SRS challenge rules and registration.

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
chokofingrz
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N);
French, Spanish (advanced);
German, Italian, Swedish (intermediate);
Russian, Catalan (beginner);
Portuguese, Luxembourgish, Japanese, Welsh, Arabic (dabbled)

Re: SRS challenge rules and registration.

Postby chokofingrz » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:28 pm

smallwhite wrote:That number is highly unreliable, on top of being calculated in unintuitive ways. ie. It is never what you expect it to be, and never what Memrise staff meant it to be either.

Oh, I never knew that. But on a per-course basis it should be accurate, right? So if I keep a log of each of my courses with the number of words planted at the start/end, then I should have an accurate record of whether I have learned 10,000 words?
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:56 pm

chokofingrz wrote:So if I keep a log of each of my courses with the number of words planted at the start/end, then I should have an accurate record of whether I have learned 10,000 words?

You don't read the Memrise forums much, do you? Nothing in Memrise is accurate :D The least buggy figures I think would be those shown on the website (rather than in the app) near the top of a course:
85 / 90 words learned (xxx in long term memory) ........... 10 ignored
Which means there are 100 words in the course, you have ignored 10 of them, and have learned 85 of them.

10 ignored
85 learned
5 not yet learned
-----
====

"xxx" is the figure that has to total 10,000 in order to meet our current Challenge: words learned, not ignored, not overdue for revision.
2 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Rotasu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N),
日本語 (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1354

Postby Rotasu » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:15 pm

Wow. I didn't realize Memrise was still having these small problems though I do remember them totally ignoring their forums. I also think I've found another bug because when I tried to use the 'create levels' with a database, my cards were out of order >_<

Only when I got into the beta test for their Android app did they fix the JP font so that it showed kanji instead of hanzi. Smallwhite you should also join the beta, if interested in it I can go find the link for you. I signed up for the lols, and was accepted the next day xD

I don't know if it live on the main app, put they have just changed the whole layout of the app.
0 x
Gone

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:50 pm

Rotasu wrote:Wow. I didn't realize Memrise was still having these small problems... I also think I've found another bug...

the beta...

I have about 10 active bugs haunting me at the moment. Never have I had fewer than 5.

Does joining the beta mean being guinea pigs to test out beta versions? I can't stand even their official releases, I don't think I'd be able to stand their betas! Thanks anyway.

Btw: there are 610 days from 1-May-2016 to 31-Dec-2017, both days inclusive.
1 x

Rotasu
Orange Belt
日本語 (A1)

Postby Rotasu » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:45 pm

smallwhite wrote:
Rotasu wrote:Wow. I didn't realize Memrise was still having these small problems... I also think I've found another bug...

the beta...

I have about 10 active bugs haunting me at the moment. Never have I had fewer than 5.

Does joining the beta mean being guinea pigs to test out beta versions? I can't stand even their official releases, I don't think I'd be able to stand their betas! Thanks anyway.

Btw: there are 610 days from 1-May-2016 to 31-Dec-2017, both days inclusive.

Yea. Most people post bugs they find after each update. As long has Diego(staff) is there, he will fix any bug that you tell him about. Still better than posting in the forums thought really got to push to get Diego's attention lol.
0 x
Gone

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:31 am

I'm interested in joining this challenge but a bit confused. I've currently got a deck with about 4500 cards that are mature or learning. Do I shoot for a total of 10000 cards by the end of the challenge or 14500?
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:47 am

Adrianslont wrote:I'm interested in joining this challenge but a bit confused. I've currently got a deck with about 4500 cards that are mature or learning. Do I shoot for a total of 10000 cards by the end of the challenge or 14500?

I'm confused, too. At first I thought 14,500, ie. 10,000 more cards to win the Challenge, but I'm not sure what sfuqua's reply to DEC means:

DEC wrote:I won't be part of the challenge, as I started over 6 months ago, but I'll watch your progress with interest. :)

sfuqua wrote:You could just continue with your current deck and just announce when you get to 10 000 cards or when you have finished 10 000 cards.

Does sfuqua mean:
1. anounce and win when DEC gets to 10,000 more cards / when DEC learns 10,000 more cards. So DEC may have, say, 18,000 cards by then. (This would be the same as how I understand it).
or
2. announce and win when DEC has learned 10,000 cards starting from 6 months ago. So DEC does maybe 2,000 more and wins. <--- if this is what sfuqua means, is this a special case just for DEC?
0 x

Rotasu
Orange Belt
日本語 (A1)

Postby Rotasu » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:21 am

sfuqua wrote:
This challenge is to "do" 10 000 srs cards in a 20 month period. A convenient time to do this challenge is between 1 May 2016 and 31 December 2017, since this matches the super challenge, and it is possible to do this challenge as an adjunct to the super challenge.

You have won the challenge, if at the end of the challenge (600 days roughly) you have a total of 10 000 cards in the review section of your deck (a total of 10 000 cards that are either "new and learning" or "mature") and none of these cards are suspended ordue for review that day.

Adrianslont wrote:

Sfuque says "do", not create.
0 x
Gone

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:41 am

Rotasu wrote:Sfuque says "do", not create.

I know, I re-read the OP and noticed that, too, but

smallwhite wrote:I assume the Challenge means:

* 10,000 new cards over the ~600 days

sfuqua wrote:Exactly, more clearly said than my ramble.

:?
0 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:11 pm

smallwhite wrote:
Rotasu wrote:Sfuque says "do", not create.

I know, I re-read the OP and noticed that, too, but

smallwhite wrote:I assume the Challenge means:

* 10,000 new cards over the ~600 days

sfuqua wrote:Exactly, more clearly said than my ramble.

:?

This makes sense but as you say in your post immediately before this Steve's reply to DEC seems to say something contradictory.

As well as "do" and "create" there's another option too which is something like "get 10000 cards to learning/mature".

Steve, anything to add?
0 x

Return to “Language Challenges”