Super Challenge and the Bot 2016/17

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Super Challenge and the Bot 2016/17

Postby rdearman » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:30 am

Hello Everyone,

Apologies if I'm repeating information you already know, but I've had some questions about the Super Challenge and thought I'd try to answer as many questions as I can, and hopefully not generate new ones.

Firstly if you're interested in the Super Challenge you only need to announce your intention to participate either here on this forum or on the old HTLAL forum. Since Cristina hasn't started an official entry thread on this forum or the other yet, you can just post on the discussion thread here.

You can announce your intention to start (or not) in the discussion thread and track your progress with pen/paper, or spreadsheet or whatever. However if you have twitter you can sign up with the 2016/17 SC Bot, and track your progress with tweets to the bot. This is how most people do it, but it isn't a requirement for participation. The bot is hosted by this forum at this address: http://sc2016-17.language-learners.org/

The instructions for using the bot are also located on the main page of the bot, e.g. http://sc2016-17.language-learners.org/.

The rules are basically read 100 books and watch 100 films in your target language. What qualifies as a film or book has been well defined. A book is 50 pages of between 250-400 words per page. L2-only textbooks count also. Books are fairly straight forward. Character languages, Chinese, Japanese, also run by word count, so 300-400 characters equal 1 page. A film is 90 minutes long, but "films" aren't as straightforward, and Serpent posted a good graphic showing what does and doesn't count. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=769&start=20#p18315

The challenge runs for 20 months. It starts at midnight 1st of May 2016 in your timezone, and ends at midnight 31st of December 2017 in your timezone.

As far as the bot is concerned you can sign up for any number of languages you want, and now language families also. Please note the language families don't currently "roll up" from member languages. So for example if I tweet that I read 50 pages in French, it doesn't automatically increment the Romance family if I've signed up for both. Therefore I highly recommend if you are going to sign up for a language family, then you don't sign up for the members of that family.

Language families are a new feature implemented by a half-assed programmer hacker (me), so if you encounter problems please post them in the technical support area of this forum and I'll try to fix them. You can put feature requests in the technical support forum also (but I wouldn't hold my breathe).

Hopefully that answers all your questions and didn't raise new ones. One final note is that this challenge is Cristina's (Solfrid Cristin) and she it the final arbitrator of the rules of the challenge. The bot is run by me, so if you have bot problems, or requests, please use the technical support area, but I can't change or abitrate the rules.

Any questions about this announcement please ask in the discussion thread.
8 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Language Challenges”