30:30 Vocabulary Challenge - August 2023

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

30:30 Vocabulary Challenge - August 2023

Postby rdearman » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:47 am

If you want to post your results for July, go here: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 21&t=19200

I posted a question about how to learn 50 words per day. And there are some great answers. I've trying to learn 50 words per day for the last few days, but it is too much. However, it did get me thinking about creation of a new challenge for building vocabulary. And this is it!

Super Challenge too easy?
6 week challenge too long?
365 day challenge just isn't a challenge for you?

Well, the 30:30 challenge is here to break you!

The idea is that in a month with 31 days (I'll explain why 31 in a 30 day challenge in a second) you learn 30 new words every day.

Starting on 1st of August, the challenge is to learn 30 new and unique words every single day. So in theory you'll have 900 new words at the end of that month. It doesn't matter for the purposes of this challenge how you learn the words, or how you review. You can use wordlists, or anki, or write them out on bits of paper, or inject the words via telepathy from an AI robot. But on day 31 of the month you have to take a test. I've created a google sheet (spreadsheet) which allows you to take a test.

You basically insert the TL word and the NL translation into the sheet, then sort by a column filled with random numbers, hide the TL word and take the test. Because it is a test with 900 words, it is going to take a lot of time. Even if you were typing in 10 words a minute, the test would still take an hour and a half. So this is why I'm reserving an entire day of the month just to take the test. I've also included a daily test for the 30 words you are doing that day. So you can test yourself daily before taking the final examination.

So how to do the challenge?
  1. Sign up here before the 1st of July saying what language your vocabulary is going to be in (You can build your vocabulary in your native language if you want)
  2. Take a copy of my Google sheet, then you can use Google Sheets, LibreOffice, Excel, whatever you prefer.
  3. Find 900 unknown and unique words (and translations which are used as questions for the test) and paste them in the spreadsheet.
  4. Test yourself on the 31st of July and report the amount out of 900 words you now know!
EDIT : Words can be in more than one language, or your native language.

I figure even if I learn more than 10 words, it is worth it. If I learn 900 words that would be brilliant!

If you want to post in this thread how you plan to remember, revise or otherwise learn the words, feel free to share! If this challenge is useful or popular then we'll run it again every month where there are 31 days.

In a world where vocabulary runs amok and learning feels like an insurmountable mission, there emerges a challenge unlike any other. Today, still wanted by the government, vocabulary survives as soldiers of fortune. So, if you have a linguistic conundrum, if expanding your language skills seems out of reach, if you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find it, maybe you can complete the 30:30 Challenge.

Feel free to make "A-Team" references when signing up to the challenge. I love it when a plan comes together.
6 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

untrucdeouf
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), Tagalog (beginner), Esperanto (beginner)

Re: 30:30 Vocabulary Challenge - August 2023

Postby untrucdeouf » Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:16 pm

I was wavering initially, but I'll be back for month two! I feel like I learned a lot about what did and did not work for me during my first run at this, and I think the tweaks I'm planning to make to my approach for month two will end up being much more effective.

Edit: Tagalog again
Last edited by untrucdeouf on Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:44 am

Please sign me up for Japanese, Hannibal! 8-)
3 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:31 am

Count me in as well. I am planning on going with French and my wordlist can be found here: 30:30 Vocabulary Challenge - FR
3 x

Anya
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), French (C1), English, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, German, Turkish, Mandarin, Sanskrit, Catalan, Portuguese, Hungarian, Greek, Romanian, Occitan, Latin ...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=754&p=11667#p11667

Postby Anya » Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:00 pm

Turkish again for me!
3 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:31 pm

I've come to the conclusion that I can't do a full challenge this month, but at the same time, I don't want to pass on it completely. Here's what I want to do:

For the first 15 days:
- Repetition of last month's Russian vocabulary for 30 minutes every day
- Grammar study (as described in the other thread) following the principles of this challenge and according to the same method I used last month for vocab
- Spanish reading and gathering of vocab for a list to work on for the final 15 days of the challenge.

On the 16th (which is the day of the Russian exam I'm preparing for) I'll do a new test of last month's vocab and see how much I've improved. Then I'll start on my Spanish list and do the challenge as normal from there, but I will of course have only 450 words at the end of the month.
3 x

tomhal
Languages: Czech (N), English (B2), Spanish (B1), German (B1), Russian (beginner)

Postby tomhal » Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:39 pm

I am in again. This month with Lebanese Arabic. Best luck to everyone!
3 x

untrucdeouf
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), Tagalog (beginner), Esperanto (beginner)

Postby untrucdeouf » Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:52 pm

One thing I'm switching up for month two is that I'm being way, way less strict about what words I'm adding to my list. In July I was avoiding most cognates, avoiding most words containing roots I recognized, and avoiding words that I had previously looked up the meaning of but had forgotten. So the vast majority of words on my list were 100% new to me, with some occasional exceptions.

But since my ultimate goal is production of the language, it really hit home last month that it's not enough to just be able to vaguely puzzle out the meaning of a word when I encounter it. I need to be able to produce it smoothly on command. So this time my criteria for the word list is just any word that I can't produce. (With reasonable limits of course: it's not like I'm going to add 10 words all containing the same root.) I don't want to fall into the trap of creating word lists of increasingly obscure words that are totally disconnected from other words I already know -- especially challenging in a language like Tagalog, which is agglutinative-ish, depending on which linguist you ask.

So I expect this month's challenge to be easier for me than last month's, but at the same time I also expect it to have a more beneficial impact on my language learning.

Is anyone else changing up their approach this time around?
3 x

aloysius
White Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English, German.
Studying: French, Russian, Italian, Spanish.

Postby aloysius » Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:15 pm

It is certainly worth a try!

I will pick 30 words every day from my intensive reading in Italian. I will type in the words as I go along. Aiming for production, that is writing in TL.
5 x

Kamille
Languages: English (N)

Postby Kamille » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:41 pm

Please sign me up for Korean :lol:
0 x

Return to “Language Challenges”