10000 srs challenge?

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Re: 10000 srs challenge?

Postby lusan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:42 pm

sfuqua wrote:Awesome deck of mature cards, lusan!
How long did it take you to do it?
What effects did doing it have?

So far, I have worked with Anki for 737 days, which is about 2 years.
Effect: I can somewhat speak and survive if I have to. I strongly believe that listening and speaking are the next steps in this journey. I guess that I have to give it another 2 years to feel confident enough to say that I know the language.

Current methods:
Listening: intensive listening to anki cards. Similar to what others do with film segments. Need to get TV going. Podcast are way to boring for me.
Speaking: Italki. However, I want to figure a better way. I am also exploring L1 to L2 full sentences translation.
Reading: Finished Harry Potter 1. Now, I am reading Agatha Christi, "Death on the Oriental Express."

My current level? Probably A2 or B1. Not sure anymore. There are days that I can speak well and others when I am terrible.

In 3 weeks I will go to Gdansk, Poland for month vacation. I am sure that I will understand some. :lol:
0 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:34 pm

lusan wrote:
sfuqua wrote:Awesome deck of mature cards, lusan!
How long did it take you to do it?
What effects did doing it have?

So far, I have worked with Anki for 737 days, which is about 2 years.
Effect: I can somewhat speak and survive if I have to. I strongly believe that listening and speaking are the next steps in this journey. I guess that I have to give it another 2 years to feel confident enough to say that I know the language.

How many hours of actual study?
0 x

lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:15 pm

reineke wrote:How many hours of actual study?

Using Anki' reports: 220 hours but I do not believe this number because currently I pass 1.5 hours just doing Anki in addition as setting up the cards.

It feels as if I have been doing it forever and yet it is now when I can sustain a conversation for a while and have fun with the language -by the way, I have no fear talking. I think that it will take another 2 years of agony before stopping the project and just watch TV and read books. Maybe it is me, but it seems that this is a 4 years project as if I were climbing slowly a huge mountain. Currently I work on activation all my passive knowledge and keep improving listening skills which I think are lower than desire. :shock:
1 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

beispiel
White Belt
Languages: Danish (N), English (C1), German (B1), French (A2), Korean (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3103

Postby beispiel » Sun May 08, 2016 8:42 pm

I'm in! I could really use it as a motivation for Korean.
0 x

● German SC r.
● German SC l.
● English SC r.
● English SC l.
: 8 / 100 ● ● French SC l.
: 15 / 100 ● ● French SC r.
: 17 / 100
: 100 / 100
: 1 / 50
: 2 / 50

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:35 pm

Screenshot_2017-04-09-13-31-40-416.png

Well I managed to complete the 10k challenge. Lots of new cards and I have a flood of review cards. But the plan now is to remove most if these decks and reload with new ones.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:32 pm

rdearman wrote:

Well I managed to complete the 10k challenge. Lots of new cards and I have a flood of review cards. But the plan now is to remove most if these decks and reload with new ones.

Congratulations rdearman!

I have a few questions:
Was that a mix of languages?
What kind of cards were you using?
Do you feel it helped?
What's your thinking behind replacing your decks with new ones?
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:32 pm

Adrianslont wrote:
rdearman wrote:

I have a few questions:
Do you feel it helped?

It was a mixture of languages, I had FInnish, Mandarin, French, Italian all included in various decks. It was a mixture of cards as well. The Finnish cards were some which I'd made using emk's substudy and the subs2srs program, so these had audio, a picture, TL & NL text. The French cards were some really good computer generated sentence cards with text-to-voice audio, TL & NL sentences. The Italian cards were also subs2srs cards, and the Mandarin cards were a huge mixture of character-translation, susbs2srs, and two downloaded decks:
Chinese HSK 1 - 150 Words, 300 Example Sentences, with Audio
Chinese Sentences and audio, spoon fed

Do I think it helped... probably not the way I was doing it. I think it wasn't as useful as it could have been because I was using the "shotgun" effect. I think it was actually more useful to be doing related cards while progressing other studies. My thinking behind changing decks was my anki decks should be more sniper rifle than shotgun. Without going into huge details, I've parked a lot of the languages and tried to concentrate on one at a time. In the latter stages of this challenge, I've been binge watching French, and the French sentences in Anki were really helpful but the Mandarin ones were just a distraction.

I've decided to change the cards to be only about the language which I'm concentrating on right now. I've loaded two Italian decks. One is one I created from an Italian word frequency list which has the top 20k most used words, and part 1 & 2 of a computer generated Italian sentence deck similar to the French one I was using. 15000 Italian sentences sorted from easy to hard — part1& part2

What I learned from this challenge:
  • 10k new cards isn't as difficult as it sounds, it is the reviews that kill you.
  • A mixture of card types, with/without audio, cloze, sentence cards, word only cards, are all effective but one type of card isn't as effective. A mixture also allows you to flip between card types if you're bored with word only, do sentences, or swap subs2srs for word only, etc.
  • Concentrate on only one language at a time.
  • Always carry your headsets, or have a lot of non-audio cards as a fall back.
  • Sometimes you don't need to review. For example if you have audio for 16k sentences in a language you're B-ish level, just listening to the sentence and parsing it in your head is useful, the repetition of this sentence immediately probably isn't as useful.
  • Flipping through cards can be as useful as memorisation.

I also need to point out I wasn't spending ages on each card, and I spent very little time reviewing individual cards, I either knew them or I didn't. I didn't spend a lot of time picking if the card was easy/good/hard to remmeber, if I knew it then I pressed "good" if I didn't I pressed "Again". Because I wanted to see lots of different cards, I was repressing reviews, and encouraging new cards.

Hopefully that answered your questions. I'm planning to do just as many cards, just reducing the number of languages to one. :)
6 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:52 am

rdearman wrote:
Adrianslont wrote:
rdearman wrote:

I have a few questions:
Do you feel it helped?

It was a mixture of languages, I had FInnish, Mandarin, French, Italian all included in various decks. It was a mixture of cards as well. The Finnish cards were some which I'd made using emk's substudy and the subs2srs program, so these had audio, a picture, TL & NL text. The French cards were some really good computer generated sentence cards with text-to-voice audio, TL & NL sentences. The Italian cards were also subs2srs cards, and the Mandarin cards were a huge mixture of character-translation, susbs2srs, and two downloaded decks:
Chinese HSK 1 - 150 Words, 300 Example Sentences, with Audio
Chinese Sentences and audio, spoon fed

Do I think it helped... probably not the way I was doing it. I think it wasn't as useful as it could have been because I was using the "shotgun" effect. I think it was actually more useful to be doing related cards while progressing other studies. My thinking behind changing decks was my anki decks should be more sniper rifle than shotgun. Without going into huge details, I've parked a lot of the languages and tried to concentrate on one at a time. In the latter stages of this challenge, I've been binge watching French, and the French sentences in Anki were really helpful but the Mandarin ones were just a distraction.

I've decided to change the cards to be only about the language which I'm concentrating on right now. I've loaded two Italian decks. One is one I created from an Italian word frequency list which has the top 20k most used words, and part 1 & 2 of a computer generated Italian sentence deck similar to the French one I was using. 15000 Italian sentences sorted from easy to hard — part1& part2

What I learned from this challenge:
  • 10k new cards isn't as difficult as it sounds, it is the reviews that kill you.
  • A mixture of card types, with/without audio, cloze, sentence cards, word only cards, are all effective but one type of card isn't as effective. A mixture also allows you to flip between card types if you're bored with word only, do sentences, or swap subs2srs for word only, etc.
  • Concentrate on only one language at a time.
  • Always carry your headsets, or have a lot of non-audio cards as a fall back.
  • Sometimes you don't need to review. For example if you have audio for 16k sentences in a language you're B-ish level, just listening to the sentence and parsing it in your head is useful, the repetition of this sentence immediately probably isn't as useful.
  • Flipping through cards can be as useful as memorisation.

I also need to point out I wasn't spending ages on each card, and I spent very little time reviewing individual cards, I either knew them or I didn't. I didn't spend a lot of time picking if the card was easy/good/hard to remmeber, if I knew it then I pressed "good" if I didn't I pressed "Again". Because I wanted to see lots of different cards, I was repressing reviews, and encouraging new cards.

Hopefully that answered your questions. I'm planning to do just as many cards, just reducing the number of languages to one. :)

Thanks for the detailed answer rdearman. It was interesting to read your description of how you use anki - so many people, especially over on Reddit, use anki differently to me (that's me reading between the lines) but give no detail about what they actually do. Reading about how people use it, other than just single words TL>L1 or L1>TL, has been really helpful in making anki interesting for me. I especially appreciated emk's writing about subs2srs and anki in general.

Anyway, back to your approach, mine is similar in many ways and differs a little.

Similar:
  • I do two languages - mainly Indonesian but also a little French. I sometimes wish I was only interested in one language so that I could maker faster progress but the fact is I am interested in two.
  • I like a variety of cards, too - mostly subs2srs, plenty of cloze deletion, a deck based on an Assimil course (including audio), some subs2srs that have audio only (came from news podcasts), a Gabe Wyner pronunciation trainer and a relatively small number of single word cards. The variety helps if boredom visits.
  • Yes, I always carry my earbuds, too.
  • I don't "memorise" cards, either - that is, I don't sit there consciously trying to drill a sentence into my memory, I just listen and try to understand, maybe repeat if on my own, play over and over again if I don't understand or if I am entertained/amused by the card. If something is a bit different grammatically I may stop and ponder. Then I move on to the next card. Not "memorising" but just being exposed seems to be working. So, I guess I "flip" but I have trouble calling it flipping when they are subs2srs and you actually have to take a few seconds at least to listen.
Different:
  • I only use cards taken from other materials I have studied/watched/listened to - I don't use anything from a frequency list or Glossika or the 16k decks. Maybe I should try that approach - one day - but I really like using anki to consolidate and I think I would find them too decontextualized for my liking. I guess you find it useful as you are going to use the Italian deck after working with the French deck.
Other comments:
  • I don't delete/suspend as ruthlessly as emk recommends as I generally only make cards that I want to study. However, the susbs2srs decks based on movies do have a number of suspended cards.
  • I generally keep really easy cards and just mark them as easy.
  • I try to avoid marking cards as hard - I tell myself that it will be easier next time and it usually is.
  • I really must update my srs challenge progress bars! It's slightly tricky because of multiple decks and languages and the fact that I had started before the challenge so I don't do it often!
  • I think having audio on so many cards has really helped my Indonesian listening a lot.
  • Anki starts to become a chore if I spend more than 30 minutes a day on it - there is no way I could finish this challenge in advance
That's all I can think of for now. Cheers.
2 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Fri May 26, 2017 4:34 pm

I'm back on track to complete the challenge this year. I've already gone through over 10 000 cards, but I'm not counting myself done since I haven't kept up the reviews.
For me, I'm not going to count myself as done until I have 10 000 mature cards that are caught up on reviews.
That's just my way of doing the challenge.
I've had a crummy year on many fronts, and my anki deck is one of the few positive things I've accomplished.
I quite enjoy grinding through my cards each day.
I've got 600 cards due today :-)
2 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:51 am

sfuqua wrote:You have won the challenge, if at the end of the challenge (600 days roughly) you have a total of 10 000 cards in the review section of your deck (a total of 10 000 cards that are either "new and learning" or "mature") and none of these cards are suspended ordue for review that day.

So many things happen at this time of the year :P How did everyone do in this Challenge?

SRS challenge rules and registration.
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Return to “Language Challenges”