30:30 Vocabulary Challenge - July 2023

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

30:30 Vocabulary Challenge - July 2023

Postby rdearman » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:57 pm

I posted a question about how to learn 50 words per day. And there are some great answers. I've trying to learn 50 words per day for the last few days, but it is too much. However, it did get me thinking about creation of a new challenge for building vocabulary. And this is it!

Super Challenge too easy?
6 week challenge too long?
365 day challenge just isn't a challenge for you?

Well, the 30:30 challenge is here to break you!

The idea is that in a month with 31 days (I'll explain why 31 in a 30 day challenge in a second) you learn 30 new words every day. Next month which is July has 31 days, so that is the day I've decided to start this challenge!

Starting on 1st of July, the challenge is to learn 30 new and unique words every single day. So in theory you'll have 900 new words at the end of that month. It doesn't matter for the purposes of this challenge how you learn the words, or how you review. You can use wordlists, or anki, or write them out on bits of paper, or inject the words via telepathy from an AI robot. But on day 31 of the month you have to take a test. I've created a google sheet (spreadsheet) which allows you to take a test.

You basically insert the TL word and the NL translation into the sheet, then sort by a column filled with random numbers, hide the TL word and take the test. Because it is a test with 900 words, it is going to take a lot of time. Even if you were typing in 10 words a minute, the test would still take an hour and a half. So this is why I'm reserving an entire day of the month just to take the test. I've also included a daily test for the 30 words you are doing that day. So you can test yourself daily before taking the final examination.

So how to do the challenge?
  1. Sign up here before the 1st of July saying what language your vocabulary is going to be in (You can build your vocabulary in your native language if you want)
  2. Take a copy of my Google sheet, then you can use Google Sheets, LibreOffice, Excel, whatever you prefer.
  3. Find 900 unknown and unique words (and translations which are used as questions for the test) and paste them in the spreadsheet.
  4. Test yourself on the 31st of July and report the amount out of 900 words you now know!
EDIT : Words can be in more than one language, or your native language.

I figure even if I learn more than 10 words, it is worth it. If I learn 900 words that would be brilliant!

If you want to post in this thread how you plan to remember, revise or otherwise learn the words, feel free to share! If this challenge is useful or popular then we'll run it again every month where there are 31 days.

In a world where vocabulary runs amok and learning feels like an insurmountable mission, there emerges a challenge unlike any other. Today, still wanted by the government, vocabulary survives as soldiers of fortune. So, if you have a linguistic conundrum, if expanding your language skills seems out of reach, if you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find it, maybe you can complete the 30:30 Challenge.

Feel free to make "A-Team" references when signing up to the challenge. I love it when a plan comes together.
16 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Re: 30:30 Vocabulary Challenge - July 2023

Postby Mista » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:12 pm

Do we make the list in advance? Or as we go along? Or is it optional?
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:49 pm

Mista wrote:Do we make the list in advance? Or as we go along? Or is it optional?

I'm making mine in advance, but it is optional.
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:53 pm

Ok, sign me up for this with Greek (modern).
3 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:49 pm

Ok, I'm in with Russian
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:13 pm

I suppose I should say I'm in with Korean. <= (I pity the fool!)
5 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Anya
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), French (C1), English, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, German, Turkish, Mandarin, Sanskrit, Catalan, Portuguese, Hungarian, Greek, Romanian, Occitan, Latin ...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=754&p=11667#p11667

Postby Anya » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:02 pm

I am in with Turkish.
4 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:23 pm

I am in. Which way to Berlin?

I may want to modify my choice of language prior to the challenge start date, but for now, I pick German. There will likely be some language overlap amongst participants, so it might behoove some of us to engage in informal pre-game word or list sharing to ease the task of coming up with the initial list of 900 unknown words. Such informal list sharing might allow us to build some 'words for thought' making future month challenges easier to prep for. Others may wish to keep their lists private. Words are quite personal after all. I personally would find it interesting which specific words people choose to include.

The pedant inside me also suggests freezing headers in the linked Google sheet (an easy thing to do now before everyone downloads it and starts using it).
5 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:59 pm

coldrainwater wrote:I am in. Which way to Berlin?

I may want to modify my choice of language prior to the challenge start date, but for now, I pick German. There will likely be some language overlap amongst participants, so it might behoove some of us to engage in informal pre-game word or list sharing to ease the task of coming up with the initial list of 900 unknown words. Such informal list sharing might allow us to build some 'words for thought' making future month challenges easier to prep for. Others may wish to keep their lists private. Words are quite personal after all. I personally would find it interesting which specific words people choose to include.

The pedant inside me also suggests freezing headers in the linked Google sheet (an easy thing to do now before everyone downloads it and starts using it).

Sharing list's is a great idea! I did a video on my YT channel which comes out tomorrow about how I am planning to get my list with a corpus word frequently program and text from online newspaper articles. I also cover getting a mp3 / wav file for listening to the words using OpenTts. I plan to to read and listen in hopes of driving the words into the old grey matter. This week I am planning to write some python scripts that will test me on the words.

I have to leave something up to the more pedantic user don't I? :lol: :lol:
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

diaconia
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1 in 2004), Russian (beginner), Ancient Greek (beginner), French (needs refreshing)

Postby diaconia » Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:31 pm

Mista wrote:Ok, I'm in with Russian

I'm going to follow Mista and try with my own list. Every attempt will be worth it!

rdearman wrote:Feel free to make "A-Team" references when signing up to the challenge. I love it when a plan comes together.

Col. "Hannibal" Smith: "Overkill is underrated!" So I'll be thinking about that when I'm struggling with my thirty!
4 x

Return to “Language Challenges”