SRS Challenge Discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Re: SRS Challenge Discussion

Postby Adrianslont » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:23 am

Just checking in to say that I'm still hanging in there with this challenge. I'm doing 17 new cards a day which will get me there. Before the challenge I was only doing 12 new cards a day and I must admit that felt more comfortable. Seventeen seems
to eat into my time to do other things. What, you may say! That's only five more measly cards than you were already doing. However, I offer two reasons why I'm feeling the pinch. Firstly, my cards are not single words, they are either cloze deletion sentences, subs2srs or other audio sentences. Secondly, I already had 4000+ cards on the go and I have to keep up those reviews. It adds up and I wish I had a little more time for reading.

All that said, I feel I have made progress these last ten weeks as I haul myself through the long intermediate stage of Indonesian. A couple of days ago I was feeling euphoric because my Tintin book was so easy and I understood a fifteen minute segment on a talk show so easily. Low bars perhaps, but it's progress.
3 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:32 am

I did another purge of cards and I've started agressively modifying leech cards.
If I keep just deleting cards I'll never get to 10000. Illness kept.me.away from my deck for a few days, but I caught up with my reviews.
1 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

Hanuman
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Thai
Studying: Japanese (beg.) Ancient Greek (beg.) Latin (beg.)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1266

Postby Hanuman » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:18 am

Also hanging in there. Spent a lot of the last few weeks creating new cards and have a handy amount in my Thai sentences deck now to last me a fair while. Should be able to get back on track the next month with activating new cards and getting my total up.

Not getting nearly as many Japanese cards activated as I'd like though unfortunately.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:38 am

Still here. My biggest problem is adding the cards - that is, I started studying Cantonese with FSI in late april and also chose to add everything to Anki. But I got too far before starting with Anki so there was a lot of catching up.To this day, I still haven't added cards from all the lessons I've done (8 in total). A few kind souls have typed out dialogues and wordlists, but the really useful sentences come from the drills, and those take time to add. I have to copy/paste a lot. At the moment I have ~1500 cards (maybe 100 mature ones?). Immediate plan - add the rest of the material from lesson 7 and 8 (the last lesson I actually studied a few months ago), and then do the lesson 9 and add the cards, then lesson 10 + cards and so on.
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby sfuqua » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:43 am

I've been a big deleter of cards that I don't like, or that are just wrong (my cards were created automatically). I'm trying to fix bad cards more now and I'm still barely on track for 10000.

In any case, I'm finding that what I'm learning from anki transfers nicely to other things.
2 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

Basho[1689]

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:35 pm

Well, I figure I'm about halfway through the challenge now at this point. The bunch of sub2srs cards I've been doing in Finnish as well as the Mandarin cards I've already been doing has put me in at 3331 cards, but if I add in the other decks which I started at the same time as the Mandarin then I'm done 6408 cards so I'm over the top and on the way down. But I'm planning to only count decks in Mandarin or Finnish so still need to carry on doing at least 15 new cards per day to hit the 10k mark with those decks.

I'm finding them very useful, flipping through the Mandarin cards in the beginning not really trying to memorise but to just note things and identify patterns. Now however I listen to the audio to see if I can figure out the gist of it, which I can for the most part. So there is a good effect which can be gained just by flipping through the cards.

Good luck all.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby sfuqua » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:47 pm

I'm behind at 3911 total cards in all decks. I keep deleting cards, changing my mind and removing a deck and putting it in an archive, then putting it back again and in general not doing SRS optimally. Recently I just stuck to my deck and done it more correctly.
This year at work has been brutal; I hope things will lighten up after the first of the year. In any case anki seems to be the only thing that I can keep up with the crazy amount of pressure I'm under.
I've turned on anki's automatic tts reading of cards, and I like the effect it has. Adding sound makes all the difference. I think google tts messes up liasons sometimes or maybe I don't quite understand it yet. For an active direction card, I count the card as a fail if I mispronounce it. The Spanish cards are easy, but I've noticed a few simple words where I'm not getting the stress right, even in Spanish.
1 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

Basho[1689]

Adrianslont
Blue Belt

Postby Adrianslont » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:16 pm

The bad news is ... I have fallen behind. Two months or so ago I decided that seventeen new cards a day was too much along with the cards I already had and reduced the number to twelve. Then I went on holidays starting nearly seven weeks ago and I haven't been keeping up my reviews and new cards every day. Still, I have been doing SOME new cards.

The good news is that I have been travelling in Indonesia off and on for four of my seven weeks away and getting lots of actual practice in the language. And had twenty hours private tuition at one point.

When I get back home and back to work we will see how I go. I intend to make a bunch of subs2srs cards with DVDs I've been buying. But then again, I've also been buying books and I might get caught up in reading them and not doing anki!
1 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt

Postby Adrianslont » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:46 am

Well, I've just updated the progress bars in my sig for the first time in months and now it's clear that I'm falling behind. I'm not hugely worried, though. I'm not really so interested in doing 10k cards in the timeframe, I'm more interested in seeing how good my Indonesian is at 10k cards when I get there.

Some of my cards I'm not enjoying so much but I can't delete them because I'll lose track of my 10k! emk would be appalled! Still, I am now making subs2srs cards from Thomas and Friends cartoons I bought in Indonesia and I love them. I can follow the cartoons quite well usually but there's always something to be gained from working intensively with them using anki. The learning ROI on Thomas is still enough for me. And I love the artwork and the humour in the better episodes and the voice acting in the Indonesian dub is generally great.

In case anyone is worried, I am balancing my Thomas cards with watching the Kick Andy talk show - which I love because Andy speaks slowly and has some great guests. And reading Tintin and watching Culture Talk video interviews with everyday Indonesians. And reviewing old anki cards, of course. Although I said that some cards bug me, there are also many old cards that I love to remeet after a long interval - I hear these cards and marvel at how much more clearly I hear them and how much more deeply I understand them, now. It's quite affirming and I'm sure contributes to my retention of vocabulary and language in general.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:41 pm

Adrianslont wrote:Well, I've just updated the progress bars in my sig for the first time in months and now it's clear that I'm falling behind. I'm not hugely worried, though. I'm not really so interested in doing 10k cards in the timeframe, I'm more interested in seeing how good my Indonesian is at 10k cards when I get there.

Some of my cards I'm not enjoying so much but I can't delete them because I'll lose track of my 10k! emk would be appalled! Still, I am now making subs2srs cards from Thomas and Friends cartoons I bought in Indonesia and I love them. I can follow the cartoons quite well usually but there's always something to be gained from working intensively with them using anki. The learning ROI on Thomas is still enough for me. And I love the artwork and the humour in the better episodes and the voice acting in the Indonesian dub is generally great.

In case anyone is worried, I am balancing my Thomas cards with watching the Kick Andy talk show - which I love because Andy speaks slowly and has some great guests. And reading Tintin and watching Culture Talk video interviews with everyday Indonesians. And reviewing old anki cards, of course. Although I said that some cards bug me, there are also many old cards that I love to remeet after a long interval - I hear these cards and marvel at how much more clearly I hear them and how much more deeply I understand them, now. It's quite affirming and I'm sure contributes to my retention of vocabulary and language in general.

Sorry long quote for a small point. Just suspend the cards rather than delete. I think they still count since you've reviewed them at least once. But i don't make the rules here.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Language Challenges”