Super Challenge 2016-17 DISCUSSION THREAD

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Luso
Yellow Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), English (C2), French (C2), Italian (C2), Spanish (advanced), German (used to be advanced), Arabic (beginner to intermediate), Sanskrit (studying)

Re: Super Challenge 2016-17 DISCUSSION THREAD

Postby Luso » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:51 pm

rdearman wrote:I put up a temporary site for you to look at your statistics. Should do everything you need until the permanent site gets re-established.

http://ec2-34-210-56-222.us-west-2.comp ... /index.php

Thanks for the temporary site. It seems to be missing some tweets from May. To be precise, I'm talking about the repetitions for the bot to get the missed ones from late April, and the following days.

At the beginning, I thought it was just a "freeze frame" from before, but then I noticed it had tweets from June and July (from other users).

Just letting you know.
0 x
SC English books: 7790 / 15000
SC English films: 25814 / 27000

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:05 pm

Luso wrote:
rdearman wrote:I put up a temporary site for you to look at your statistics. Should do everything you need until the permanent site gets re-established.

http://ec2-34-210-56-222.us-west-2.comp ... /index.php

Thanks for the temporary site. It seems to be missing some tweets from May. To be precise, I'm talking about the repetitions for the bot to get the missed ones from late April, and the following days.

At the beginning, I thought it was just a "freeze frame" from before, but then I noticed it had tweets from June and July (from other users).

Just letting you know.

Yes, I did an announcement awhile back that the bot missed some days not long after the hacking and you'd have to send them again.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:37 pm

Yeah Luso did refer to them. It does seems like some tweets that the twitter bot did accept have now disappeared. On my page there doesn't seem to be any tweets between April 20 and May 27.

Also, the "special characters" (diacritics and cyrillics) are only displayed correctly for the newer tweets. Something might need to be fixed/converted :|
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:10 pm

Serpent wrote:Yeah Luso did refer to them. It does seems like some tweets that the twitter bot did accept have now disappeared. On my page there doesn't seem to be any tweets between April 20 and May 27.

Yes, those are the dates it wasn't taking tweets correctly.
Serpent wrote:Also, the "special characters" (diacritics and cyrillics) are only displayed correctly for the newer tweets. Something might need to be fixed/converted :|

This was a problem moving from the old MySQL system on the the latest version. There were changes to the way UTF was stored.
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:20 pm

rdearman wrote:
Serpent wrote:Yeah Luso did refer to them. It does seems like some tweets that the twitter bot did accept have now disappeared. On my page there doesn't seem to be any tweets between April 20 and May 27.

Actually, it was the dates from 21 April to 3 May that the bot was down because of the hack. After that, it was supposedly taking tweets and it did respond, but some of the things it responded to don't seem to be on the list anyway. In my own case, I registered for Japanese and tweeted a movie and the bot responded that I had watched 86 minutes in Japanese, but now it says I'm not registered for Japanese. So, somewhere, something went wrong even after the bot was supposedly up and working again.
1 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian

Postby Serpent » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:24 pm

rdearman wrote:This was a problem moving from the old MySQL system on the the latest version. There were changes to the way UTF was stored.
But can it be fixed? :shock: If not, I sure hope you have a backup from which I can fix those ????????'s by editing :o Or maybe we can keep the old format until the challenge ends. It would be definitely more convenient to fix only the most recent tweets :roll:
0 x
Corrections welcome

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:43 pm

I moved all the discussion about the bot here from the registration thread.
0 x
Corrections welcome

Luso
Yellow Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), English (C2), French (C2), Italian (C2), Spanish (advanced), German (used to be advanced), Arabic (beginner to intermediate), Sanskrit (studying)

Postby Luso » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:28 pm

rdearman wrote:

Ok, I hadn't realised those tweets woud have to be sent a third time. I did quite a bunch of retweets May 7th, to cover the period of late April (as instructed back then).

To be honest, I've been tracking this subject since it started, and I don't remember this second period of bot failure. In the beginning of May, we were made aware of a certain number of tweets that were missed by the bot (late April, mainly). I carefully listed mine and retweeted them on May 7th. As far as I can remember, they were acknowleged by the bot back then. Apparently, those and the following ones (until May 27th) weren't. Was this evident to everyone concerned but me?

Two last comments:
1. This doesn't invalidate my appreciation regarding your efforts in dealing with this whole episode, which I think are laudable.
2. Also notice that I'm restraining the number of my posts regarding this subject. I don't want to add any confusion, and I know how easily this can happen.

Edit: As per Serpent's post (next one), I'll be waiting for further instructions. Thanks, Serpent.
Last edited by Luso on Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
SC English books: 7790 / 15000
SC English films: 25814 / 27000

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:51 pm

As far as I can tell, rdearman hasn't confirmed that the tweets have to be sent once again. You were the first to notice (point out) the issue so now it has to be investigated I suppose.
1 x
Corrections welcome

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:28 am

They do have to be sent again. The way the bot is written it cannot go back in time to find tweets that it missed. It also doesn't seem to recognize "retweets" so you literally have to resend it.
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Language Challenges”