Super Challenge 2016-17 DISCUSSION THREAD

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Super Challenge 2016-17 DISCUSSION THREAD

Postby Cavesa » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:49 am

It looks like I'll have to make yet another twitter account. I use it only for language challenges and always forget the password and email tied to it in between the challenges. :-D Once I forgot it in the middle of an SC.

I am looking forward to the challenge so much!
3 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:11 am

Cavesa wrote:It looks like I'll have to make yet another twitter account. I use it only for language challenges and always forget the password and email tied to it in between the challenges. :-D Once I forgot it in the middle of an SC.

I am looking forward to the challenge so much!

In case you use any email client such as thunderbird you can search through all the accounts at once to find the one that received a registration email from twitter. In case you have no chance to remember the password, you can still use the forgot password-function.
3 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

enrdbrow
Languages: English (N), French (A2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4934

Postby enrdbrow » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:49 am

So, with less than one month to go, there doesn't seem to be much discussion on Super Challenge 2018-19. Is it still set to start on 1st May? I'm just in the process of gathering together all my resources, and eager to start :D
Hoping to finally finish one this time and give my language learning the push it needs to get to the next level!
0 x
Language Log: Un goût du français
Super Challenge (French FULL)
: 0 / 5000 SC: Read
: 0 / 9000 SC: Video / Audio

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:00 am

enrdbrow wrote:So, with less than one month to go, there doesn't seem to be much discussion on Super Challenge 2018-19. Is it still set to start on 1st May? I'm just in the process of gathering together all my resources, and eager to start :D
Hoping to finally finish one this time and give my language learning the push it needs to get to the next level!

We're checking with Christina (the SC originator) if she is OK with us running the challenge again this year. If so, then we'll be putting up a new site with the bot, etc. Watch this space. :)
6 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:44 am

rdearman wrote:We're checking with Christina (the SC originator) if she is OK with us running the challenge again this year. If so, then we'll be putting up a new site with the bot, etc. Watch this space. :)

Since Cristina seems to have lost interest in the forum after the demise of HTLAL, and given the continued popularity of the Super Challenge, perhaps we should suggest to her that the challenge be permanently administered here with her rules. That's what's been happening anyway, defacto. If Cristina ever comes back, she can take up the reins again, or not. I know how difficult and tiring it is to deal with all the "does this count?" questions that will inevitably arise.

I also suggest that we gather all the rules and make them sticky, displayed prominently, at the beginning of the thread. Perhaps someone could write a short synopsis of how and why the SC came about, its purpose and the success that learners have had with doing it. If she wants to end it, there's nothing to stop us from re-starting it with a new name and pretty much the same rules. The SC has helped a lot of people discover "What do I do after I finish my course?" and has inspired a lot of people to go beyond courses. It should continue to be a part of the forum in some way.
15 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:18 pm

iguanamon wrote:
rdearman wrote:We're checking with Christina (the SC originator) if she is OK with us running the challenge again this year. If so, then we'll be putting up a new site with the bot, etc. Watch this space. :)

Since Cristina seems to have lost interest in the forum after the demise of HTLAL, and given the continued popularity of the Super Challenge, perhaps we should suggest to her that the challenge be permanently administered here with her rules. That's what's been happening anyway, defacto. If Cristina ever comes back, she can take up the reins again, or not. I know how difficult and tiring it is to deal with all the "does this count?" questions that will inevitably arise.

I also suggest that we gather all the rules and make them sticky, displayed prominently, at the beginning of the thread. Perhaps someone could write a short synopsis of how and why the SC came about, its purpose and the success that learners have had with doing it. If she wants to end it, there's nothing to stop us from re-starting it with a new name and pretty much the same rules. The SC has helped a lot of people discover "What do I do after I finish my course?" and has inspired a lot of people to go beyond courses. It should continue to be a part of the forum in some way.

True, but you should always ask before using other peoples stuff. :)

Someone did a really good info-graphic back on HTLAL. I might just revise that and put that on the rules as a sticky.
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:03 pm

Jeffers made that graphic.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Kerrie
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (passive)
Studying Italian, French, Portuguese, German
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2683

Postby Kerrie » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:39 pm

iguanamon wrote:Since Cristina seems to have lost interest in the forum after the demise of HTLAL...

I think it might be more fair to say her life has led her elsewhere, like a lot of us. I wouldn't take it personally. :lol: :lol:
2 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:44 pm

Kerrie wrote:I think it might be more fair to say her life has led her elsewhere, like a lot of us. I wouldn't take it personally.

I don't take it personally. Just stating the obvious. I do miss her around here but there is, indeed, life beyond the forum. I wish her happiness and success in wherever her life has led her.
2 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:00 am

And we have Cristina's blessing now! :D

She's not lost interest in the forum, and as far as I can tell this has nothing to do with the migration to language-learners.org. Quoting with her permission:

I still have too much on my plate to start any threads. I am happy with my boyfriend, so my private life is good, but the last two years have been a nightmare at work. We have been restructured and reorganized repeatedly and I am now on my third boss in 9 months. Plus my house is still not completely restored after the flood 18 months ago and my migraines have come back.

However, she's hoping to take charge again next time (in 2020). Yay! :) :) :)
Cristina wrote:Give everyone a big hug from me, and wish them luck and lots of success.
I join the wishes, of course!
18 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “Language Challenges”