SRS challenge rules and registration.

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: SRS challenge rules and registration.

Postby Cavesa » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:30 pm

Sign me up!

Thanks a lot, Sfuqua, for putting this together!

I agree that rules with some wiggle room are very practical for this kind of challenge. After all, our main competitors are our lazy selves. So, I don't find anything shocking about some people having Anki set for a higher or lower amount of repetitions or about Memrise and Anki using different repetition timeline.

I suppose my version fits the bill, otherwise correct me, please:
Memrise, decks with no longterm memory cards, some of them have 1-5 words planted but probably never reviewed. Decks I had been wanting to do for a long time and didn't :-) The goal is to have all the cards in long term memory and none due at the end of the Challenge, that sounds doable.
Those new decks are in three languages. Approximately 5000 German cards, 1000 Swedish and 4000 Italian. Should I ignore some words or the precise count be lower, I'll add another deck.
1 x

Ezy Ryder
Orange Belt
Languages: PL (rusting Native)
EN (Advanced)
中文 (Lower Intermediate)
日本語 (Beginner, not studying)
台語 (Dabbling)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1164

Postby Ezy Ryder » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:59 pm

I think I'll join as well. After all, I don't think there ever was a problem I haven't tried solving with SRS XD
I'll be using Anki, probably with these four decks:
1. Mandarin audio sentences (only receptive).
2. Taiwanese audio sentences (going both ways).
3. 草書 handwriting (only productive).
4. Mandarin vocab handwriting (only productive).
I'll be posting the active card numbers on my log, tomorrow.
1 x
阿波
: 1250 / 1000010k SRS Challenge :
: 3750 / 48084,808 漢字 (handwriting) :

Lorren
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (maintenance/improving), German (intermediate), Russian (upper beginner), Portuguese (N). Dabbling in French, Danish, Irish. Italian (dormant)

Postby Lorren » Sun May 01, 2016 2:09 am

I'll join.

I'll be counting my combined cards for Spanish, German, and Russian. If, for some reason, I start another language deck between now and then, I'll count that as well.

I do have a head start on these... Russian and German are pretty small; my Spanish deck has been around for a couple of years now, so it's built up some words already.

I do know that during the Super Challenge, I sometimes neglect my Anki deck(s). This will be an incentive not to do so. Especially since this is my first time doing the Super Challenge with German and Russian, and I can guarantee you that I'm going to be overwhelmed with new vocabulary for the next several months.

Thanks for doing this!
1 x
SC Russian Reading: 0 / 100 Movies: 2 / 100 100 of each
SC Spanish Reading: 4 / 50 Movies: 1 / 50 50 of each
SC German Reading: 1 / 50 Movies: 0 / 50 50 of each
10000 SRS Cards Challenge: 3322 / 10000

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun May 01, 2016 4:47 pm

And if someone missed my post in of all the SRS challenge threads, I'm also in (Cantonese) but won't start properly until after the Polyglot Gathering. (I haven't yet decided on the optimal design of the deck, nor what I'm going to base it on - I know there is one downloadable deck from Anki with over 40000 sentences.)
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Hanaji
Languages: Japanese (B1)
Chinese (A1~2)
Korean (A1)

Postby Hanaji » Mon May 02, 2016 4:51 am

I'll join! For Japanese though I usually use Memrise.
1 x

Komma
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N); learning actively: Japanese (beginner); learning passively: English (probably C1/2), French (false beginner); on halt: Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... =15&t=1067

Postby Komma » Mon May 02, 2016 2:57 pm

I know it barely started, but I just don't feel like setting up anki at the moment and I think this huge amount of cards just intimidates me. I am going to withdraw my registration. :(
Maybe next time (I'm sure there will be a next time :D) if I'll be using anki more frequently then. Starting from scratch and typing in everything is quite annoying, but I feel like it's 'better' to use vocab important to me at the moment and don't just download some from somewhere with all those unknown and probably at the moment irrelevant words.
And there are so many challenges at the moment for me.. Sorry.

I wish you all the best and will follow along your progress :mrgreen:
1 x
: 38 / 113 Assimil French - passive
: 5 / 40 Language Transfer
: 20 / 81 Le petit Prince
: 0 / 52 Grammaire progressive - intermédiaire
: 0 / 28 Vocabulaire progressf - débutant

Cloud
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Studying: Korean
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5358

Postby Cloud » Thu May 05, 2016 12:43 am

This is just what I need! With Anki I often practice daily for a month or two then get bored and end up with a huge backlog of cards to clear before starting again. I think having this goal with be helpful in motivating me to keep up my streak. Right now I have ~2.5k Korean cards done, so I guess my goal is to have 12.5k+ by the end of the challenge. I just started an Italian deck a couple of days ago too, 60k+ cards(!), but the sentences are all very short, so hopefully I won't have much trouble keeping up with them.
1 x
: 4484 / 15000 : ko anki
: 627 / 10000 : ko read

집은 책으로, 정원은 꽃으로 가득 채워라.

Lianne
Green Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N)
Actively studying: French (low int)
Dabbling in: Italian (beginner), ASL (beginner), Ojibwe (beginner), Swahili (beginner)
Wish list: Swedish, Esperanto, Klingon, Brazilian Portuguese
Has also dabbled in: German, Spanish, toki pona
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=12275

Postby Lianne » Sat May 07, 2016 9:05 pm

I've decided to join this challenge, too. I'm doing the Super Challenge in French, and this one alongside that one.

I've used Anki (and Memrise) on and off over the years, with mixed feelings about it. I've started and abandoned a few French decks, so I've started a fresh one for this challenge. So far I've entered all the new words (and a few phrases) that I came across in my first few pages of reading for the Super Challenge. My plan is to continue doing that, possibly also adding words/phrases/sentences from other sources like Duolingo, grammar books, etc. I may also try out a pre-made deck and see how that goes, since I find the work of creating cards somewhat tedious.

Here's to lots and lots of vocabulary! :D
2 x
: 3 / 100 French SC (Books)
: 7 / 100 French SC (Films)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Books)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Films)

Pronouns: they/them

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1), Spanish (B1), Mandarin (A2), Polish (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17648

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Wed May 11, 2016 7:47 pm

I'd like to join too! (Because I'm not doing enough challenges right now... *hysterical laughter*)

But yeah more seriously, I'd like to join for Japanese and German at least - German because I'm at that advanced stage now where I really need to learn vocabulary but I can get by with what I have, so I don't tend to bother; and Japanese because I'm having trouble getting the words to stick and keep getting them mixed up with Mandarin.

I'd also like to see how this goes. I use Memrise relatively often but I'm very up and down about my own Anki decks, so hopefully this will change that! :D Very glad to see this challenge pop up!
1 x
pronouns: she/her

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Wed May 11, 2016 9:33 pm

Inspired by Cavesa, I signed up for Memrise. You guys all have decks etc. with Anki. I have a vocabulary course called "First 5000 Words of Spanish". With Spanish there are words I know when I see them in Spanish but may not necessarily be able to recall and translate from English. There are also heaps of cognates that look easy in a list but that might not be so easy to recall in isolation. Am I supposed to keep track of the words I knew from the first try and subtract them later or is the goal to commit 10,000 words to "long term memory"? It's very unlikely I'll go far with this either way :D

5 / 4596 words learned 5 in long term memory (LTM)
2 x

Return to “Language Challenges”