AI6WC: 2nd run, March 2023

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: AI6WC: 2nd run, March 2023

Postby DaveAgain » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:31 am

jeffers wrote:That leads me to the question of TV series or films. I suppose for me, if I was watching with English subtitles, I wouldn't consider that intensive, but for me, watching with native subtitles is very intensive. (I'm not sure about watching without any subtitles, but for me my attention wanders wometimes when I watch the French news with no French subtitles.) Thoughts?
French TV without subtitles often provides me with moments where I have no idea what was just said, because I couldn't distinguish the words, so I have to rewind, and relisten to unravel the mystery. :-). So it encourages intensive/close listening. With subtitles you/I might just rely on the text.

I don't have this problem with German because the words always seem clear, it's only moments later that I might realise I don't know what those words mean, by which time the plot has moved on.
0 x

badger
Green Belt
Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Postby badger » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:42 pm

jeffers wrote:If possible, I would like womeone to clarify what is meant by "intensive" in regard to reading and listening for this challenge. (Sorry, not sorry, for being "that guy" :lol: )

intensive means not extensive. :D

I've always been a bit vague on the exact definition of this (if there even is one), but I generally take it to mean that if you're skipping over words when listening/reading then it's extensive. if you're stopping to re-listen to bits you didn't catch, to look up the words, etc. then it's likely intensive - listening while driving, walking, etc. is almost certainly not going to be intensive as you aren't going to be stopping to look things up.
0 x
Super Challenge progress French (double):
reading: 5000 / 5000 reading: 5000 / 5000
watching: 150 / 150 watching: 150 / 150

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:09 pm

badger wrote:
jeffers wrote:If possible, I would like womeone to clarify what is meant by "intensive" in regard to reading and listening for this challenge. (Sorry, not sorry, for being "that guy" :lol: )

I've always been a bit vague on the exact definition of this (if there even is one), but I generally take it to mean that if you're skipping over words when listening/reading then it's extensive. if you're stopping to re-listen to bits you didn't catch, to look up the words, etc. then it's likely intensive - listening while driving, walking, etc. is almost certainly not going to be intensive as you aren't going to be stopping to look things up.

There are accepted definitions of intensive and extensive reading in education. Extensive reading a lot of texts, with emphasis on "large quantities for general understanding" (https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/professional-development/teachers/knowing-subject/articles/extensive-reading). Essentially extensive reading is reading for pleasure. It is not necessarily mutually exclusive to intensive reading. For a technical definition of intensive reading:
Intensive reading involves learners reading in detail with specific learning aims and tasks. It can be compared with extensive reading, which involves learners reading texts for enjoyment and to develop general reading skills.

(Source: https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/professional-development/teachers/knowing-subject/d-h/intensive-reading)

As I mentioned, they are not necessarily exclusive, and I suspect most of do a bit of both at the same time: reading a lot and looking things up "as needed".
0 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:15 pm

Fri Mar 17:
Writing: 151 min
Reading: 165 min

Total: 674 min = 11h14

badger wrote:

I think there should be room for individual variation in this question. I know that for my own part, I evaluate that differently depending on the language. This time around, I'm doing English, which I have spoken fluently and read regularly since I was 11 years old, and that means I'm very restrictive with what I count for a challenge like this. Basically, I'm doing academic writing, and I also count reading to the extent that the reading is connected to my writing. Last time, I did pretty much the same thing with German, mostly because I treated it as a specific project, but with a language like German or French, I would count any reading that involved something more than just reading - for example, something that I often do, underlining words in the text that I don't know (then I can look them up in the dictionary later, which I sometimes do and sometimes not, but I always plan to, of course). In an even weaker language, like Russian, I would probably count any reading as intensive regardless, because reading is always going to be intensive if you can't read fluently at all (on the other hand, I wouldn't join this challenge with Russian, because I've been doing it for the regular 6WC).

So as far as I'm concerned - if you judge your activity to be intensive, based on whatever subjective or objective criteria you have, that's fine with me.
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:25 pm

16 and 17 March: 89 minutes Coursebook
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:12 pm

50 minutes coursebook
0 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:48 pm

Sat Mar 18:
Reading: 281 min

Sun Mar 19:
Writing: 18 min

Mon Mar 20: nothing

Tue Mar 21: nothing

Total: 973 min = 16h13
0 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:25 am

Always been a big fan of the 6WC but it was a pity it was only for beginners. This one looks like the challenge I need :D I'm guessing I'm late for this one, and the next one is in May June?

[edit] I just see you've only been going for a week... I can reasonably accurately reconstruct what I did the past week.... :geek: might as well go for it, sign me up with Japanese!
1 x

badger
Green Belt
Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Postby badger » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:10 pm

brilliantyears wrote:[edit] I just see you've only been going for a week... I can reasonably accurately reconstruct what I did the past week.... :geek: might as well go for it, sign me up with Japanese!

done - welcome aboard :)
1 x
Super Challenge progress French (double):
reading: 5000 / 5000 reading: 5000 / 5000
watching: 150 / 150 watching: 150 / 150

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:11 pm

March 16th:
Reading: 120 min

March 19th:
Reading: 240 min

March 21st:
Reading: 120 min

March 23rd:
Reading: 60 min

This was all mostly reading, translating texts and deconstructing grammar of those texts, so I think that counts as intensive reading..?

Total: 540 minutes (9 hours)
0 x

Return to “Language Challenges”