6WC 6 Week Challenge - May 2016

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - May 2016

Postby Serpent » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:41 pm

Maybe we should approach Sprachprofi about it? :)
The idea with the requirement was to do a language where you can't just watch movies and read books. Of course it's imperfect, as B1 and low intermediate are not even the same thing, and I could sign up for example with Bulgarian from scratch and use native materials mostly.
Maybe for a fair comparison it would be better to count only formal/intensive studying, but allow it in any language. But then what about for example LR? parallel texts? GLOSS and lyricstraining?
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:10 pm

Firstly sorry, I know the challenge was created by Sprachprofi, I just thought Smallwhite was the organisator now, how embarassing, sorry!

Serpent wrote:Maybe we should approach Sprachprofi about it? :)
The idea with the requirement was to do a language where you can't just watch movies and read books. Of course it's imperfect, as B1 and low intermediate are not even the same thing, and I could sign up for example with Bulgarian from scratch and use native materials mostly.
Maybe for a fair comparison it would be better to count only formal/intensive studying, but allow it in any language. But then what about for example LR? parallel texts? GLOSS and lyricstraining?

Yes, perhaps level requirement removal would be the best in combination with extensive input restriction. So, intensive input, lyricstraining, and such things would be safely within the 6wc zone.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:47 pm

Personally, I like it as is. I think the limit is B1 for the target language, right? I always have a language (or actually most of my languages) at that level or below. I suppose I would adapt to whatever is decided on though.
0 x

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:07 pm

It actually would be nice to have a similar challenge aimed at B2+ folks. Not now, not this challenge - but at some point. I know that once I reach a comfortable reading level I tend to ease off on the 'active' studying with coursebooks, and sometimes a short challenge provides enough motivation to hit the books we always think about hitting.
5 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:04 pm

smallwhite wrote:What language are you participating with? Why are you learning it? Tell us!

The Challenge is starting in an hour but I still can't decide on a target language. I really ought to be studying and finishing off Italian to get it out of the way (started 5 years ago...), but my heart is with Swedish at the moment... :roll:
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:36 pm

You can cut the tension with a (plastic) knife.
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Sun May 01, 2016 12:05 am

reineke wrote:You can cut the tension with a (plastic) knife.

I cut a meat pie instead, and with the energy boost, finally decided on Swedish. Maybe I can finish off Swedish instead. 6WC, please grant me the power!
0 x

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Postby Stelle » Sun May 01, 2016 1:01 am

I'll join for Italian! I'm going to Italy in 10 weeks, so I have to make some serious progress between now and then. I can't really estimate my level, since my Spanish makes me feel like a false beginner, but I would definitely fail an A1 test if I had to take it tomorrow. I've yet to construct a sentence of my own or to speak out loud, except for repeating after Assimil lessons.

I've been studying casually for 8 weeks, at the rate of about 20-30 mins per day. I'm currently about 1/3 of the way through the Duolingo tree and just finished lesson 25 in Assimil.

I'd like to really give my Italian a push over the next few weeks. The timing is perfect!
1 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Wed May 04, 2016 11:36 pm

For probably the first time ever, I'm ranking 1st in Target Language! :lol:

It's because I spent ~6 hours yesterday migrating data to Anki, plus ~1 hour reviewing every card I imported. Can't stand Memrise anymore. Bad management leads to bad staff leads to bad app. And only getting worse each day.
2 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Thu May 05, 2016 9:37 pm

I'm trying really hard to like and use Anki, but just not feeling the love. I have no issue with Memrise, though and am working on 6 different courses there.
2 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1131 / 15000

Return to “Language Challenges”