SRS challenge rules and registration.

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Re: SRS challenge rules and registration.

Postby sfuqua » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:43 pm

I plan to add 10000 new cards. I don't really care if somebody wants to include cards they already have I in their deck, but I'm going to hold myself to a higher standard.
1 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

zhuzilu
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), Galician (N)

English (C1-2), French (Upper-int), Chinese (Int),

Learning: Italian & Japanese

Stand-by: Korean & Portuguese

Lived in: Reims, France (4 months)
Durham, UK (1 year)
Taipei, Taiwan (6 months)
Firenze, Italy (1 month)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2618

Postby zhuzilu » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:17 pm

I want to sign up too, using anki! Thanks for creating the challenge! I'm looking forward to see how we'll be after 10k flashcards! :D
0 x
Super Challenge 2022/2023
English
Books: 0 / 50
Films: 0 / 50

Chinese

Italian

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:44 pm

Okay, I'm new to this whole challenge thing and I noticed that the Super Challenge has clear rules. Sfuqua, as initiator of this SRS challenge, seems a bit more open to personal interpretation and I'm happy to go along with that.

I currently have about 4000 mature and learning cards in Indonesian and about 500 in French. I'm going to shoot for 10000 mature cards in total for Indonesian by the end of the challenge period. However many cards I have in French will be incidental.

I know I won't be doing 10000 new cards like others in the challenge but I still see it as a good challenge for me. It also tests the idea Steve raised of "learning" a language in 10000 cards.

It's taken me 485 days to do my approx. 4000 cards so a total of 10000 cards is probably more realistic for me, too.

Now I have to figure out how you get a progress bar!

Thanks for the challenge, Steve.
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:23 am

sfuqua wrote:I plan to add 10000 new cards. I don't really care if somebody wants to include cards they already have I in their deck, but I'm going to hold myself to a higher standard.

Okay so just to clarify.

I'm not using Anki, and I want to know if I can use another program (Flashcards Deluxe)... I know I can use it, but what I want to know if it's easily workable.

My current deck has 1718 cards. If I enter this challenge I wouldn't want to start another deck. So basically I will have succeeded in this challenge IF I finish with a total of 11718 cards in that deck, right? Does this mean the challenge is to actually create new cards? My deck doesn't work the same- for every new card I create I review them 3 times before they become active, so if all 10,000 newly added cards become active I will then have 11718 active cards. Would this mean I will have suceeded in this challenge and achieved the objective? Or am I, well, wrong in my observations? I might appear incredibly stupid but I'd just rather ask the questions on my mind that read the entire thread and not necessarily find the answers within.
0 x

Rotasu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N),
日本語 (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1354

Postby Rotasu » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:34 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:
sfuqua wrote:I plan to add 10000 new cards. I don't really care if somebody wants to include cards they already have I in their deck, but I'm going to hold myself to a higher standard.

Okay so just to clarify.

I'm not using Anki, and I want to know if I can use another program (Flashcards Deluxe)... I know I can use it, but what I want to know if it's easily workable.

My current deck has 1718 cards. If I enter this challenge I wouldn't want to start another deck. So basically I will have succeeded in this challenge IF I finish with a total of 11718 cards in that deck, right? Does this mean the challenge is to actually create new cards? My deck doesn't work the same- for every new card I create I review them 3 times before they become active, so if all 10,000 newly added cards become active I will then have 11718 active cards. Would this mean I will have suceeded in this challenge and achieved the objective? Or am I, well, wrong in my observations? I might appear incredibly stupid but I'd just rather ask the questions on my mind that read the entire thread and not necessarily find the answers within.

This question is literally asked on page 2 with smallwhite, Adrianslont and I wondering the same thing and you quoted sfuqua answering that very question, which is almost the same to this...

I dont understand why people are having such a hard time with this challenge. Literally all you have to do is have 10k cards active and not due on the due date. That is it. sfuqua doesnt care if they new or old. You need to review one card before they become active? Ok. Do you need 11718 in order to succeed? Up to you. You want to win the challenge? Have 10k cards active and not due on the due date.
2 x
Gone

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby sfuqua » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:12 am

I'm going to do 10000 new cards (or fail in the attempt), although I may include some cards from decks I made years ago.

I think getting 10000 cards active is enough challenge for anybody even if you get a head start.
1 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

Basho[1689]

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:27 am

Rotasu wrote:I dont understand why people are having such a hard time with this challenge.

I think because of the (now superceded) discussion in the original thread:

sfuqua wrote:That way as long as you get through 10000 new cards, and you keep up the reviews, it gives you maximum flexibility about how you get there.

(The current version does not require new cards or keeping up with reviews; one just needs 1 to 2 reps per card over the 20 months to win).
sfuqua wrote:I suppose the challenge should be to get 10000 cards started in anki, and continue reviewing them while you build up the number of cards.

(The current version does not necessarily involve getting cards started or building up number, and as above, one doesn't need to continue reviewing).

Plus how sfuqua said my interpretation involving 10k new cards was exact.

I think I understand the latest version now. I already have 11,605 cards started, so the Challenge for me is just to review 10,000 of them once during the 20 months. Unfortunately, that contradicts with my learning philosophy (new cards are good, reviews can be redundant) so I'm afraid I'll have to withdraw from the Challenge. Sorry but thank you anyway.

Good luck, people!
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby sfuqua » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:05 am

Uh, I'm going to learn new cards. I wouldn't imagine that just reviewing cards would be of that much use or challenge. Right now my deck has zero cards in it. I hope it has 10000 active cards in it with none of them due for review on 31 Dec 2017.

I think it will make a nice sideline to the super challenge.
0 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

Basho[1689]

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:34 am

Rotasu wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:

Okay so just to clarify.

This question is literally asked on page 2 with smallwhite, Adrianslont and I wondering the same thing and you quoted sfuqua answering that very question, which is almost the same to this...

I dont understand why people are having such a hard time with this challenge. Literally all you have to do is have 10k cards active and not due on the due date. That is it. sfuqua doesnt care if they new or old. You need to review one card before they become active? Ok. Do you need 11718 in order to succeed? Up to you. You want to win the challenge? Have 10k cards active and not due on the due date.

I have a tendency to ask questions I know the answer to. This is a perfect example. I think I just like to bounce things of people to clarify. You are right, I probably didn't need to ask this.

What I will ask is this though, and I haven't seen the answer yet but I warn you it might be another seemingly stupid question. I know I know there's no stupid questions they say. I can tell you in my experience there most certainly is, simply because people get annoyed with me asking rediculously obvious questions at times (see above) and of course I totally understand this. I think it comes from a personality in which I was constantly being told off as a kid- thus I learned to double check EVERYTHING even the seemingly very obvious, couple that with working in healthcare in which human health is at stake I like to make sure I'm working very safely within the protocols (ironically as I despise 'rules' yet I stick them very closely usually).

So after that waffle here's my question-

I use Flashcards Deluxe. For cards to become "active" one must enter them, so that they become "new" cards and then you have to get them correct before they become "active". These settings are changeable. I used to have to get my cards correct 5 times before a new cards would become "active". A little while back I changed this setting to 3 times. Thus, stating the obvious, I no have to get my new cards correct 3 times before they become "active". I can change this setting to be more in line with Anki users and the like participating in this challenge, so the question is- Is this a setting that can be adjusted in Anki? If not, what is the setting? ie how many times must you get a card correct before it becomes "active"? As a side note, if I get a card incorrect, or STRONGLY correct then it changes when it will become active. Incorrect = I will see it even more times before it becomes active, strongly correct, i believe it becomes active immediately.

So to reiterate, what are the Anki default settings for making a card become active?
0 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby sfuqua » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:47 am

You review them twice the first day. Then they are active, and you have to keep reviewing them at increasing intervals to keep them up to date.
1 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

Basho[1689]

Return to “Language Challenges”