30:30 Vocabulary Challenge - July 2023

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Re: 30:30 Vocabulary Challenge - July 2023

Postby Querneus » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:07 am

coldrainwater wrote:There were some general tendencies that I noted simply because I spent so long making it. I avoided most grammar-heavy terms since I should be able to tackle those in their appropriate context. Furthermore, I wasn't keen on inundating a vocabulary list with grammar. I avoided both proper nouns and cognates, the latter of which probably excluded most of the dictionary technically. I also tried to make the terms themselves strongly distinct from one another, but also memorable enough to form an interesting, if a bit peculiar, list. Part of the reason for the cognate omission is that for scoring purposes, I don't want to be able to look at a Latin term and see another English word embedded inside it, either by root or otherwise. In my mind, I would unfairly get credit for learning a new word without putting in the actual challenge effort to do so. I made a few exceptions to this with terms that personally had more interest in than usual.

Thank you for making the effort to avoid obvious cognates / borrowings into English: it actually makes your wordlist quite useful... I think I'll share it elsewhere if you don't mind, although I wish you had included macrons, declension markers (-ae -i -orum -is...), and gender markers for any words whose gender isn't obvious. But I could make the effort to add these things myself.
1 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:47 am

Querneus wrote:Thank you for making the effort to avoid obvious cognates/borrowings into English: it actually makes your wordlist quite useful... I think I'll share it elsewhere if you don't mind, although I wish you had included macrons, declension markers (-ae -i -orum -is...), and gender markers for any words whose gender isn't obvious. But I could make the effort to add these things myself.

No problem and feel free to share the list. I will keep a basic changelog for specific errors that I run into and add it to a separate tab for impact lineage. I hope for it to be a stronger list at the end of July than at the beginning, though it will have somewhat fewer terms. So far I have continued with removing cognates as I recognize them and have worked to make it more input friendly by enhancing the answer set via looking the terms up on wiktionary. I was aware of the need for macrons, gender, and declension (comes with the territory of having studied German) and agree that they need to be added. I ended up choosing to leave them off partly out of time constraints but mostly since I am such a raw beginner at Latin that I didn't think I could supply those in a correct idiomatic fashion. Namely, I am not sure of the optimal format to provide that information or if Philolog.us offers sufficient information to include directly in that regard. Ideally, I would like to find an optimal lookup source that has that information and would gladly add it as soon as I can properly interpret what I am adding. I definitely wanted to create a unique list and didn't want to end up with a poor rendition of a list done much better elsewhere. Another shortcoming of my list is that I lack the experience to know how useful vs peculiar each term really is and ultimately end up relying on Lewis and Short's judgment about including the word in the first place as sufficient grounds.
2 x

cito
Orange Belt
Languages: english (N) //
use: french
study: latin, modern greek
study sometimes: spanish, russian, old english
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17064

Postby cito » Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:03 pm

How are people feeling so far?

I'll say it's definitely a challenge learning this many words in a day. Thankfully Anki gives good statistics for me to measure (approximately) how well I am learning each word. My "Again" (a.k.a I did not know the card when it appeared) percentage is around 75%, or 25% of the time, which is about twice what Anki is meant to be/what I am usually at when sentence mining 10-15 words per day (to be fair, that is in French, which is a language I have less difficulty remembering words in, since I am so used to it). Hmmm. Makes sense, however, given the quantity of the words each day (and the fact I haven't seen any of them, or do not remember seeing any of them, before).

Overall, I'm still feeling like I'll be able to complete the challenge (I dropped my statistics course for this! (not really)), but I just need to find time to get some immersion in alongside the hour or so it takes to learn these words with Anki/make physical flash cards.

How is everyone else holding up/doing? Thoughts?
5 x
50 French Books: 20 / 50
Greek ASSIMIL: 35 / 100
Russian ASSIMIL: 43 / 100
(On Pause)
Latin ASSIMIL: 29 / 101
Spanish ASSIMIL: 40 / 100

diaconia
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1 in 2004), Russian (beginner), Ancient Greek (beginner), French (needs refreshing)

Postby diaconia » Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:32 pm

cito wrote:How is everyone else holding up/doing? Thoughts?

So far so good! If I could activate at least a portion of the vocabulary I wouldn't have to review so much. I'm gonna work on that. This is definitely a challenge on many levels -- not just learning the words but making them a part of an active vocabulary. Maybe I should pay attention to lingohot's article on how the Chinese memorize entire texts (?)
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:38 pm

diaconia wrote:
cito wrote:How is everyone else holding up/doing? Thoughts?

So far so good! If I could activate at least a portion of the vocabulary I wouldn't have to review so much. I'm gonna work on that. This is definitely a challenge on many levels -- not just learning the words but making them a part of an active vocabulary. Maybe I should pay attention to lingohot's article on how the Chinese memorize entire texts (?)

It is really difficult! You could try making sentences out of the words as well? I find some days and some words are a lot easier than others.
4 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

diaconia
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1 in 2004), Russian (beginner), Ancient Greek (beginner), French (needs refreshing)

Postby diaconia » Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:52 pm

rdearman wrote:You could try making sentences out of the words as well?

Oh man, I think I have enough sentences :lol: Verbs don't make much sense without a subject and well, I decided to add an object, oh, and a time reference! мы идём вечером в кино / we go to the cinema tonight. My list can have just 10 of these and it takes a long time to get through it!

EDIT: the really good news is that I just tested myself on my July 1st list and it was really easy! So, hey,.. it's working! :D
4 x

untrucdeouf
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), Tagalog (beginner), Esperanto (beginner)

Postby untrucdeouf » Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:32 pm

So far so good for me as well! My retention hasn't been 100% perfect but it's definitely in the 90%+ range so far. I'm still in the beginning stages of learning Tagalog (I began in earnest at the end of April) and I have a strong suspicion that this challenge is easier in the A1-A2 range than it is in the B1+ range, though I could be wrong about that. I also have the distinct advantage of learning a language that has a highly phonemic orthography and a relatively small alphabet.

I've really been trying to avoid obvious cognates but they still manage to sneak in. I was on my third day of reviewing the word kahon (box) before I caught on that it's obviously a cognate with the Spanish cajon. I don't speak Spanish though, so I'm cutting myself a break on that one (although I have worked with a lot of cajon players, so I do feel a little silly for not catching it earlier...)

As usual when I'm learning vocabulary, I'm struggling the most with groups of words that are very similar but have entirely different meanings. So far I'm most likely to mix up higit, hitik, and hilik, which have all made their way onto my list -- I have no issues with recognizing their meanings in context, but not so much in isolation.
4 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:52 am

diaconia wrote:
rdearman wrote:You could try making sentences out of the words as well?

Oh man, I think I have enough sentences :lol: Verbs don't make much sense without a subject and well, I decided to add an object, oh, and a time reference! мы идём вечером в кино / we go to the cinema tonight. My list can have just 10 of these and it takes a long time to get through it!

EDIT: the really good news is that I just tested myself on my July 1st list and it was really easy! So, hey,.. it's working! :D

I think one of the good things about this challenge is that you have to practice output. To pass the test you can't just recognise the word when you see it, you have to reproduce the TL word in writing from the NL prompt. For me in Korean the difficulty I am having is spelling the word, even though I would know any of them I see. :ugeek:

That is why I am making all my anki review close.
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

cito
Orange Belt
Languages: english (N) //
use: french
study: latin, modern greek
study sometimes: spanish, russian, old english
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17064

Postby cito » Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:44 pm

Hey everyone, I think the challenge isnt working for me. Gonna have to drop it :(. Thanks for the ride!
0 x
50 French Books: 20 / 50
Greek ASSIMIL: 35 / 100
Russian ASSIMIL: 43 / 100
(On Pause)
Latin ASSIMIL: 29 / 101
Spanish ASSIMIL: 40 / 100

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:26 pm

cito wrote:Hey everyone, I think the challenge isnt working for me. Gonna have to drop it :(. Thanks for the ride!

No problem. I have to say I'm struggling and it is my challenge! The weekend was too busy with life stuff, and although I did manage to do an hour or so each day of the 30 words, I still feel I'm falling behind. However, I console myself with the idea that I didn't go into this challenge planning to ace the 900 words at the end, but to just retain as many as I can.

I hope that you had a good run, and that you learned a few more words than you knew before! :)
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Language Challenges”