2024/25 Super Challenge Registration Thread

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
unfaithlessnesscy
Languages: Russian (N), English (C1), French (beginner)

Re: 2024/25 Super Challenge Registration Thread

Postby unfaithlessnesscy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:58 pm

Language: French
Challenge: Full
Current Level: Beginner
Comments: I dream of reading Proust, Flaubert, Balzac, Maupassant and other writers in the original. So far I know a couple of words in French, but knowing English helps with some vocabulary

Good luck to everyone!
20 x

semblable
Languages: Polish (N), English (C2) Portuguese (A2-B1), French (extremely rusty A2-B1), German used to be B1 years ago.

Postby semblable » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:23 pm

Language: Portuguese
Challenge: double
Current level: I am gonna say strong B1 for comprehension, but output is significantly worse
Comments, links: I am staying in Portugal until the end of July so trying to get the most out of it before I head home

Language: German
Challenge: half
Current level: extremely rusty, but maybe B1 before
Comments, links: It's not my priority currently but once I get closer to completing my Portuguese challenge I will work on German
15 x

MaggieMae
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2), Swiss German (depends on the day), Swedish (A1), Mandarin (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=18071

Postby MaggieMae » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:05 pm

stell wrote:I'm not even sure how to count the pages of things that I read, because I'm only reading short texts at this point.

You could try by word count. Every 250 words = 1 page.

As for me:
Challenge: full
Current level: C2
Comments, links: Gotta keep my skills sharp, so I don't look like an idiot in front of my students. They're going to help push me for reading, though, since I promised I'd read a book from the school library of their choice every week. Too bad the thickest book in the place was picked for me in February! :lol:

Unofficial Sign Up:
Language: Swedish
Current level: A1-
Comments, links: I'll be tracking this, but not really pushing myself. I get so frustrated still with how long it takes me to read: ~20 min per page of a graduated A1 reader, but it'll be a nice kick in the pants to finally crack those open again. On the other hand, I do like watching tv in Swedish, when possible. I REALLY love their Advent Calendar, and there's 2 of them per Super Challenge, so that's exciting! And there aren't any English captions, so no crutches!
13 x
Languages: English (N), German (C2), Swiss German (depends on the day), Swedish (A1), Mandarin (beginner)
SC 24/25
: 0 / 100 Books 0/100
: 0 / 100 Films 0/100

fenkoli
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (N2, but dropped), Swedish (B1), Finnish (A1)
Dabbling: Russian
Hit list: Romani, Northern Sámi, Latvian, Serbian, Norwegian, German...
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 81#p240481

Postby fenkoli » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:47 pm

Language: Swedish
Current level: B1 reading, A2 listening
Comments, links: my reading isn't too bad, but my listening is absolutely atrocious, haha. I'll be using mainly YouTube videos, I think, as I'm not really into watching TV - anything that holds my attention is fair game, really. As for books, I'll be reading largely nonfiction and am aiming to keep it to books originally written in Swedish, though I'm not averse to reading translations if something catches my eye. I still use a textbook (Rivstart B1+B2) but am aiming to complete that by the summer, and will be reading/listening in tandem.

Language: Finnish
Current level: A1, barely
Comments, links: this... is going to be difficult. My level right now is such that I can barely read or listen to anything beyond the very basics, but I'm hoping this challenge will kickstart some progress. I'll be reading and watching/listening in tandem with my textbook (Sun Suomi) here, too.

Good luck everyone!!
13 x

nathancrow77
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)

Postby nathancrow77 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:11 pm

Language: Spanish
Current level: B1 listening and reading (very loose estimate)
Comments, links: I've (mostly) been following the Dreaming Spanish methodology and am a couple months from the point where reading is recommended (600 hours of CI). I average about 3 hours of listening/watching a day, but for the purposes of this challenge I'm going to try to only count actual TV shows/movies (rather than DS or youtube content). Reading likely won't start until June/July.
12 x

Carl
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C2), Norwegian (C1), Danish (reading only), Spanish (B2), German (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=16220

Postby Carl » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:55 pm

OK, despite my thoughts about wanting to devote more time to production in Spanish and German, I'll take the plunge for this reading/listening Super Challenge. I've been alerting friends to it and thinking about how I'd do it (if I were to do it), and I am just getting sucked into it... Thanks, everyone, for the peer pressure!

Language: Spanish (emphasis on Latin America)
Current level: B2
Comments, links: For books, I'll start with Allende's La casa de los espíritus; I found her El viento conoce mi nombre to be at a perfect i+1 level for me. For movies, I'll finally jump on the Destinos bandwagon, plus watch Roma and El Ministereo del Tiempo. (Transcripts are available for the latter, so I'll get some reading in that way, too.) I'll rewatch The Three Body Problem on Netflix, with descriptive audio in Spanish and subtitles in German (or vice versa, for the other half).

Language: Germanic (primarily German, but also Swedish, Norwegian, and/or Danish)
Current level: B1+ for German, C2- for Swedish, C1- for Norwegian, and thus I read Danish.
Comments, links: Targeting Germanic languages instead of just German is less daunting, since I can coast along in Scandinavian if I get behind on German. To start, I plan to listen to and read the transcript of Trisolaris Trilogie Hörspiel, to watch film versions of Emil und die Detektive, and to listen to and read Die 13 1/2 Leben des K-pt'n Blaubär.
11 x
2024/2025 Super Challenge (half challenges)
Germanic books 2500 pages: 0 / 2500
Germanic films 4500 minutes: 69 / 4500
Spanish books 2500 pages: 0 / 2500
Spanish films 4500 minutes: 14 / 4500

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (adv), Latin (int), French (int), Mandarin (low int)

Postby Querneus » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:31 pm

Language: Latin
Challenge: "full", 100 books only, so really half
Current level: B1
Comments, links:

Language: French
Challenge: half (50 books and 50 films)
Current level: B2
Comments, links:
12 x
May 2024 - December 2025 Super Challenge progress
Latin 100 SC books: 0 / 100 0/100
French 50 SC books: 0 / 50 0/50
French 50 SC films: 0 / 50 0/50

Nogon
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), Swedish (C), English (?), French (A2), Esperanto (A2). Reading Danish, Norwegian, Dutch, Afrikaans, Yiddish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16039

Postby Nogon » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:48 pm

Language: Yiddish
Current level: ?
Comments, links: Will probably only (try to) do the reading part due to lack of listening resources

Language: Afrikaans
Current level: ?
Comments, links: Will probably only (try to) do the reading part due to lack of listening resources
11 x
SC Yiddish.... : 5 / 2500 pages
SC Afrikaans. : 0 / 2500 pages

reverie
Languages: English (N), German (beginner), French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=20206

Postby reverie » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:04 pm

Challenge: Double
Current level: A1.5
Comments: I've really stagnated in my German study and this is a wonderful opportunity to get the ball rolling again. So far I have not read anything other than graded readers. I hope I'll be able to transition to native content soon enough.
14 x

mothercondor
Languages: English (n), Turkish (??)

Postby mothercondor » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:15 am

Language: Turkish
Challenge: double
Current level: Perhaps B1?
Comments, links: I have read approximately 2500 pages in Turkish, mostly in the last 6 months. Currently reading ya fiction and detective/mystery novels, but I would like to be reading Turkish literature in a year's time or so.
14 x

Return to “Language Challenges”