1:43 pm

Radioclare wrote:Re Esperanto videos on Youtube, you just have to be careful because sometimes the level of the language isn't very high. It's mainly because there are some beginners out there whose level of enthusiasm isn't always matched by their grammatical accuracy :lol:

In the 'Kuru' film that you linked to, for example, there are definitely some mistakes. Obviously with someone like Lapenna or anything that has come from an official Esperanto association/congress you ought to be fine, but random stuff put up by individuals can be a bit hit-and-miss.

The Universal Language isn't a bad documentary, although I think you probably have to buy the DVD.

I made a few suggestions to help with Esperanto SCs in rdearman's log a while ago. 'Gerda Malaperis' is what I recommend most for those just starting out - there's a book and a film, both available for free online - and it deliberately starts simply and gets more complex as you go on.

Oh yeah, the Kuru I haven't watched yet, so thanks for the warning. The Gerda Malaperas video isn't bad, although the accent is...well...trying. ;)

The Universal Language one you can download for 5 bucks I think (I bought it a year or so ago). It's really good...well done.

There's also the channel of Evildea, and his videos are good.

All of the above is so much better than Incubus. ;)
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Aozora
Orange Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17971

Postby Aozora » Sat May 14, 2016 3:32 pm

sfuqua wrote:Is anybody else having good effects from the challenge yet?

I'm doing the challenge with Japanese. After 10 films worth of listening, I feel... slightly more tuned in maybe? I am hearing words I've never heard or noticed before (words I learned or studied within the last 6 months).

With my reading (250 short pages), it's hard to tell. It feels easy to read, but that might be because the book I'm reading was written for 6th graders--maybe it would have felt easy a month or two ago as well. That's not to say that there aren't new words or phrases/collocations in this book.
0 x
Super Challenge Books: 14 / 100
Super Challenge Films: 63 / 100

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat May 14, 2016 5:06 pm

Yes, but I meant actual 90 minute long fictional films. Although one has William Shatner in.
2 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun May 15, 2016 7:07 pm

Aozora wrote:I'm getting this weird thing where when I tweet my book pages, the bot just tells me I'm not registered for Tibetan :/ I can't find anything wrong with the tweets ("I read 25 pages of "miyama" #book" and "read 25 pages #book") but only barebones tweets like "#read 25 pages" work. Is there something about the hashtag #book?
The tag #bo is for Tibetan so the bot is confused :( is this still happening?
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun May 15, 2016 7:44 pm

Serpent wrote:
Aozora wrote:I'm getting this weird thing where when I tweet my book pages, the bot just tells me I'm not registered for Tibetan :/ I can't find anything wrong with the tweets ("I read 25 pages of "miyama" #book" and "read 25 pages #book") but only barebones tweets like "#read 25 pages" work. Is there something about the hashtag #book?

Don't hashtag the word #book, hashtag the word #read
0 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Aozora
Orange Belt

Postby Aozora » Sun May 15, 2016 7:58 pm

Serpent wrote:

Yeah, I noticed the #bo tag... I've only been using the tag #read since then. I wonder why it confuses #bo and #book.

edit: @rdrearman Maybe the SC instructions should have the #book tag removed so people don't use it. For someone who doesn't use twitter (me) it can be confusing enough figuring out how to compose one's submissions...
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun May 15, 2016 9:23 pm

the question is whether we keep the #bo and#mo (movie/Moldovan) tags while nobody needs them :roll: we can certainly add Tibetan back if someone asks for it, but I highly doubt there's even enough SC material. And Moldovan is no longer considered a separate language even in Moldova.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Aozora
Orange Belt

Postby Aozora » Sun May 15, 2016 11:11 pm

Could a different tag be used for Tibetan that doesn't overlap with anything else?
0 x

zhuzilu
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), Galician (N)

English (C1-2), French (Upper-int), Chinese (Int),

Learning: Italian & Japanese

Stand-by: Korean & Portuguese

Lived in: Reims, France (4 months)
Durham, UK (1 year)
Taipei, Taiwan (6 months)
Firenze, Italy (1 month)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2618

Postby zhuzilu » Mon May 16, 2016 3:25 pm

Kerrie wrote: I am planning to do something similar with Portuguese, for example.

I will probably run through the Michel Thomas Portuguese course, flip through a grammar book, and then do a lot of listening-reading with Harry Potter. I already know the story, and I understand Spanish with no problem, so it will be an experiment of sorts (for me) to see what I can get from massive input. It has to be comprehensible input, though. If it's not, your time is really better spent on other materials.

With a language more distant from (my native English), I wouldn't attempt that kind of approach, though. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kerrie, you completely read my mind's future plans!! :lol: :lol: I already signed up for 3 challenges (1 full, 2 half), but I was planning around January 2017 (if my challenges were going well) of doing a Portuguese Super Challenge. I'm a native speaker of Spanish+Galician, so I can understand most of what it's said in Portuguese, although I have never studied it (I have done Duolingo for a week, but nothing serious). And I also wanted to try the Super Challenge as an experiment! Looking forward to see your progress ;)
2 x
Super Challenge 2022/2023
English
Books: 0 / 50
Films: 0 / 50

Chinese

Italian

Return to “Language Challenges”