Super Challenge 2016-17 DISCUSSION THREAD

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Super Challenge 2016-17 DISCUSSION THREAD

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon May 23, 2016 5:15 am

lingua wrote:
Serpent wrote:What problem did you have? Note that you should reply to your own tweet, not the bot's.

I replied to my own tweet but it didn't modify the totals as I expected. I'm not used to twitter as I never had an account (nor wanted one as I have no interest in social media) until I joined the SC. It's not really an issue now (unless I make a typo) as I have a set command that I use now.

Depending on what the mistake is, sometimes it's easier just to "undo" the tweet and tweet it again rather than trying to edit it.
0 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Mon May 23, 2016 7:18 am

I've read with interest the posts talking about doing the SC when you're starting at a lower level. I think it can be done, but I'm not expecting it to be easy.

I'm currently about A2 for Spanish. Using the guideline of a 1 hour tv show being 1/2 of a film (assuming 1 hour minus commercials) I'm planning to DVR a bunch of series where I already know they speak a bit slower or more clearly than on other shows. Plus I can replay it as needed for comprehension, so that's workable.

For books, I already have a ton of books in Spanish, although most are kids books of varying level. This evening, I actually sat down and counted words in a bunch of the books. Using the guideline of 250 words/page, I have a good number of books where reading the entire book will give me a page count of 3 to 5 pages. So be it.

I signed up for a Double Challenge for Spanish--200 books. Can I do it? Probably/possibly not. Will I end up in a better place than where I am now? Absolutely.

I also signed up for German, to start after I finished Spanish. Given that if I read every single page of every single book currently in my possession I'll only end with a "real" count of 98 books, I don't think I'll be finishing any time soon, but you never know.

Good luck to everyone.
0 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

Kerrie
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (passive)
Studying Italian, French, Portuguese, German
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2683

Postby Kerrie » Mon May 23, 2016 11:04 am

CarlyD wrote:I'm currently about A2 for Spanish. Using the guideline of a 1 hour tv show being 1/2 of a film (assuming 1 hour minus commercials) I'm planning to DVR a bunch of series where I already know they speak a bit slower or more clearly than on other shows. Plus I can replay it as needed for comprehension, so that's workable.

There are lots of sites online you can watch Spanish shows free, too. DramaFever has quite a few, and RTVE.es has a lot of stuff available, too. I'm sure there are other sites, but those are the two I use the most.

If you want to watch on RTVE, go to the A La Carta section. You can turn on subtitles in Spanish. Also - if you right-click on the transcript on the side of the video, you can translate it to English. (Sometimes when I do that, I will get Spanish and English subs, and they go by too fast. If you pause it before you right-click and translate, you will get the Spanish subtitles, but the transcript on the right side will be in English. It's usually a pretty bad translation - I imagine it's just Google Translate - but it can help you if you miss something, especially at the earlier levels.)
0 x

alexkelbo
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1), Spanish, Mandarin

Postby alexkelbo » Mon May 23, 2016 11:18 am

Brun Ugle wrote:Depending on what the mistake is, sometimes it's easier just to "undo" the tweet and tweet it again rather than trying to edit it.
How do you undo a tweet? I just had to edit a tweet multiple times because the bot ignored the duration for a movie I watched. It's now correct but in the future undoing may be easier.
0 x

Kerrie
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (passive)
Studying Italian, French, Portuguese, German
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2683

Postby Kerrie » Mon May 23, 2016 11:22 am

alexraasch wrote: I just had to edit a tweet multiple times because the bot ignored the duration for a movie I watched. It's now correct but in the future undoing may be easier.

I've had that problem, too. It seems to work better when I put the time/page count before the title.
1 x

alexkelbo
Orange Belt

Postby alexkelbo » Mon May 23, 2016 11:26 am

Thanks, I'll try that next time.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon May 23, 2016 11:38 am

alexraasch wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:Depending on what the mistake is, sometimes it's easier just to "undo" the tweet and tweet it again rather than trying to edit it.
How do you undo a tweet? I just had to edit a tweet multiple times because the bot ignored the duration for a movie I watched. It's now correct but in the future undoing may be easier.

Use the tag #undo or #delete. I haven't yet tried it in the Super Challenge, but I've used it in the 6 Week Challenge. It's listed among the tags you can use.
1 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Tue May 24, 2016 10:35 am

deleted
Last edited by Arnaud on Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Tue May 24, 2016 11:24 am

Arnaud wrote:What stands the "blue star" for? Image

I think you get blue stars for every 25 books you read or every 25 films you watch. But last time there was a limit on how many you could have, so if you watch lots of films but don't read any books, eventually you will stop getting extra ones.
1 x

alexkelbo
Orange Belt

Postby alexkelbo » Tue May 24, 2016 12:11 pm

Kerrie wrote:I've had that problem, too. It seems to work better when I put the time/page count before the title.

Tried it this morning, works like a charm.
0 x

Return to “Language Challenges”