A shorter Super Challenge

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Kerrie
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (passive)
Studying Italian, French, Portuguese, German
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2683

Re: A shorter Super Challenge

Postby Kerrie » Thu May 05, 2016 10:31 pm

I know this thread is kind of old, but it somehow caught my eye. It actually made me laugh.

IchBinEinPoly wrote:Although I am a fan of the idea of the Super Challenge, I have never been able to successfully complete one from start to finish just because of the sheer length of time involved.

Um, you realize the whole purpose of the Super Challenge was to be a SUPER. CHALLENGE. Right? It is not supposed to be easy, and it is not supposed to be for the faint of heart. It is supposed to be a huge commitment to advance your fluency in your chosen language.

Anyone who has completed a full Super Challenge in a single language, when that language started out below a B1ish, will tell you the same thing. The commitment - not only to time, but to consistency, and pushing yourself through those first painful steps, is very worth the reward you get out of it.

And yes to what emk, Cavesa, and kanewai said.

emk wrote:
  • 3 months
  • 300 pages of a book
  • 3 seasons of a television series
I'm open to other numbers—I just pulled these out of thin air. The idea would be to get over that first-book hump, and to try to make that first big chunk of progress with listening. How many pages and/or seasons did everybody feel they needed to make the first nice burst of progress?

I like this idea. But really, isn't that what the first part of the Super Challenge is about? That's how it was for me the first few months, my first 300 pages. It's the first semester of the program. Of course, if you start and you don't think the program is worth the time and effort, you can always just #giveup.

And Serpent, you made me laugh here, too.

Serpent wrote:
kanewai wrote:I also believe that a shorter reading challenge might not be effective, for the exact reasons EMK gave. I couldn't binge-read in any of my new languages until more than half way into the Super Challenge. Before that my reading speed was too slow, and it was too tiring to focus for long periods without lots of breaks.
That's exactly why I think it's better to read in more languages :roll: :?

Serpent wrote: I'd not pass even A1 in a few languages where I have a decent comprehension.

I think what it comes down to is your goals for any given language. Being able to understand a language in certain situations (for you, a lot of football :D ) is one thing, and being able to read the Classics in the original (kanewai) is another. Neither one is right or wrong, neither one is better or worse. They are just different. Most of the challenges around here are geared towards certain goals. If a challenge doesn't help you get to your goals, then pick another one. Or another five. :D :D
1 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: A shorter Super Challenge

Postby Serpent » Fri May 06, 2016 1:26 am

I want to read the classics too :P It wasn't so much about the types of content, but comprehension vs production.

I guess I should also clarify that I wouldn't pass A1 on the spot, with no preparation. I'm sure I could pass it in all or most of my low production languages after 1-3 weeks of preparing, I'm just not interested in cramming the touristy phrases etc.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “Language Challenges”