30:30 Vocabulary Challenge - August 2023

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: 30:30 Vocabulary Challenge - August 2023

Postby rdearman » Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:23 pm

Ok. But the next one doesn't start until October.
0 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:17 pm

Checking the calendar, test day is upon us once again. This month I managed 866 out of 900 for French.

Exact results can be seen on the FR_FinalTest tab under 30:30 Vocabulary Challenge - FR

Testing Technique
I came up with what I think is a helpful innovation for my own personal testing. Instead of typing out each answer, I spoke them aloud, immediately checked validity and keyed the bit value of 0 or 1 for scoring. This allowed me to complete the exam without exhaustion and on a relatively busy workday.

Initial Learning
In concise order, I settled on WordReference as my primary reference website. The French list turned out to be substantially harder for me than the Latin list and I ended up using several additional learning aids. For SRS work, I grabbed Google images and included TL/NL definitions on the back of each card. My usual etymology trick wasn't helping for some reason, so I adjusted by abandoning it. Context sentences were not helpful for me in SRS, but I found a way to make them work by keeping them in a separate notepad file to mimic a normal reading experience better. My primary take-home is that the quality of the examples I chose mattered more than the specific technique I used. It was anyone's guess as to which one I would pick up first (sentence, TL definition, NL definition, image).

Review
Like last month, I was fairly careful not to let my SRS lists accumulate to more than 200 daily reviews. The main reason is that I once again wanted a very heavy focus on leeches and new unknown terms and almost no focus on terms I felt confident with. I had a tougher time picking these words up compared to Latin last month, so I compensated by increasing the review frequency and also taking advantage of the short testing window by outright deleting the cards if I felt I could remember a term more than about 3-4 days. I reviewed the entire list on days 29 and 30 then tested against it today.

Other Notes
I am happy enough with French, that I am confident this will be my next focus language, so the challenge has provided just the impetus I needed. I have a lot of ideas for future challenge months. An opaque language will be fun to try as TL-NL passive. Moreover, some active recall is not out of the question for French directly or French->(German, Spanish or other Romance). I would probably reduce the list difficulty for active output.
7 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:58 pm

On the light side of things and similar to what I did last month with Latin, I managed to flag a few words from my French list that I thought worth sharing. This time around, we have a class of thieves linked surprisingly to Marvel comics and Spiderman (Le Cambrioleur). In Latin we had daythieves. Travel this time around is by buckboard (hippomobile) optionally carting a [flopée] of goods powered by ox (monobovin). For each language studied, a representative creature of the night is also in order. For Spanish, I remember choosing erizo (hedgehog) and in French, the loup-garou (werewolf) seems obligatory. The decision for German is pending more scientific inquiry. Somewhat less scientifically minded, the planned language learning method for French is learning via par à-coups. Finally, Qui dort dîne may be my favourite on the list due to its simple backstory with wide and universal applicability. I think it will make for a decent journal title as well.

3 x

Return to “Language Challenges”